Laughter under the Rain

Voiceless Cries (Completed)

9

 

Upon reaching the gateway, Jiyeon halted. She motioned that she would have to turn left. Myungsoo nodded curtly, not knowing how else to respond to her waves, before turning to the opposite side. Just when he was about to start his journey home, his eyes caught a black BMW parked on the side of the road with his chauffeur by its side. What was he doing there? He told him not to pick him up today.

Exhaling in frustration, he walked up to him. His chauffeur managed a stiff bow before articulating his reason for being there.

“Your mother told me to fetch you—“

“I told you not to come. Can’t you understand?” Myungsoo cut him off, his voice curled in annoyance.  The man in front of him blinked at the words thrown on his face. He smacked his lips together and clasped his hands.

“You are to observe the meeting today. Your mother is expecting you to be there,” he repeated what he had been told. He pulled the handle and swung the door open. All his five fingers pointed into the interior of the car, gesturing Myungsoo to come in. He looked up, directly into his eyes.

“Get in,” the words rolled off his tongue smoothly, as if he had practiced them for years. His tone was edged in a sinister way, as if to tell him that he had no choice but to do as he was told. The grim expression he wore was to kill the spirit Myungsoo had to escape this time.

Myungsoo cursed mentally, knowing that the other party had won. His expression though, had remained indifferent; he did not want to let the chauffeur taste his triumph. He slipped into the car: he had no choice.

The door beside him slammed close. A moment later, he heard the door beside the driver’s seat open and close. The engine started and the car went into motion. His eyes were fixed on the window as they passed the bare trees.

A girl on the bus stop ensnared his attention. She was rummaging through her wallet, as if in search of something. Her luscious dark hair covered her fair cheeks. Her head perked up and she looked at him; directly into his pupils. Jiyeon. Could she see him? The window was darkened but her gaze was so strong, as if she could see right through the glass.

Once again he was lost in those orbs. Though he was helplessly drowned it was neither horror nor distress that he discerned. In fact he felt calm and safe. He did not know which part of her that had him swathed; that intrigued him. It was as if she had him securely wrapped around her fingers.

When the light turned green and the car started moving, he forced himself to break away their eye contact. He felt Jiyeon’s eyes trailing the black car as it surged out of her sight. He sighed. What did it take to be in Jiyeon’s place right now; to feel world around him, knowing that he had the freedom to explore it?

The car stopped at the driveway and the bellboy opened the door. He stepped out onto the red carpet, straightened his coat and walked on as the bellboy bowed and muttered greetings to him. Four men dressed in black coats awaited him. Upon seeing him, they all bowed with impeccable grace.

“We have been waiting for your arrival, young sir. Please,” One of them said as they rose, gesturing him to lead the group. Myungsoo did not cast a glance at the men, held his head high and continued walking, with the four men striding behind him through the double doors that wrote: Van Chantique* Hotel.

He was still wearing the school’s dark blue coat. Though he had only dressed moderately he still managed to yank all the attention towards him. There was something in the aura that he gave off that demanded respect. All the employees bowed in his direction; acknowledging his presence. He strode through the lobby with an impervious composure.

 The lift door was wide open waiting for him. Standing on guard was a man dressed in those annoying uniformed black coats. He went in; following in suit were his escorts. He tapped his staff card on the scan and pressed the button that was on the top. The lift door closed; within the periphery of his vision the man in black was seen still bowing.

A hum fell over the lift as it ascended. With a ting, the lift stopped at the 35th floor. The door slid open and the men strode out. They turned the left corner and stopped right in front of the double doors. One of the staffs slashed his card on the scan. A green light appeared and the doors opened. A male voice boomed, announcing his arrival as he went in the dim room.

The sight of people bowing in respect greeted him. An oval table took up most of the space in the center of the room. This was surrounded by chairs which were fully occupied. His father’s seat was at the end of the table, which was nearest to the door and faced the screen directly.

“Ah, you are finally here. Quite late, are you not?” the words glided of his mother’s mouth, her voice edged with pleasure. She gracefully walked up to him, as if her feet were sliding on silk. She flashed an elegant smile as she tucked her hand on the crook of his elbow.

“Shall we proceed with the meeting?” her five fingers pointed to the screen as she gently shoved him to the seat beside hers. They were sitting outside the circle with a few more staffs whose eyes never left the screen. 

“We are just observing the meeting, not in the meeting itself,” his mother leaned and whispered as soon as the meeting resumed. She must have sensed his inquiring mind when he shifted uncomfortably in his seat.

“Your father and I are leaving for London as soon as the meeting ends,” she informed.  “To settle… some business.”

Myungsoo turned and raised his brows. He smirked as a devious plan formed in his head.

“Good, ‘cause I was thinking of hanging out somewhere with no intrusion from you. Maybe, I should go to the…” purposefully, he let his voice trail away, his eyes on the pen that he was playing with his fingers. The sly smile never left his face.

“Go straight home,” she hissed. A smile of satisfaction landed on his lips when his mother lost her calm composure. He leaned back on the chair and exhaled.

The meeting stretched on for two more hours and as soon as it ended the people started flowing out, quick to finish whatever business they had and head home. Myungsoo’s parents were the first to leave. He, however, had stayed behind until all of them rushed out. They did not seem to pay any heed to him anyway. After a dead silence filled the dark room, Myungsoo stood up.

Hands in his pockets, his eyes grazed through every part of the room, stopping only when it landed on the chair. His father’s seat. Soon, he would be the one who would own the seat. What would it feel like to have all the people under him? Would the aura of power emanate from him like how it did from his father?

He sat on the chair, as a rugged breath escaped from his lips.  The seat was still warm from his father’s body heat. It was nice to know that the leaders had sat on this very chair. It somehow gave him the sense of authority that they all held. He leaned his head back on the head rest and closed his eyes.

Just as he was about the drift into a slumber, the door swung open and a figure walked in. He forced his eyelids open and turned. The silhouette belonged to a woman: he was sure of it. She flicked on the light switch. He scrutinized her with half lidded eyes.

“Jiyeon?” he breathed, half asleep. His voice that lacked of energy showed his oblivion to the world. When reality finally sunk in, he jerked forward and his eyes widened.

“Jiyeon? What are you doing here?” his voice now no longer thick with sleep, he looked at her in disbelief. Jiyeon, who stood beside the door, seemed to be as surprised as he was. But then, her mouthed transformed into a grin and she showed him her staff card. She pulled in her cart which held a mop, several pieces of cloth and some other cleaning materials.

Of course, she was here to work. Why did he not think of that? He slumped back on his chair and looked at her.  She was picking up the mop. Scenes from the previous encounter flooded his head. Jiyeon had actually taught him how to sweep. He had felt her skin brush against his, and they so close that he felt her steady breath. It was ironic that their proximity had not annoyed him. Instead, it had set his heart racing. Why? He had not known.

He shook of the memory and walked up to her.

“I know how to sweep. And since mopping is not quite different, I know how to mop too,” he announced proudly. The last thing he expected was that she would break into an amused smile. His pride wounded, he said no more and stretched his hand, asking for the mop. When Jiyeon handed it to him, he went to edge of the room and started his work.

He’s got a good brain. Jiyeon thought. A beginner would never choose to start off from the end of the room. Watching the mop sliding on the surface of the floor, she thought that he had good skills as well. When she had finally trusted him to do the work, she picked up a damp cloth and started wiping the table.

-------

The clock read 11.30pm sharp. With the last inch of the floor done, his shoulders sagged. He never thought that working would be this hard, but the sense of achievement that swelled in his heart made it all worthwhile.

Jiyeon looked at Myungsoo and beckoned him to hurry. She would have to catch the last bus. Myungsoo jogged to her and gave her the mop. He volunteered to push the cart for her and she let him do so.

“You’re going home alone?” he asked when they had put all the things back in the store room. Jiyeon nodded.

“You’re taking the bus?” he inquired again.  Jiyeon nodded again. Myungsoo glanced at his watch. It was almost midnight. Was it safe for a girl to walk alone this late. Concern was etched on his features. He looked at her again. He had never offered this to anyone before. But what was the worst thing that could happen? No one was going to ask why he was late anyway.

“I’ll accompany you home.”

Jiyeon’s head jerked up. She was startled. But she did not reject in anyway. So there they were, sitting at the bus stop waiting for Jiyeon’s bus.

“So, I just put this in the box?” Myungsoo asked for what seemed like the millionth time, fidgeting with the coins in his hands. Jiyeon ignored him this time and stood up as the bus approached. Myungsoo followed suit. When they entered the bus, Jiyeon pointed to the box and Myungsoo dropped his fare there, relieved to be rid of the thing that bugged him. It was not his fault that he had never been on a public bus before. He trudged on and sat beside Jiyeon at the last seat.

There were only them and a few more people in the bus. Myungsoo figured that maybe it was because it was nearly midnight. he slumped in his seat with his hands neatly jammed in his pockets. His eyes wandered around trying to find something that could lift the heavy silence that was filling in the bus.

He looked to his right only to find Jiyeon staring out of the window. He wrecked his brain trying to figure out why he had let his guard down with this girl; why he had let himself be involved in her life. It was something he could not yet explain. By some complicated turn of events, their paths had always crossed.

Myungsoo did not know what to make out of this moment. They were both silent, but not awkward, though. How could you equate silence to awkwardness when the person involved was well, unable to speak?

Just as he was about to shift in his uncomfortable position, Jiyeon pressed the stop button.

The bus halted at the next station.  Jiyeon stood up, unsure of what to do. Seeing this, Myungsoo abruptly jerked up, his head banging the roof in his haste. Being the perfect gentleman – or so he let her believe– Myungsoo let her walk first.

“Ladies first,” he muttered.

But Jiyeon gave him an amused smile instead, as if challenging the truth behind his gentlemanly act. Just say you don’t know the way. Jiyeon thought, incredulous of his soaring pride. She gave him a teasing grin just to get his reaction. He tore his glance away from her and ignored her.

Jiyeon let the smile linger on the corner of her lips for a moment before walking past him. Myungsoo grudgingly trotted behind her, his pride severely wounded. Other girls tried so heart to appease him but this girl in front of him had found nearly every way to trample on his pride.

After they alighted from the bus, they started their walk to Jiyeon’s house. Myungsoo was wounded up in his own dissatisfaction. A dark aura ringed around him. His hands in his pockets, his face bore the expression of the devil himself.

Jiyeon sensed the gloom that had claimed her “”. Though the streets were almost empty, it was not spooky. Little light bulbs lighted the streets in an orange tint, like stars in the dark. The waxing moon hung in the sky, its radiance spilling out of endless black. The cool breeze whispered and hummed, beckoning the trees to dance in its rhythm. It was a beautiful night, and she did not want Myungsoo’s somber mood to spoil it.

A sign caught her eyes and she instantly grabbed Myungsoo’s wrist to drag him along with her. She stepped into a 24 hours ice cream shop. That was it: an ice cream would enlighten anyone’s mood. The salesgirl bowed greetings at them and Jiyeon gaped at the variety of ice creams that were displayed before her eyes. 

She went to the counter and without another second thought, she pointed to the tray that contained the strawberry ice cream. The salesgirl nodded and went to scoop it for her. Jiyeon looked and Myungsoo questioningly, her smile still on her face. Myungsoo nodded to her.

“Chocolate.”

The girl busied herself with her work. After handing the ice creams to them, she said with an amiable smile.

“That’ll be 5000 won.”

Jiyeon practically ransacked her wallet with no success in finding her money. She looked pleadingly at her wallet, praying that a bill would magically show up.

“Thank you,” the salesgirl bubbly voice pounced into her ears. Her head shot up instantly only to see Myungsoo handing the note to her. He started devouring his ice cream right after receiving his change and shoving them into his pocket. When he stepped out, Jiyeon followed.

Jiyeon gobbled up her ice cream to prevent it from melting any further. Just as she was about to cram the last bite into , Myungsoo poked her elbow. Jiyeon turned.

“You got some on your cheek,” Myungsoo said as-a-matter-of-factly, not meeting her gaze. Jiyeon rubbed her cheek and looked at her hand. Nothing. She nudged him to ask if it was gone.

“It’s still there,” Jiyeon wiped her cheek again, this time more vigorously. But it was to no avail. Myungsoo looked amused, his lips: though clamped shut, was curving. Frustrated, Jiyeon lifted her face, motioning Myungsoo to wipe it off for her.

“Don’t want to,” he said, while turning his head back to the road in front of him. He was like a four year old refusing to sleep when it was nap time. He continued off his ice cream. She tugged his sleeve and wait for him to turn.

When he did, Jiyeon sneakily swiped some of her ice cream and smeared it on his cheek. Now we’re even, she thought with a sly smile. Myungsoo’s bewildered expression changed as mocked fury arched between his brows.

“Yah, Jiyeon!” Jiyeon grinned as he tried to wipe the smudge off his cheek.

She only stuffed the remaining ice cream into not caring if it would create more smears. She was sure that Myungsoo was about to some more, because his mouth was opened. But whatever he planned to say was intercepted when the wind started howling, warning them of what was to come.

Myungsoo looked up at the clouds and Jiyeon did the same. He grimaced.

“It’s going to rain,” his voice grew softer at the end of the sentence. The clouds had covered the moon totally, swallowing all its magnificence. What he predicted was right; as soon as they lowered their gazes, the skies opened. Rain started pouring down relentlessly, soaking the both of them to the skin.

It was then that Myungsoo decided to finish his ice cream in a flash. He slipped off his coat and flipped it over their heads: as if that would protect them from getting wet. The sound of rain pounded on their ears as raindrops pierced through their garments; coldness pricking their skins like needles.

Despite all that, both of them were laughing. They were laughing. Jiyeon could not find the amusement behind their situation, but it was as if jubilation had rained upon them, filling them with warmth in spite of the cold; solace despite the misfortune. Tucked under his shadow, everything had felt just right.

Their footsteps rang audibly in the rain as they ran through the darkness of night. Upon reaching the gate, they were panting, but laughing at the same time. Jiyeon punched the door bell a couple of times and the door opened instantly. It was her mother.

 Her features darkened with shock and concern as soon as she saw her daughter.

“Jiyeon? What have you been doing?”

Her gaze landed on Myungsoo and curiosity crept into her eyes.

“And who have you brought home?” her tone had a slight edge as she scrutinized Myungsoo. He bowed in return.

“Kim Myungsoo,” he replied. She was relieved at the notion that Jiyeon had made a friend. And the fact that her friend was a good looking one appealed to her. Finally aware of her daughter’s soaked state, she ushered her in.

Myungsoo thought that she was about to close the door on him when she turned with a concerned smile on her face.

“Care to stay for the night?”

-------

*Chantique originates from a Malay word, cantik, pronounced as chan-tek. Cantik is an adjective which means beautiful, having beauty or very satisfactory in Malay.

Van Chantique initially started as a cosmetic company, hence, the name. It then spread and gained more fame and success and started its business in other fields but Van Chantique Hotel was their biggest project.

------

A/N:

I wonder who would open a 24 hours ice cream store in the middle of nowhere, but since this is pure fiction, I had to make it happen. ^^

Anyways, guys, sorry I’m late. I guess I had been partying too much after the exams that I almost forgot to write. And I said, I almost forgot: I hadn’t forgotten entirely. My sister reminded me yesterday night and I was like, OMG VOICELESS CIRES!!! D:

So I made a longer chapter (and hopefully an interesting one) to make up for it. I Hope you guys are ok with it.

-Faith