The Smiling Gangster

As Brave As A Lion

Leo’s body immediately went into action; his football training did give him a certain strength. He grabbed the hand covering his mouth and pulled. “Ya, ya, ya! Ow, that hurts!” his captor whined behing.

Wait whined? Leo turned around and almost died of a heartattack as he looked into the smiling eyes of Hongbin. He was alright! Shooting the other glare, Leo let go of his hand and turned to leave immediately. “No wait!” Hongbin grabbed onto him and pulled him back into the alley, holding him tight with a hand covering his mouth again, Leo’s eyebrow twitched in rage. How dare-

However, his thoughts of how to make sushi out of Hongbin were interrupted by the sound of more feet arriving outside the house. Ten guys, half of which look really beaten up: blue eyes, limping, and the other half had bats and chains but looked unharmed. Leo placed his hand on Hongbin’s and squeezed hoping the other would take that as a sign to let go, thankfully he did. Hongbin then crouched down and edged towards the corner to get a better look at the guys, Leo followed suit.

They watched as the bruised half of the mob pointed at Hongbin’s house and told the others, “This must be where that bastard lives!” “And you sure is the one who did that to you?” the other half looked at each other but got into action, they went about banging their bats agains the walls and gate of Hongbin’s house, “Ya, sekia! Come out and play!”

Hongbin turned to Leo, both still crouching, “I have some explaining to do,I guess…” Leo nodded.

~le wavey flashback~

Hyuk was crying as Hongbin arrived home, he had left his house as soon as they call had ended. As he had seen his older brother, the younger had run and fell into his arms. “Hongbin, take Hyuk to the kitchen, I made some hot chocolate, “ the older brother nodded as his mum appeared in the doorway of the lobby, and lead the way gently to the steaming hot drinks.

The younger hiccuped slightly as he sipped on the sweet beverage, Hongbin noticed a bruise on Hyuk’s cheek. His fists clenched as he studied his brother, the other hadn’t slept, that was for sure, his hair was ruffled but his eyes wouldn’t leave that bruise. “Hyuk, tell me what happened…” he spoke softly, the younger looked up and nodded.

“Hyung, I’m gay…” Hongbin blinked, that sure wasn't what he was expecting. Hyuk on the other hand had flinched and sunk in himself together, as if expecting his older brother to lash out.

On the contrary, Hongbin reached over and pulled the younger into his arms, “My sweet dear brother… I am really embarrassed…” this caused Hyuk’s sobs to start again, “I knew you would hate it! I didn’t mean to embarrass you-“ “No, I’m not embarrassed because you are gay. I am embarrassed because you admitted it before I could tell you I was too.” Hongbin gently interrupted the cries of his younger brother. That got Hyuk to fall silent.

“You’re also…” Hongbin nodded, and patted his brother’s head, “So drink your hot chocolate and tell  me what happened, don’t think I cannot see that bruise of yours!” Hyuk carefully took a sip of hot chocolate and then started to talk, “I like a hyung, but he is really old…” “How old? If he is of marrying age he is too old!” Hongbin butted in putting on a mommy face, Hyuk rolled his eyes, “Not that old, but he is older than you…” “Oh, okay, what did you do? Did he do this to you?!” “No, no, no, hyung wait, he is also gay, and... and ... I confessed,” Hongbin’s mouth dropped open.

No matter how much he mothered Hyuk and took care of his precious little brother, he was always amazed at the courage that was in this boy.

“I saw him a few times then went up to him and just let it out, I think I gave him a fright because he froze for a bit…” Hyuk continued, Hongbin’s mouth was still open, “He then just patted my head and said how sweet it was of me, but he was too old and wouldn’t want you mad at him….” Hongbin came back to reality and nodded, “That is good, let me meet him and I’ll see what kind of person he is! Then what happened? Did you leave you standing?”

 “….” “Hyuk, what did you do?”

“I might have waited everyday outside his school and confessed to him ….” “…” "..." "Everyday...?" “HYUNG, I REALLY LIKE HIM! I WANT HIM SO SEE THAT SO BADLY! I CAN ONLY TELL HIM HOW MUCH I LOVE HIM, WHAT ELSE CAN I DO?! I WILL NOT WAIT AND WATCH HIM DISAPPEAR!-” Hongbin wrapped both arms around his brother, touched by his outburst.

Unconsiously his mind went to him and Leo, he had seen the other for a week and realized now, he did not want to see the other disappear, didn’t want to let the other crawl back into his private sanctum of peace and quiet. Like Hyuk said, he didn’t want to watch Leo disappear. It was selfish but Hongbin knew suddenly, he didn’t just want to be friends with Leo, he wanted to be there for him, show him how to trust people again, he wanted to hold Leo and take care of him!

“Hyuk, my wonderful little brother, you have such courage, tell him, go tell him and if he doesn’t listen, tell him he’d be a fool to not accept you!” Hongbin couldn’t stop cuddling his amazing brother, “Can’tbreatheBin!!!” “Oopsie…” he quickly let go of the the blonde one. Panting for air, Hyuk gradually regained his posture and smiled at his hyung, happy he accepted him and supported him with his problems.

“But where did the bruise come from?” Hyuk winced, “Some guys from my school followed me as I went to see him… and saw me confess… they were waiting for me as I headed home. They landed a few blows and I just ran for it… they ... they said not to dare set a foot in school or they’ll make me so that no one would recognize me….” Hyuk’s bottom lip wobbled and tears threatened to form in his eyes, Hongbin’s face turned grim and said, “Don’t worry, I’ll come with you...”

The next morning, Bin and Hyuk had left for school together, at the sight of Hyuk’s older brother many girls stopped and stared. Hyuk then pointed out the people, who had hit him, the guys were taken by surprise by sight of the tall brown haired guy looming over them and whispering, “So you are the nice fellows, who had a run in with my brother?” His smile widened as the young group stared at him in horror and could only nod back in chorus, “Should you lay another finger on him again… I might have to do something about it, understand?” As the boys nodded again, Hongbin’s smile turned more natural and he straightened himself up, “Well then, have a nice day in school! Hyuk, I’ll be sitting here if there is a problem!”

 Hongbin had sat outside Hyuk’s school keeping an eye out for the guys, it was peaceful until around noon when he heard people approaching. These were no middle schoolers, these were high school students, five of them, in the company of one of the boys who had punched Hyuk. Hongbin’s smile faded as the boy pointed at him and said, “That’s the brother of the !”

“Ya, pretty boy! Who are you to go around threatening, my little bro!” The apparent leader of the mob stepped towards Hongbin, he smiled and replied “Oh just the brother of the one he dared lay hands on.” As he fixed his gaze on the pointer, his smile grew menacing, “Seems like I will have to do something about you!” That was the last for the younger and he made a dash for the saftely of the school, the older guys watched him go before turning to Hongbin, “That’s it! Don’T scare my brother like that!”

And they ran at him.

Hongbin, however, was anything but helpless, although his fragile appearance his grandparents ran a taekwondo dojo and even though Hongbin had despised it, he had been forced to learn to a certain level. It had been torture. Thankfully Hyuk hadn’t had to live through the painstaking experience. He gracefully dodged the clumsy blows they threw at him and elegant landed his own. Within a few minuted they were on the floor and groaning.

 “Well, that was easy.” He had to remark, “People like you guys and your brothers think they’re so great, picking on small defenseless kids and people who are alone, wow, your parents must be proud of you.” “Ya, this is not over!” they had started picking themselves up and making a run for it. Hongbin waved as they hobbled away, sitting himself back outside the gate of Hyuk’s school.

I miss Leo, he thought for a bit, I wonder if he missed me too….?

As he heard the bell ring for school end, he smiled at all the pupils running out and received a hug from Hyuk. “How was school?” “Great, thank you so much, hyung!”

Hongbin ruffled Hyuk’s hair and said, “No problem! Want to go see this crush of yours?” Hyuk nodded determained, “But, hyung, don’t be mad at me…” “Mad at you? Why would I be mad at you?” very confused, Hongbin looked at his younger brother trying to read his expression, “Wait, do I know him?” Hyuk shook his head, “No guessing! It is a surprise!”
They walked down the road and through the streets, stopping for lunch at a pizzeria. Hyuk ate so much and so fast due to his nervousness of his brother meeting his crush, they had to take a long break before he could start moving again. Soon, Hongbin realized they were making their way to his old school, “Ya, I do know him, don't I? Who is he? Tell meeee” “Don’t do aegyo, hyung! You’re the older one!” Hyuk laughed and avoided the question. They had reached the gate and decided to wait.

“There he is! He beat us up! And look that’S the !” you have got to be kidding me, Hongbin thought as he saw the group of guys he had beaten up earlier with a group of new guys, with bats. Protect hyuk! Was his immediate thought, but all their eyes were on him, so he assumed they really wanted revenge.

“Hyung, go! Run! I’m fine!” Hongbin looked at the younger in shock, just leave him here?”I’m fine , Ken is suppose to come any second now, he’ll protect me!” Nodding, Hongbin took off just as the group made a charge at him, then it clicked. “WAIT DID YOU SAY KEN!? KEN IS YOUR CRUSH!?! HYUK WE ARE SO TALKING AFTER THIS!!!” He yelled at the top of his lungs as he raced off to get away from the angry mob.

~end le flashback~

“… so they chased you all around town... the whole day?” Hongbin nodded, Leo stared at him. “And you lead them to your house…?” “I was tired!” and I missed you... “And I thought I had lost them...” the brown haired pouted. Leo reached out, Hongbin’s eyes widened, was he going to his face. His fantasy was shattered as Leo flicked his forehead, “Idiot…” “…” “…” “Wait, why is it so quiet?”

 The two of them were still crouching in the alley, but Leo had to agree it was really silent, they looked up and saw the mob standing there, bats and all, staring at them.

The leader looked at his group and then at them, then started tapping his bat on the floor “We aren’t disturbing are we?”

Oops