Coldhearted

Voiceless Cries (Completed)

4

 

Jiyeon's black shoes traced the path as she strolled towards the clock tower. Grey clouds draped over the once clear skies, covering the world in a gloomy impenetrable darkness. The frigid wind seeped into her skin and poured cold into her bones.  Her coat could hardly shield her from the sharp wind as winter enclosed its strong grip over the country.

Her feet stopped at the arrival at the clock tower. Her eyes skimmed the surroundings, searching through the murky shadows. Upon the sight of a vague, yet familiar silhouette sitting under the branches of a tree, she paused. He was there.

It had been a week since the last encounter with the man. He had been coming here ever since that day, sitting on the same spot despite the chilly weather. He would be there when she arrived and she would find him still leaning against the tree when she left for home. He never tried to make any attempt of conversation, but sat fixed on that same spot. She was restless at his presence at first, confused and scared by his intentions of sitting there. Gradually, she found ease in his constant appearance. She found comfort in the knowledge that the secret of the entrance of the clock tower was shared between only them and she knew that he would never betray her trust.

Her hands started and felt for the familiar alcove in the wall. The door opened and she walked into the familiar dark abyss. 

 

------

The music she played soaked into the air. It literally did. Traveling with the wind, it whispered and sang to his ears. The sound ranged from low to high, flowing with distinct emotions that gave the music its own voice. It chirped in a tune more beautiful than a nightingale's song. It chanted, roared, whistled and chimed, the notes melting into each other. When he noticed that the playing was calmer than the first time he heard her, he smiled.

Thank you, the wind breathed into his ear, rich and real.

Myungsoo jolted. With that, the song ended, leaving him in a confused reverie. Who had whispered to him earlier? 

The door opened and she came out. For the first time in a week he turned his head towards her to find her gaze on him. She seemed hesitant but her lips curved into a faint smile. It was vague and he would not have seen it if he did not observe it but it was there. Her eyes revealed a flash that proved her sincerity. When his expression remained indifferent, she bowed and walked off. As usual, he waited a few minutes before following her path out of the school grounds. 

"I'm talking to you, fool," a voice, rich in anger and annoyance made him stop in his tracks. Thinking that the voice was just an imagination, he spun around. Sure enough, it was not. There, she stood, surrounded by a group of girls, fear marked on her face.

Jiyeon breathed her breath quick and heavy of fear. The girls that surrounded her were toying with her like cats playing with their mouse before preying them. The leader laughed, and the others followed. Then, she leaned over, so close to her face, she could feel her breath on her face. 

"Scared eh, little mouse?" Her tone prickled Jiyeon's skin. True, she was scared, but it had not been the number of people or the person itself that had scared her. It was the wild light of hunger that was flashed in the girls' eyes. They were savouring their dominance on her and she was powerless against them. So she gave up on ever fighting these girls even before the fight started; as if she was wounded before even attacked; dead before even killed.

Myungsoo watched the scene with disinterested eyes. He could have gone to save the poor girl. He could have threatened the bullies with his mere presence. His cold gaze could have scare them away. But he, being a heartless Kim Myungsoo, left her. 

 

 

------

A/N:

Sorry guys, I am kinda late. And sorry it is a short chapter. I am very, very busy  this week and did not find time to do this, but hey, chapter 4 is here! And I am going to divulge a secret in chapter 5, so wait for it, kay? In the mean time, enjoy! :)

-Faith