Lunch

As Brave As A Lion

-cue epic bell sound-

Inguk knew his chances of taming the kids after the bell for lunch break had rung were slim, so he just silently turned to clean the backboard. Leo quietly closed his books and started clearing his stuff into his bag in a swift manner to avoid what he knew would happen... girls started to crowd Hongbin asking if he’d spend lunch with them. Hongbin saw Leo’s hurry to leave and tried his best to politely decline all the offers of the girls, so he could get to the quiet guy, the girls however turned out to be more persistent then he thought and he had to watch Leo’s back disappear out the door before he could even stand up. Grumbling, he let the girl’s herd him towards the cafeteria.

On the other hand Leo had been caught by N and Ravi the second he had stepped out of the class room and was being frog marched in the same direction. “Because I don’t want you spending your break alone on the roof” N had insisted. Said culprit had made him sit down whilst Ravi had gone to go get them some food. “So, how is the new kid?!” N asked immediately, causing Leo to roll his eyes and shrug indifferently. “Don’t be like that! I heard he was good looking and really attractive-“ “Ya, are you cheating on me?” Ravi had appeared behind N causing the older one to almost jump out of his skin.

- Ravi and N were together, they always insisted they didn’t want to officially announce it but they were as obvious as an old married couple-

Leo huffed in exasperation at the pair, N had twirled around and tackle hugged the taller one “No, no my lovely never ever!” Ravi had laughed and put the food down before he could spill it, before wriggling out of N’s hold to act insulted. “But I heard you, “ he fake sniffed “I heard it all!” This caused N to gasp in horror and desperately try coming up with excuses to how it wasn’t true and the Ravi was the only one for him. Rolling his eye for the second time in a short period Leo turned to the food, out of the corner of the eye he saw a movement and as he turned to it he froze. Hongbin had just entered the cafeteria surrounded by girls, of course he wouldn’t resist those girls, Leo thought icely.  

“Hey, isn’t that the new student? YA, LEE HONGBIN!” if possible Leo froze even further and could not believe his ears as N yelled Hongbin's name across the cafeteria. N ignored the shocked look Leo was giving him and waved excited at the new guy, who had a look of confusion on his face as he hesitantly waved back. But as his eyes landed on Leo, who was unsuccessfully trying to sneak away, he made his way over to them, plowing through all the girls. N grinned broadly as Hongbin came closer, noting that the others eyes were only on Leo, but he pushed that thought to the back of his head, first introductions.

“Hi, you must be, Lee Hongbin, right?” he said, “Ya, you are really handsome!” this caused not only a more confused look from Hongbin but also Ravi whacking him elegantly on the back of his head. “Ne, I am Lee Hongbin... and you are..?” the new student asked, N looked at him, “I’m Cha Hakyeon but call me N. Didn’t Ken tell you I’d be here?” Hongbin’s eyes brightened at the name of this “Ken”.

“Oh you are that N?” Leo looked up partly listening in on the conversation. “Yes I am that N- Wait what did he mean with that N?!” this had gotten the older fuming and Ravi laughed at him before deciding to finish the introductions, “I think that is exactly what he meant with that N. I am Ravi by the way, same class as N. And that gloomy pile over there is Leo” Leo scowled and turned his attention back to his food.

As it turns out this Ken person was in the same school as N earlier before he had changed to Leo’s school, to be closer to him, coincidently was the same school Hongbin was from. Ken had told Hongbin to look for N and that even though he has a loud mouth he’d take good care of him.

“Ya, did you guys hear? Ken told me to look after him!” N beamed at the new student, Hongbin was sitting next to Leo and opposite him sat N with Ravi by his side, “How was the move here?” Honbin let himself be interrogated by the amusing hyung and answered as best he could, giggling at the way Ravi would kick N under the table when the questions got odd. “Wow you have a really pretty smile!” N exclaimed, earning another kick under the table, “Leo, you should smile more often too!” N winced as he felt one of Leo’s feet meet Ravi’s against his shin under the table. Hongbin shot the black hair an amused yet curious glance, which was avoided. “Ya, would you too stop kicking me! I won’t be able to walk if you continue!” the injured elder moaned and groaned causing Ravi to pat his head and reply, “If you manage to act like a normal human being we will consider it.” Leo had had enough, he quietly took his lunch and got up, he was sure he could still save his break by not being bothered by these loud people, if he headed to the rooftop for now.

Hongbin’s heart sank as the figure next to him got up and left, the lunch had been going so well and now the person of his desire was heading out. N and Ravi too watched him go, knowing too well where he was heading. Upset, N hit the table “Aish that boy!” “What is wrong, did I say something?” worried Hongbin asked his hyungs, Ravi sighed, “No, Leo just likes peace and quiet, I guess we and more specifically someone was too loud-“ N elbowed him in the ribs. “He might dislike other people who are loud, but he loves me!” N was in his umma-mode.

“I know that boy likes being by himself… and the quiet, but it shouldn’t be like that!! Aish, Raviiiiiii my baby left meeeee! I SHOULD GO AFTER HIM?!” Hongbin cocked his head in question. Ravi rolled his eyes, “N sees Leo as his baby, and they’ve known each other since their childhood. Leo however does not agree with being called N’s baby and does everything within his power to demolish that nickname. And leave him be, today must have been a bit exciting for him” “BUT HE IS MY BABY” the grey hair wailed, Hongbin had to laugh at the sight.

Leo on the other hand had just reached the roof, his break was saved. As he lay down in the sun he was greeted by the muffled sound of the students outside below and the tweet of the odd bird that flew overhead.

In this still surroundings his mind wandered of what had happened to him so far that day, his conclusion was: Hongbin. The new student was dangerous, that angel like smile had to be fake, no one would ever smile at him like that!

“I’m Hongbin. Want to be friend?” those words echoed in his head, Leo scoffed. Fake, fake all of it was FAKE! He had been through this a few times, people always say “Let’s be friends” and mean “help pass the time” until they find other people or are put off by Leo’s personality.
The black haired signed softly, after the last humiliation he had sworn just to leave it be.

~le wavey flashback announcement~

“Hi are you Leo? We have been in the same class for a while but we’ve never spoken I am Bob,” a guy had attempted to make contact to Leo, he knew his best friend had just moved away so he must have been feeling lonely and thought giving him a go would be his best shot, so he ignored it. But he had tried and tried again and again “Let’s be friends” “Want to go to lunch together?” “Want to walk home together?”

Leo had been strong and ignored everything and yet he had been so persistent the whole week, he agreed to eat lunch with him on that Friday. He hadn’t said a word during the whole lunch, and was relieved because he thought Bob had accepted his silence and that this was a comfortable silence. He was naïve to believe they were friends, but at the time he really believed that, Bob had even let him walk him to his dance classes, which was on the way to his football practice.

However Leo was drowned in a cold bucket of reality as Monday came, he entered the class and at lunch he had gathered all his courage and was prepared to ask Bob if they would eat lunch together, before reaching his table at the front of the classroom he heard:

“Oh he was so weird, probably has a crush on me. I’m scared he now knows where I have dance practice. And at lunch, that creep just sat there!  Argh, it gives me the shivers!” Bob sat there surrounded by others of the class, Leo had silently walked past them, gone to the bathroom and cried until N, who had paniced because he didn’t find his baby, found him.

~end of flashback~

Leo rolled onto his side and swore to put as much distance between him and this Hongbin as he could.