The Piano

Voiceless Cries (Completed)

1

For every story, there will be a day where a beginning is marked; where everything starts to fall into place. A day; a time when you feel that things will remain the same but all in truth, without you knowing, it is the moment where the wheel of fate starts to turn. One event will lead into others. And before you know it, you will be too deeply, intricately drowned in the game that fate plays and there will be no way out. But I believe that every beginning has its ending. It can be an ending where you will come out victorious, or it can be one that will make you live on your knees. Despite knowing what you have to lose, will you stay put and risk everything you have, or will you guard what you have and watch life as it passes you by? The choice will be ultimately yours.

 

20th January 2007.

The last bell announced the end of school. Students hastily packed their bags, their attention diverted to putting things away. The teacher strode out of class defeated as she realized that it was a lost cause; the once hushed class had reverted to its noisy state, filled with endless, needless chatters, and shouts. As if they were cheering for the end of lesson. And who could blame them for their excitement and elation? It was Friday; the last day of school for the week, finally.

“Are you free tomorrow? Want to go out with me?"

"Miyeong, go home with me today!"

"Quick, I have violin practice after this!"

"Did you see your crush just now? He was so hot!"

Right after the voices reached its maximum level; the students started leaving, one by one. Gradually, all the students flowed out and the voices died down. Before the last person went out of the classroom, she noticed a girl sitting by the window. Her head was turned away; gazing blankly at the reddening sky. Something about the girl spoke of anguish. But even as the sun was slipping slowly away; as the shadows were tucking her gently in, she was still a sight to behold. She sat unmoving in her seat; so still that one could easily mistook her as a statue. A beautiful; sad statue. The girl halted: confused. It took her a few moments to remember the girl's name.

"Jiyeon, are you going out?"

Jiyeon looked up and saw that the other girl was looking questioningly at her. Quite taken aback, she flinched visibly but immediately shook her head. Later. The tense atmosphere almost made the other girl flee but she managed to nod. And then she was gone: as swift as the afternoon wind. But Jiyeon paid no attention and felt almost relieved that she did not stay any longer for any conversation. It was then that she started packing her bag, her two hands moving unhurriedly as she put her books in the green bag. After her work was done, she stood up and pushed her chair in. She left the dark, empty class and strode through the deserted hallways. It was funny how she found comfort in the loneliness that filled every corner of the space. She skipped out to the school compound, almost happy.

She could not go home now, she thought. There was nothing to be anticipated at home: just the burden of homework, dinner and another night of listening to her too enthusiastic parents talking. It dismayed her to think that her voice could not fill her home like her parents'. That was her daily cycle but today, she wanted to do something different. Something that could make her leaves without an empty heart. Smiling a bitter smile, she walked on, taking deep breaths as she went. It smelt of winter.

So she meandered around the school grounds, stopping by the gardens once in a while and going in and out staircases. But all she availed was exhaustion after walking for so long. Jiyeon settled on a bench and watched as the sun inched its way downwards. It was already late. But just before the sun disappeared completely, she heard the clock tower chimed. The sound so beautiful: it was unlike anything she ever heard. Beguiled, it brought her to her feet. As if in a trance, she followed the sound that was singing to her ears and ended up standing in front of the clock tower which soared into the sky in magnificence.

She had no idea what had got into her, but she began to circle around the clock tower, searching for something she did not even know. Her cold hands explored the crooks of the wall. When her fingers felt a barely noticeable alcove, her lips twitched. She knew right then that she had found what her heart had been searching for. It was a door, an entrance of some kind, hidden beneath the creeping ivory. She wondered how the clock tower had aged with time and the entrance had long been forgotten. Her heart raced as she pushed the door open.

The clock tower welcomed its first visitor in many years with utter darkness. She shut the door behind her and treaded further into the darkness. Still unfamiliar to the darkness, Jiyeon walked tentatively on. Suddenly, her leg caught on something and she stumbled. Her hands grappled for support. She fumbled and grabbed whatever she could. When she had regained her balance and rearranged her thoughts, she decided to investigate the very thing that had saved her from the fall. It was not very tall, somewhat like a table, but its edges curved delicately. Her eyebrows furrowed. What could it possibly be? She ran her thoughts deeper and deeper. Then a realization made her gasp out loud, and her lips curved into an unexpected smile. It was undoubtedly a piano.

Her head was riddled with questions. Who could have left it here? Why was it here? How long had it been here? But only confusion remained as she asked more questions so she pushed them towards a corner of her head, and she distracted herself with the newest discovery she had made.

Though dust had collected on the surface, it was still smooth: as if it was well taken care of. She opened the cover and ever so gently ran her fingers over the keys that had undoubtedly missed a human's touch. The sound it made resonated through the building. She sat down on the stool. Having seen and heard the notes in her head, she did not need to see the keys. Then, effortlessly, she began to play.

The notes bounced and slid off each other, and then sang together as one to perform a beautiful piece. Her fingers glided over the keys, as graceful as a swan. Her feelings poured out endlessly, flowing like an infinite river as she responded to the music that had called out to her soul. The sound was more beautiful than anything. A tear slid gently down her cheek. Overwhelmed with emotions, a spirit was blown into the music; it swirled through the air, danced with the wind and filled her empty heart.

 

---

A/N:

The first chapter is up! Enjoy! :)

-Faith