The New Boy

As Brave As A Lion

Leo was a quiet student, he liked to keep to himself. He didn’t like loud people –save his childhood friend N- and big crowds, so you could find him most of the time in the far end of the class room with his nose stuck in a book or asleep with his headphone in his ears. Sometimes he would venture to the rooftop to avoid contact with the masses of students during breaks and just lay there in the sun.

However even though Leo was quiet and drawn back, the time you could really see him shine was if you saw him during football practice or if you were really lucky and caught him singing alone in one of the music rooms. However at school no one knew of his love for singing and because he did football outside of school they also didn't know of his love and talent to football. At football practice though, he was respected for his talent and his nicknames were amongst others the “silent lion”.

So, on a day like any other, or so Leo thought, the sun was shining and people were chatting excitedly in class. Nothing new, Leo thought as he took out his iPod and proceeded to plug in his headphones and prepare for a short nap before class began. Little did he know that today would be the end to his peaceful and quiet life, because only a few minutes before the bell rang N bolted into the class room and jumped on the poor boy.

 “Leo-leo-leo-LEO-LEO! I KNOW YOU CAN HEAR ME!” Leo shot him a death glare that would usually cause someone to stagger back and cower in fear, sadly this tactic did not work on N.

“Don’t look at me like that! I heard you are getting a new classmate and wanted to see him for myself!” N innocently sat down on the empty place next to Leo. Leo had been very cold to anyone who attempted to sit there, that’s why it was empty. Sighing, Leo pulled out his headphones knowing very well he could say bye bye to the short nap he had been hoping for, “N go back to your own class...” N turned to Leo with an insulted look on his face, “Why should i? I want to see this new kid!!” “You can see him another time… don’t bother me with this,” Leo growled in reply. “But where is the fun in that-“

“CHA HAKYEON!!!” a big deep booming voice cut off N’s sentence, and a tall guy marched into the classroom, some girls whispered in awe, “is that? omg” “yes it is!”. N dove behind Leo into hiding, as the guy scanned the class looking for said ‘Cha Hakyeon’, his eyes met Leo’s, who sighed and got up from his place revealing N. The tall guy strode over and grabbed N by the scruff of his neck and tugged.

“Wha-AH JUNG TAEKWOON HOW COULD YOU!?” N exclaimed as he realized Leo had moved away, calling his full name. Leo shrugged, “Ravi would have made a ruckus if I hadn’t…”. Said Ravi glared at the guy in his hold, “N it is almost time for class, don’t go running off and bothering Leo! You can see him during lunch break!” N huffed in surrender knowing struggling against Ravi would be futile.

N might be Leo’s childhood friend but Ravi and N were inseparable, Ravi would always check on N and keep him out of trouble and where Ravi was N wasn’t far behind.

After Ravi had started to drag N out of the class, an audience had formed, and after the odd pair had left all those eyes turned to Leo. He rolled his eyes knowing that his friends, especially Diva N, would always attract such attention, he resigned to putting on his death glare and sitting back down, that caused a majority of eyes to turn away in fear and leave him be.

-cue epic bell sound: ding ding dong-

Leo turned his attention to the teacher to entered the classroom, followed by a brown wavy hair boy by the looks of things. “Good morning, class!” “Good morning, Mr Inguk” was the monotone, motivational lacking reply of the class, “Wow no need to be so excited” the teacher joked.

The attention of the class however was on the new boy who at the remark of the teacher had broken into a full blown smile, eyes crinkled into half moons and all his teeth shone as he giggled at the joked. “Well, atleast someone thinks I’m funny,” Mr Inguk stated, “Now would you introduce yourself?” Nodding the new boy turned to the class, “Annyeong, my name is Hongbin, I just moved here. Please take care of me!” Girls started blushing and swooning at his voice, Leo’s face darkened. Great, another goody two shoes, girl crush, player, he thought almost growling aloud.

Inguk’s eyes searched the class for an empty seat and winced as he saw the last place was next to the class lion, “Well… erm … Hongbin, looks like you will be sitting next to … Leo”. The class made shocked noises and gasps, Hongbin looked at the teacher, confused by his tone of voice. Leo bristled in his seat as Inguk shot him a sorry look as he pointed Hongbin to the chair that he meant for him. As the new boy made his way over , Leo sunk low in his chair and looked straight onto his table avoiding all eye contact with Hongbin as he sat down.  “Oh no I forgot the worksheets! Hold on a minute I’ll be back in a sec” Inguk ran out of the classroom.

“Hello there, you must be Leo!” a bright and cheerful voice sounded from Leo’s left, “I’m Hongbin, want to be friends?” Leo’s eyes remained fixed on his table, Hongbin waited and waited but never got a reply, worried he looked around the classroom.

“Don’t mind him, “ someone was telling him, “he is just a loner, hasn’t got any friends,”

“Yeah, stay clear of him, he is weird,” a girl added, “we can be much better friends!”

“Yes, just leave him be, ” more girls were coming closer to look at the new boy.

Hongbin just smiled sweetly and retorted “No  I think I will choose my own friends, thank you.” Leo stopped trying to burn a hole into the table with his look and started to pay attention to where this was going,  the girls must have been taken back, “but oppa we didn’t mean it like that, we were just suggesting not trying to befriend that that pile of -“ “Thank you, I think that has been enough advice” Hongbin said through a smile even though his tone of voice made everyone’s blood freeze.

Leo stole a glance at the new guy, he certainly looked like one of these good looking, could-get-any-girl-if-he-wanted-to player guys and usually those kind of guys would have a go at him, test if he really is so ‘dangerous’ but this guy was… not doing that. Shaking his head Leo turned back to the front of the class.

Hongbin saw the look Leo had taken of him and his heart missed a beat, he looked at me! Stay calm, Hongbin, those thoughts raced through his head. The minute the teacher had pointed to the quiet boy at the back of the class room Hongbin’s heart had threatened to stop. Even with a long fringe so that his hair was almost covering his eyes, “Leo” looked absolutely beautiful to the newcomer. From his eyes that were scrunched into a death glare, to his cheekbones down to his soft formed pink lips, on which Hongbin’s eyes stayed a while, lost in how pretty they were. After embarrassingly bluntly asking if this “Leo” wanted to be friends with him - Hongbin could have face palmed himself for asking so bluntly -, he was worried as he hadn’t gotten an answer. But as people started bothering him saying to leave this quiet beauty alone, Hongbin put on his best smile even though he felt like giving them a piece of his mind instead.

He then decided he was going to enjoy this new school, and could hardly wait for lunch.