A little less distance

As Brave As A Lion

Oh no, Leo was late, very late. The last night had been spent coming up with different routes to school to avoid Hongbin and he had overslept. He grabbed his bag whilst trying to get into his school uniform and wrestled his tie out of the door and started sprinting off down the road on his normal route, it was safe, right? It was late so there was no chance of the other still being there. Unwillingly he slowed at Hongbin’s house, it was a nice house, cream coloured with two story and a small garden in the front, his parents must be rich.

“OMG! I AM SO LATE!” a voice yelled from the other side of the gate and Leo’s hair raised on end. You cannot be serious? What was up with his luck since this new guy had appeared? He turned and started fast walking towards school. The sound of the gate opening was to be heard and suddenly a, “Is that you, Leo?!” No, it is I, the neighbor hood Leo double, Leo wanted to retort, but he had sworn to ignore and avoid, so he started picking up pace breaking into a light jog. “It is you! Wait up!” Hongbin had also broken into a jog, why did he have to have such long legs, Leo cursed, and broke into a sprint. “Why are you here? Do you live here?” the new boy was next to him, Leo kept his eyes fixed on the school gate that was slowly appearing in the distance. “You do? Wow!” to Hongbin Leo's silence was a confirmation, anyway he was happy not to be alone late to school.

They stumbled into the classroom, Hongbin exclaiming automaticly, “Sorry we are late!” However they were greeted by an empty classroom, Hongbin was really confused and turned to Leo with a look of horror, “Don’t tell me today is Saturday?!” Leo shot him a not amused look and pointed at the black board, there in Inguks writing was a message, “To all the idiots who are late: We are in the art classroom, our room will be renovated this week, so hurry up!” “Oh, well that would have been the first time I’d ever gone to school on a Saturday,” Hongbin laughed, Leo rolled his eyes and turned to leave, “Ah wait for me, I don’t know where the art room is!”

Sulking Leo lead the new boy to the art room, as they were about to enter, Inguk ripped open the door, “AAAAAAAH OMG Leo! HongbiN! You just shortened your poor teacher’s life! Hongbin, go inside already, Leo I need to speak to you!” Nodding the new boy disappeared into the classroom and Inguk turned to the other.

“Leo, I got a message from your trainer, you have a match the day after tomorrow?” Inguk was one of the few people who knew of Leo’s football training, and supported him, partly because his trainer, Choi Minho, and Inguk had gone to school together. “Minho wants you in training that day in the afternoon, you’d have to miss the afternoon lessons,I need a letter of absence, can I reach your parents?” Leo nodded and replied quietly, “My parents are available now, if you want to call them….” Inguk’s smile grew, “Good, I’m going to deal with this right away, otherwise Minho won’t stop smsing me”, he held up his phone and Leo groaned as he saw 10 sms from his football trainer. With that his teacher dashed down the hall direction secretary.

Leo face palmed himself and pushed open the door the the classroom. The class was talking and chatting and as he scanned the chair for a free space, his eyes landed on Hongbin, the new boy was sitting surrounded by other pupils and smiling that big angel smile. As if I care, Leo grumbled, but then he realized that the seat next to Hongbin had no human on it, only Hongbin’s bag, and other then that seat there were no free spaces. “Leo, come here! I saved you a space!” the other had noticed the statue standing in the door frame and waved. Leo wanted to sink into the earth floor and just disappear, the people around Hongbin looked in horror at the new student.

“Are you joking?!” “You want him here?!” “Hongbin, what are you doing? Don’t call him!”

 Leo had turned bright red, and stalked over to the crowd, it wasn’t like he had a choice with the seat. The people around Hongbin, blocking his way to the free seat, shot him disgusting and scared looks, “You have got to be joking…” “why does he have to sit there, Hongbin?” Hongbin turned his smiling face to the others, “This is the only free space, and I am inviting him to come sit here, if you guys have a problem with that, get lost.” It was scary how he said that whilst smiling widely, Leo however was grateful, because that got the crowd to disappear before him and he made way to the seat.

“So you live near me?” Hongbin had turned to face Leo and smiled even wider, Leo scowled and concentrated on unpacking his stuff. That caused his desk neighbor to laugh and continue to talk, he didn’t mind the silence of the other, “I just moved in. I’m living alone, my parents wanted to buy a house for me, but after working in the summer holidays a few part time jobs I managed to buy it myself. My brother is still at home, his name is Hyuk, do you want to see him?” He had taken out his phone and waved a picture of a blonde boy wearing an almost as dazzling smile as Hongbin. Leo felt warmed by the tone Hongbin talked about his brothe in, he must really love him.

He had let Hongbin talk for a while but then there had been a period of silence, and he turned to the other curious of why he had stopped talking. Hongbin was looking at him as if he had seen a ghost, do I have something on my face, Leo thought confused and as he stared back, reaching to touch his face, in case there was really something. To his horror, he realized the corners of his mouth had turned up a little; immediately he scrunched his eyebrows together and pulled them down into a frown, turning to face his desk again.

Hongbin continued to stare at him for a while after that, into the lesson and until Inguk had thrown chalk at him and told him to pay attention. He smiled, he smiled, HE SMILED, he had smiled, SMILE, Hongbin chanted over and over in his head. His heart was beating so fast, he couldn’t stop thinking about the small smile he had just been given. The image didn’t let him go, during lunch, where Leo and he sat in silence whilst N and Ravi talked none stop to them about their day –mostly N- , and on his way home.  He was going to make him smile again! He swore as he lay down in bed that night, it will happen again!

Leo in his bed, was rolling around burying his head in his pillow, blushing the deepest red he had ever blushed, why? Why was the boy there?!

~le wavey flashback~

Football yesterday had been a catastrophe, after Hongbin and he had walked to the park together, that brown haired smiling angel had disturbed his thought. This had caused him to kick the ball with such force, his team mates had spent the whole training, dodging his balls avoiding, yelling for mercy, or if they weren’t so lucky getting a flaming Leo shot to the ribs, chest, one head had been hit and one unlucky fellow had been hit where it hurts most. Minho had called break from  the training after that to talk to Leo, but the silent lion had just shrugged and sat on the bench for the rest of the training.

~end of flashback~

He was not going to fall for this smiling act! Leo shook his head, no, no, NO!