Life

Smile When It Hurts Most

 

 

 

Everyday. Life.
So much routine...
I wanted something a bit more, different.
I'm Jessica Jung, also known as Ice princess. I'm gonna skip the intros.
Well seems you want to know my part in this story. Right?
Sure. I can tell you.
 

I've lived in this neighborhood for 5 years, since my family came from the U.S.
Also I've known the girl named Kwon Yuri since I first came here.
Don't expect me to tell you all these lovey and dovey feelings and moments cause there weren't any.
Kwon Yuri she's just too stubborn to understand that I don't love her and that I'll never feel any kind of warm, fuzzy feeling for her.
I pity her. Truly. I don't think it's too hard to understand I'm in love with someone else.
Even though I'm cold and I pity Yuri doesn't mean I want to see her heartbroken.
She always does all these nice things to me but...I simply can't return her love.
She simply can't melt my ice. Those powers belong to someone else.
Hwang Mi Young or Tiffany, now there's the one who can melt the cold and hard layers of ice arround my heart.
She did it from day one, she is what I was looking for. That difference.

I went to my bedroom window and I saw Tiffany running in the street. What is she doing? Why is she running?
Putting on my slipers I went near the front gate and opened it. 

-"Tiffany!"

She stopped and looked at me she was...crying?

-"Jessie"

I probably know the reason but I simply can't understand why she cried for that reason.

-"Jessie...Sooyoung...she..." She said pouring her tears.I looked at her crying face and wraped my arms around her body making her head rest in my shoulder.

-"Let it all out Fany..." I said only to see her cry harder. It pained me to see Tiffany like this...I mean I couldn't help thinking if that strange girl, Kwon Yuri also did the same with her bestfriend, the one who made Tiffany like this.
Choi Sooyoung. I hate that girl. She's always making Tiffany suffer. Why Tiffany? Why do you do this to yourself if you see that she doesn't love you? All this crying is simply pointless,  if only you didn't fail to see what I see.

-"Again? Fany, why?"

-"You know why" She whispered.

The problem is that I knew. I didn't want to know...but I knew. I knew Tiffany was only in this state because she loved Sooyoung.
I also love you Tiffany, I'm right here. Can't you see me?
Why do you only have eyes for Sooyoung? I'm right in front of you but you don't see me or consider me at all.

-"Fany..." I didn't have any words to say to her. Nothing I could say would change the fact she was heartbroken.

I cleaned her tears with my finger. I lifted her face with my hand and gave her a kiss on the lips.
She didn't kiss me back and I could still feel her crying as I kissed her. For my first kiss with Tiffany I never had imagined something so sad. Tiffany pushed me back.

-"Jessie, What was that for?" She asked me with her eyes swollen from crying and questionful look.

-"Fany..."

-"I love you Tiffany and I just can't bear seeing you like this because of her..."

-"I simply can't understand why you hurt yourself so much. Why Tiffany? Why?" I said with tears now pouring down my face.

-"I love you Tiffany and because I love you, I would sooner have you hate me for telling you the truth than adore me for telling you lies"

Tiffany looked at me frozen in her spot. She looked at me as if she wasn't believing what I was saying that moment.

-"The truth is Tiffany..."

-"The truth is that I think you're an idiot for loving someone that doesn't love you back" I said to the frozen Tiffany.

She looked at me. She came closer to me, looked me in the eye and then she left running again.
I just throwed away everything I believed in for Tiffany, and still it wasn't enough for her to accept my love?
Why? I made the question in my head but I already knew the answer.
Be still when you have nothing to say. When genuine passion moves you. Say what you've got to say, and say it hot.
I believed in that but i chose the worst time possible. You see when I saw Tiffany brokenhearted.

I didn't have anything to say to her at all.

In the end, I ended up insulting her more than showing my feelings towards her. Again the thought of Yuri hit my head.
Did she feel hopeless? Was she hurt?

I went inside to my bedroom and closed the door. I sat against the door. Seeing Tiffany hurt made me think of Yuri, all the things she had done for me and how in the end, just like Sooyoung did with Tiffany I also broke her heart.
My feelings for Tiffany, are they love? Anything that even resembles love? I don't know the answer to that question.
Does Yuri love me? 


A bright light forced me to open my eyes. I fell asleep against my bedroom door and thanks to that I felt sore. I looked at the clock in my bedroom wall. I went to the bathroom and stayed in the shower for as long as I could. I greeted my mom and sister and left for school. My thoughts were on defining my feelings for Tiffany. Or even define what love is for me.
I went to class. The time passed slowly, I was in class but my mind was drifting in a sea of thoughts that half of this class can't even begin to understand. Before I even noticed it was already lunch time so I went to Tiffany's class to look for her. When I got to the classroom door I noticed Yuri walking away.

-"Yuri" I called her. Maybe it was the first time I had called her. She looked at me and smiled.

-"Jessica" She said as she walked towards me nearing the distance between us.

-"Yuri. Where're Tiffany and Sooyoung?"

-"I don't know, I talked to Sooyoung last night and she really sounded weirded" 

I looked at this girl as she talked to me with a smile across her face. Why is she smiling? Didn't I hurt her?

-"Yuri will you have lunch with me?" I made the question but blushed a little when I noticed the implications of it.

She looked at me with her eyes wide open.

-"Yes, of course"

We both went to the cafeteria to get some food and then to the rooftop where we wouldn't be disturbed by anyone. I need to talk to Yuri. We ate and laughed as I saw some of Yuri's funny imitations and impersonations of known celebrities. I never thought this girl could be like this.

-"Yuri?"

-"Yes?"

-"I'm sorry..." I said

-"Why?" She asked smiling.

-"For hurting you so much, for saying the things I said"

-"Well you see Jessica. The problem is that I love you and none of that could ever make me change my mind"

-"I'm truly in love with you" She said looking at me. Hearing her words I blushed a little.

She lightly giggled as she saw me blush. I looked at her, I leaned closer to her and looked deep into her eyes. I could see-
She hugged me tightly.

-"Ah~ this is nice" She said with her head on my shoulder. I had seen it in Yuri's eyes. That difference I had been looking for.

Acceptance is what it's called.

-"Jessica Jung I love you" She said as she gently pulled me towards her and kissed me.

I didn't move, but I kissed her back, this girl. She had what I had been looking for.
Now I realize I never loved Tiffany, she was nothing more than an experience. Experience. That's the name everyone gives to their mistakes. Tiffany was nothing more than that...a mistake. You see Tiffany did to me almost the same thing Sooyoung did to her and I did to Yuri. She didn't accept my feelings. But Yuri, she accepted me even if I didn't love her, and that's what I was looking for. That spark, That difference. Acceptance. In the end we are all looking for the same thing...
And that is acceptance in the eyes and arms of another person. Unconditional acceptance.

I looked at Yuri and smiled.

-"Yuri...I love you too" I said and watched as Yuri broke into tears of joy and hugged me tightly.

It's not about who left.
It's about who stayed and made me smile. I realize that now. Perhaps I've always loved Yuri and I just failed to see it.