Career Decisions

Confessions of a 17 Year Old

 

 

 

 

Career Decisions

 

 

 

 

What I hate the most is the fact that adults expect us teenagers to choose a career at the age of 15-18. They can’t force us to act adults suddenly when just yesterday we had to ask when to go to the bathroom at school. I’ve always been frightened the fact that one day I will hate my job because I was forced to choose a career at a young age. Looking at it, I honestly we have to start off somewhere, so I guess this method is effective in some way or another. 

 

This post is about my dreams and goals in the future, however I have to write what I truly feel. What I truly feel is me being feeling lost. I am a girl who fears that I will never know what I truly want in life, that I am scared I will never settle down or find a job. I’m scared of what lies ahead of me. I’m overwhelmed with my options as a student and I am scared to disappoint my parents. 


So it may sound confusing, but let me start from the start. I am studying secondary teaching, majoring in social science, biology and foreign languages in University. Do I want to be a high school teacher? I don’t know. I only chose a teaching course is because I didn’t know what to choose. I want to be a lawyer, a doctor especially but I’m not smart enough. My mind changes every few days when I get inspired to be something, it worries my parents that I keep changing my dream job. 

 

They can’t expect me to know what I want at 17 years of age, I myself still don’t know what I want to do in life. I have dreams of earning money, travelling the world, I have strive and I work hard in things I love however I still can’t bring to know what I really want. It’s worrying my parents and it is worrying myself. 

 

Another thing is that I can see my parents hating me for doing this course. No they do not hate me but they hate the fact I’m doing an ‘easy course’. They believe I am capable of much more, but what if I know I can’t? I can’t do medicine because it takes years. I can’t do a business course because I at business and the only subjects I was good at in high school was biology and social science. So I decided to specialise in those areas and become a teacher until I find something I enjoy. I don’t know, everything for me is confusing, I feel so lost, so overwhelmed. 

 

So what I need to talk about is my future after my course. I’m thinking of dropping out of my course and going into something I enjoy more. I’m either going to choose nutrition to be a nutritionist, midwifery or continue my teaching. 

 

Also I have another option.

My lecture last week pulled me aside and told me that so far I am doing amazing in my foreign languages class. I am the only one in my class scoring a 7 (which is equivalent to an A+). I am doing so well in that class because I love foreign languages. So my teacher offered me a broacher to study abroad in London, New Zealand, Canada, Switzerland, Japan, India and Korea. After looking through the others and researching I decided to stick to the one in Korea.

The offer deal in Korea offered me a spot in Yonsei University as an international student, I also was going to board there and get a job at the campus as an English tutor to other Korean students who studies at Yonsei University. The broacher also included a spot in Seoul National University, of course I have to pay.

 

I  am receiving so much opportunity but it’s far to overwhelming to the point where it’s driving me crazy. I mean if I go to Korea I will be gone for almost 5 years, away form my family. That I can’t do :( At the same time I want to go and travel the world. 

 

See what I mean when it comes to confusion. It’s all to confusing and hard to deal with. There’s so many opportunities where I have to choose one. I’ve talked to my parents and they said that they will support me in anything I do and in anything I want. But how can I know what I want when I don’t know anything about myself? 

 

So this is why I hate career day, why I hate teachers and parents telling us to choose our careers so early. We are young, and we are forced to dream big, know our wants when we are just entering a stage in our lives where we are still trying to figure our selves out. We want to have a good life, we want to make our parents proud, we just want to make the right decision. We don’t need time to think, we don’t need support. We just need to let our hair down, find ourselves and let everything roll naturally and then we work for what we want. I guess this only works for people who are lost, because right now I am watching my aunty who is age 50 struggling in her job as a doctor. She hates it and wants to work in authority instead. However, she’s too old to go back to school or get a job with the government. So until she retires she has to work with stupid job that she hates going to. I don’t want that to be me, I want to be free, I want to go to work every morning to something I enjoy. I remember my English teacher, she inspired me to be a teacher. She was an amazing teacher and that was because she enjoyed her job, she loved children and had a belief that every child can make it. Now thats what I want in my life, I want my life after university to be exiting.

So far I have nothing in mind when it comes to knowing what I want, and right now I am going to take it as it is. I am going to do what I love, take the bull out of my life and think about my future. I know one day that it will hit me, that I will one day wake up and suddenly know what I want. I will work hard for my dream, as I have done so before. As long as I work hard, never forget my past and not step on people I know I will be successful in what I do.

 

 

 

 

 

Honest ten: Dream Job edition
Every update I'm going to update 10 honest facts relating to me, it might be about my bias, my life, k-pop idk, it depends how I feel that day.


This HT will be about the careers I've thought about doing
1. Nutritionist-
2. Doctor
3. Midwife- imagine all those 's you see
4.Lawyer
5.Primary School Teaching
6.An author
7.A travel Blogger
8.A fashion designer
9.A K-pop idol- Let's be honest... we have all dreamed of this
10.A psychologist

 


Photo of the week

Didn't do much, I went to University everyday of this week so here's a photo of my outfit.

 

 

 

 

 

5 things I did this week:
I will be posting my top 5 activities of this last week

1.I went out on Friday night with my friend for dinner at a Korean restaurant
2. I went out today with my parents and sister for lunch at a Chinese restaurant
3. I passed my exam!
4. I went had work :(((
5.I found out my crush thinks I'm stupid :((