My Opinion on K-Pop

Confessions of a 17 Year Old

 

 

 

 

My opinion of Kpop?

 


When someone ask me what I think about it, I say K-pop to me is a genre. Yes to me K-pop is a music genre. It is very different from mainstream music, country music, hip hop and such. This is when it gets confusing, I know K-pop has other genres like country (4 minutes sub unit), hip hop (Jay Park) and balled but I define K-pop when people are singing in Korean. Yes Korean words makes up the genre for me.

My opinions are very very different from others, as I listen to more of the groups songs then watch their image or how I think K-pop is putting me off nower days. Compared to when I first enter the K-pop world I have started to notice that idols and artist are different, I believe artist are more superior then idols. Nower days I see K-pop idols trying to be idols because of the money and popularity unlike in the past where idols loved what they were doing. I feel like idol's don't sing as a group, they sing one after the other unlike older groups that sing together showing their great bond. I have so many opinions on K-pop that I have been itching to write this down. If you read the following, please no hate!

 

 

 

The "Big 3"

 

I decided to talk about the "Big Three" Because I mostly listen to their  music, I believe these companies produce the best K-pop groups, best concepts and best songs. I wanted to talk about them because I have the strongest opinion on these three companies. I hate it when people go, "They are only popular because they are from the big 3," like no. They are popular because their company is smart enough to promote them well, with a kick song, dance and concept. 




 

For me SM is the best only because I am an SM Stan heheheh. I love how each SM artist is very good looking, they have the best personality and have actually have talent. People who said that SM artist don’t have talent, please at least each SM artist can either, act, sing or dance. They all have a strong attribute, like Yoona from SNSD she can dance like crazy but still sing, same with Hyoyeon and Yuri. Siwon from SUJU can sing! he obviously can dance if he can catch up to the other members dance moves. Baekhyun may not be the best dancer in EXO but he is one of the main singers. Seriously I love how the entertainment puts the members in groups based on their talent, and so each group has a singing line and dancing line and both attributes complement each other. It makes a group looks powerful and unstoppable, see look at EXO or SNSD.

For me I believe SM is the best entertainment because they don’t harshly treat their artist. People who complain they do, just because they don’t hear the artist opinion doesn’t mean they hate their job. Obviously they love what they are doing and maybe the hard work they are putting on is their decision. It’s their decision to work extra hours to perfect a dance number because they want to give a good show to their fans, do people ever think of that? I hate how everyone blames SM for everything, yes I get that they are the entertainment but don’t they realize that most artist under the entertainment consider SM their home. Some have been in the same company since they were in elementary school, wouldn’t it hurt them when hearing that their fans are hating what they call their home or their family? I hate how SM gets blamed for everything, like seriously do you know the music industry as well as SM, what’s that no? So sit down because I bet SM wouldn’t do anything without any purpose. Before I got distracted I said I believed that SM is the best when it comes to treating their idols, honestly the story behind JYJ and Hangeng is a different story, it maybe SM’s fault or their own and using the ‘slave contract’ as a cover story. Compared to companies SM lets their idols date, they let them be free, have holidays, give them first class flights and let them have mobile phones unlike other companies who band their artist to have phones.

What I love about SM is that they have great methods promoting their artist, I get people complain about F(x) not getting enough attention and that SM hates them. Um please, if SM hates them them SM wouldn’t have debuted F(x), they wouldn’t have accepted Amber and make her dress as a girl. Also has anyone realize that they are busy with individual schedules that they can't properly promote. Victoria is filimg a movie in Japan, Sulli is filiming two movies back to back. How can they promote in that time when two members are missing? 
I love how for music videos they have these ‘SM boxes’, some may think it’s boring but for me it’s a way to show their dance moves that SM paid a lot of money for choreographers to make up these moves. What I don’t get is that people complain a lot about it, like with SNSD, they companied about them continuously producing music video’s in front of a box. When Mrmr came out I swear everyone wanted to see more of the dance. OMG I SWEAR SOME PEOPLE! I also hate how people say that one person doesn’t get enough lines for example; Hyoyeon, Sehun, Minho and more. Look, these guys are dancers, yes they dance. Can these people that are complaining sing really well and dance 100% for me and tell me if they can do it. These guys aren’t perfect and some can’t handle doing both especially at their age, for god sakes Hyoyeon is 25. My friend is 25 and she’s married. Like seriously! .


I get people are annoyed how F(x) doesn't have a fandom name, nor concerts yet. I understand that as an F(x) fan it's getting to me but understand that SM might not think the Fandom is big enough to be named yet, they obviously want more. EXO as well, sure they are known for having a lot of Saseng fans but because we learn about the fan we never really hear the total number of fans EXO really has. It may not be as much as we think, they are known but don't actually have that many people following them. I hope SM let's EXO and F(x) have a fandom name, I will get pissed if SM gives EXO fans a name before F(x). 

Also what I'm annoyed about is how fan complain about the music SM produces, "I got a boy" is ing fantastic, mashing three different tempo's genius!! and Rum Pum Pum, omg the lyrics, the base of the song amazing. I love how it builds from the verse to choruse really well and now MrMr, even more brilliant. But theres these es who don't understand music complaining as if it's the worst song ever.I just.. I don't even know. Then there are es who are like, "SM Lip syncs," ummm have you watched SM artists performance? 90% of the time they are singing live, do you know how hard it is to sing live and dance really well at the same time? Also there are other es be like, "SM artist don't even write their own songs," No they actually do. Sure they aren't the title track but they actually write songs in the album and trust me, it's amazing!

Overall SM Entertainment isn’t a perfect company but they got to where they were because they produce good music and have talented artist. I think it’s a good company but the netizen I swear, I will find you all and kill you who think of the most stupidest things.

 

 

 

 

 

 


 I'm a fan of YGE but not as hardcore as SME and there is a reason why behind my reasoning. I could love YGE, I already do love their artist and songs but I can't like the entertainment as a whole. This is because the entertainment it self is trying to be this western/ hip hop company.  I love how the company lets each artist shine, rather having them sing songs that don't express who they are they are allowed to be different show their emotion and their real self when they perform. I personally think YGE  produces one of the best songs. Let's be honest we all know YG is one of the top entertainment's and are popularly known, and so do the artist know how popular they are. I hate how they act like top , it's like yes we all know you're on top, yes you have some good songs but you are also  human treat yourself equal, keep your earnings to yourself. I understand that it maybe just the concept, but too me it's too over the top, just to much confidence. Firstly let's start with G-Dragon, I love the guy, I seriously think he is a artistic genius. What I don't like is that his head is growing even more and what I mean is his popularity. He is turning into someone who thinks it’s cool to hang out with Justin Bieber and snoop dog. Like seriously they are a disgrace in the music industry, there is no artistry behind their music, Snoop dog’s songs are about weed like plz? And Justin Bieber like some songs of his are alright but his attitude lately is wreaking my perspective on his music. GD is much of a better artist then Snoop Dog and Justin Bieber put together he doesn’t need team up with them to be successful. Honestly I still have not forgiven SNSD working with Snoop Dog. With CL I hate how she is trying to be this “Baddest Female,” No you are not bad so please sit down. Singing about being bad and actually acting like a bad girl is a whole different meaning, if CL is to act “bad” then she would be hated by the public, shes just singing about being bad. Also I love how CL was taken a photo with Nicki Minaj, please they sat next to each other at a fashion show. It doesn’t mean they are friends, it doesn’t mean anything, for all we know Nicki Minaj doesn’t even know who CL is. I hate how people were like “omg they are so close,” “They should have a song together,” like no. CL is very talented, like GD she doesn’t need Nicki Minaj because the truth is CL is much more talented then that fake doll. 

 


Honestly the artist in YGE are very very talented, I sometimes think they are more talented then then some of the artist in SME. However, what I hate the most is that they are trying to western, omg can’t Kpop be Kpop and Western music be western music. Like YGE is like feeding of American artist to be successful in the states, when idols like Girls Generation and Wonder girls literally started form the bottom. It annoys me how YGE think they are top , and omg PSY. Gosh he’s the worst of them all, I love the old PSY the one I use to watch on variety show, the PSY before Gangnam Style. He’s not popular for being “talented,” he popular for the wrong reasons, I swear everyone in my class is making fun of how stupid the song is. It’s a novelty song, would an artist would rather be want to be known for being a laughing stock or would want people to pay attention for their artistry. What I hate is that PSY is famous out of all the idols who deserve to be on top, I’m sure he went through a lot of training and works hard just like the others but look at SNSD and Wonder Girls  they worked their butts off to be known in the states and still did not succeed. However, PSY becomes famous for releasing a song that isn’t that great, people just love to dance to it.

Overall I love the artist, I love love Lee Hi and Big Bang, I love Dara and Bom’s voice is amazing. I love watching the trainee video’s YGE uploads because the talent in that entertainment is amazing but I hate how YGE is becoming westernised. I hate how they think that they are top when really in Korea they are not that popular as they are in different countries because of their westernised songs. What I also love about YGE is how each artist is very close to YG himself. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I honestly don’t know if JYP is still part of the big “three” well I still consider them as part of the big three. I think JYP is a good entertainment as they train their artist really well. However, they use some artist too much that they become boring and overrated, like Suzy, Sohee and 2pm. I swear 2pm is in every CF! What I’m not a big fan of JYP, they produce good songs but the company doesn’t really attract me. The only thing I like about JYP is the fact how they produce good songs and video’s. What I hate is JYP himself. I feel like he’s a mother living his dream through this children. Sure he was an artist before, but he had his turn and he is there to be a mentor not to be an idol again. You don’t see Lee So Man being apart of Prime Minister and I or To the Beautiful you. Why does JYP have to be in Dream High then, like doesn’t he have to do something like idk run a recording company, he is a CEO after all. Overall I think JYP needs less JYP and more of the artist promoting. I don’t know what happened to JYP over the years, it is going down but slowly it’s going up again which is good but it’s still not as good as what they were before. By the way, am I the only who enjoys watching the closeness of each 

 




Other entertainments: My opinion on them is very negative, I hate how they all have that favorite artist they continue to promote, Starship: Hyorin, Cube: Hyuna. Obviously some companies are good and some manage their artist badly and that is why their artist isn’t on top. I don’t really have any opinion on other companies as I don’t really follow them, like I said I’m an SM stan, I love YGE’s artistry and JYP for me is an alright company but I still follow their agroups.

 

 

What I think of the y concepts lately: I think because I’m a big fan of Girls day, I love their “Something” concept. I haven’t seen Nine muses, I love AOA’s miniskirt song, Sumi’s Full Moon song is alright but I prefer 24 hours, Rainbow Blaxx, don’t even get me started and Stellar’s new image is alright. 


So with these y concepts I have notice I like the song and then I see the music video or live performance I get turned off. The y concept is a very broad topic for me, like for me there are two types of y. The y where people wear revealing clothing and do ual moves(Rainbox Blaxx) and theres the fully clothes y, acting confident and still doing ual moves (SNSD MrMr). I still think you can be y by acting confident while fully clothed, I mean look at SNSD Mrmr, EXO growl, sister Alone, MBLAQ Smoky Girl. See how they are doing ual dance moves but fully clothed. All I have to say for the y concepts  are trying to hard to be y that I can't help but cringe. It doesn't even look like they want to do it, they are only doing  it for the popularity. For some groups they don't even suit the concept. I don’t mind watching them as I listen to the song more then I watch the video’s. However, I believe an an idol/ artist they can express themselves to how they want to and if they feel y by wearing revealing clothing then heck go for it! Who cares what people are saying, they aren’t killing anyone but also there is a line that needs to be drawn. In that case I feel like Rainbow Blaxx and Stellar crossed that line. I love both songs but the moves and the MV is just so uncomfortable, I literally cringe and it’s just… erghh I can’t even talk about it. I think it’s the fact that it looks all forced and that’s what makes me cringe. That is when I hate seeing the y concept, yes I agree that K-idols have the right to reveal their skin or do ual moves but when some artist go to far or looked forced to do it, that is when I have a problem with it. 

I also hate how foreign fans hate how Korean watchers hate it when Korean broadcasting system reacts to a certain MV, Live performance, lyrics or stage outfit. Some people are inclusive to culture, some don't understand how Korean culture works. I too don't have a big idea as I am not Korean but we need to understand to be conserved with the Korean's innocent eyes. Like half of what we are seeing on youtube aren't even made for the foreign audience but for the Korean public.  



Foreign fans: I myself is a foreign fan and I think there is nothing wrong with being a foreign fan but I suggest that if you are going to make a comment then think before you do. Korean lifestyle is different from other cultures such as plastic sugary. You’d be doomed if you get surgery in other countries but in Korea is pretty normal. There is about six Korean students in my university class and five out of six has gotten sugary before. One of them even told me that her dad told her to get her nose done so he picked her up early form school and together they went to a plastic surgery place to get it done. Also relationships with idols, I’ve been told by one of my classmates that it is big news for idols to be dating but in different countries people may think “What’s the big deal.” Apparently, I’ve been told that Korean’s don’t usually have different gender friends, if your male you hang out with the guys, if you're a girl you hang out with the girls. Apparently it is rare to be friends with someone from the opposite gender unless they are your partners friends. So apparently for a Korean idol to be seen hanging out with another person from the opposite gender people speculate which apparently is normal. Also the uality and respect over elders which some foreign fans don’t seem to grasp on. In Korea they respect their elders, they bow to them, they call them by a special title and so on. When an K- idol is in the news for not respecting an older idol usually foreign fans go crazy saying thats nothing in their culture. Yes that's your culture, I'm talking about the Korean culture!! As a foreign fan I think they need to have more of an understanding of the Korean culture. I just don’t understand that they want to be live in Korea, speak the language or be re born into a Korean but wont learn to respect the culture. I hate it when people go “Omg why do Koreans overreact,” Thats their culture idiot, different countries have different values they hold and I just wish foreign fans would understand.

Anti’s and saseng fans: Honestly I love K-pop but I don’t dedicated my life to it. Firstly how can anti’s hate people they have never met in their life, don’t know their story and thirdly know nothing much about them except that they are a in a group. Like seriously I don’t even… these anti’s are crazy and I’m not sure if the rumours I heard are true but they go to the extreme to bring their target down. I just hope that one day they will fail at life because they spent their time at school sending bash letters to idol groups instead of studying. They end up not getting into college, getting a part time job from here to there while they watch the idol group they once sent death threats to on TV at the run down place they work at. I don’t know how people have the time or heart to do this to idols who worked hard to get to where they are. Like I express my opinion when I don’t like an idol group or a certain member but I explain and actually have a answer to why I dislike them. That is different from sending hate letters. Obviously no one is perfect enough to get everyone to love them, but no one deserves to get death threats and other hurtful messages. Apart form Anti’s there are saseng fan who I don’t even consider as fans. Like seriously, whyyyy you do this, it’s because of them I’m starting to move on from K-pop. It’s because of them our idols cannot be honest with us, or we see less of them. One of my classmates met Junsu from JYJ when she was Korea a few years ago and she asked for a photo but she he said he can’t because his manger said he can’t take pictures with fans because of Saseng fan. I don’t get them, there is a no chance they will ever get with their bias. Mostly likely because an male kpop idol would go for a model or a pretty face, someone who isn’t creepy or even actually went to school and attended school. Unlike these saseng fans who don’t bother going to school because they would rather go to their bias schedule! Arghhh these fans are crazy who quickly jump into conclusion. 

White girls in MV’s lately: I’m not being racist or anything but why do they must put white girl’s into K-pop mv’s, CN blue can’t stop me now, Eunhyuk and Donghae motor cycle, TVXQ Spell bound and Something. Like seriously they don’t fit the scene, the mv is very cringe worthy that I can’t even watch it. They both look very uncomfortable. Please stop putting white girls in K-pop music video’s.

 


Overall you see that I listen to the music more the the production of the MV, I hate how K-pop collaborates with Western artist, I hate most kpop fans and that JYP annoys me. This is my opinion about K-pop. I know people will disagree with me but please understand that we all have different opinions about different things. I hate how people don’t appreciate K-pop from the western world as well and people outside Kpop make rascist remarks as they have worked hard and trained for years to be a kpop idol. For me K-pop is my escape to the rubbish music Americans keep producing, I think Kpop shouldn’t turn westernised as I think it deserves to be its individual self. Kpop shouldn’t be reaching to the America music industry, the American music industry should come to Kpop.

I also find it annoying how nower days groups have been moving from cute to y concepts, it annoys me how they aren't doing a concept because it suits them but because gain popularity, and the company will make some $$ I hate hate hate that, why can't an idol grow and be an artist, someone inspring not someone who is doing y concepts because it will get them to be popular. What happen to the time when K-idols became performers because they actually loved what they were doing and they were passionate about it. I hate reading articles complaining how they aren't as popular as other groups who debuted the same year as them, like who cares. If you love what you are doing you wouldn't care about popularity, I mean look at 2ne1, not once did they care about SNSD beating them. Even thought they knew that SNSD with a bigger fanbase will ruin their chance to get a trophy form a music show, they still continued promoting because they love performing! A big example of that (Rainbow!) Omg. 


 


Honest ten: Kpop edition
Every update I'm going to update 10 honest facts relating to me, it might be about my bias, my life, k-pop idk, it depends how I feel that day.

My top ten biases

1. Kim Taeyeon
2. Luhan
3. Lee Hyeri
4. L
5. Yoona
6. Donghae
7. Jessica

8. Sehun
9. G-dragon
10. Sergui 

 



By the way guess who's going to Justin Timberlake's concert on their 18th birthday? Yep thats right I will!

 

 



There won't be any photo of the week becuase I didn't do anything this week but went to uni and studied lol.
 

 

 

 


**New- 5 things I did this week:
I will be posting my top 5 activities of this last week

1. Went out to lunch with my parents at a chinese resturant
2. Went to a K-pop shop and spent an hour getting to it, also spent $21 on poster, yes posters alone. 
3. GOT JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE TICKETS
4. Past my first university assignment
5. Started my diet today, lets see how long this will last