Chapter 3

Dark Side of the Moon

Ji-hyo POV       

     As much as I agreed with Suji, it was difficult to follow her suggestion considering Hongbin and Leo were in almost every class I had that day but one or two. I don’t know how they had managed to end up in every class together considering Taehee and I only had two classes together and Suji and I had none. To my great annoyance, they sat unnecessarily close to me every time, even when other friends joined them. I did my best to ignore them, but it got rather difficult considering the all of them were over 180cm compared to my 160. During English I had simply given up, being unable to see the board because of the rather large head of one of their friends whose hair was dyed an unnatural blonde color. I had almost, almost laughed when he turned to the side and I caught sight of his triangular bangs, but had just barely managed to keep it in and prevent drawing any attention to myself. But somehow, I found myself sitting between Leo and Hongbin in math. In distress I had texted Taehee (a bad idea) to come and help me out. She came to the classroom alright, but then proceeded to wink at me and sit with a different group of friends. I was almost driven to asking Suji, but decided I’d rather deal with an awkward situation than a rampaging friend.. And so, that was how I ended up glaring at a giggling Taehee across the room while trying to focus on math and not at the two guys that sat next to me. We were about an hour into a lecture on linear programming when I heard a weak mewl escape Leo’s mouth as he leaned backwards defeated. I stared in curiosity at what could have possibly made him utter a sound, and found his entire worksheet covered in scribbles and equations, all of which were wrong. Tentatively, and I mean tentatively I glanced over at Leo himself, who was glaring out the window with a pout. It was actually kind of...cute. Hold on. I did not just think that. I could feel Hongbin giving me a curious look as I extended my paper to Leo.

     “I could help you,” I said. “I mean, if you want. If you’d be ok with it.” Slowly, a shy smile spread across Leo’s face, but he kept his face down.

     “That means yes please, by the way,” said Hongbin in my ear, his fingers on my shoulder so that he could whisper. I felt a shiver make it’s way down my back as my cheeks warmed slightly at his proximity. Luckily I had never been one to blush easily, so it could pass of as natural. I nodded to indicate that I had heard and slid closer to the confused boy.

     To my great surprise, Leo quickly grasped the concept and understood where he was making mistakes. He became bolder, and asked questions several times, surprising me with the change from his usual attitude. But the entire time I was explaining the concept to Leo, I was conscious of Hongbin’s fingers, only inches away from my own. It was with great relief that I withdrew my hand from the table to my lap as I finished explaining. Leo went back to his work, and Hongbin turned his head away to stare at the door, just as it opened. Weird; it was almost as if he knew that was going to happen. His friend from earlier burst through, triangle bangs bouncing as he ran towards Hongbin.

    “Hongbin,” he gasped out. “We have to go, it’s important” Hongbin stared at him for a moment, before turning to Leo and muttering,

    “Tell the others.” Leo nodded. “Let’s go Ravi,” said Hongbin, and the trio ran out the door as I sat completely baffled.


 

Hongbin POV

    I suppose for the sake of things, I should start at the beginning. The first time I saw her, it had been a chance encounter. I was simply curious as to what a girl was doing at that time, all alone, at that hour, on a bus as well as angry at her for doing so. But as soon as we entered the vehicle, I knew. I could smell him all over her. But the girl, the girl was completely furious. That was what had fascinated me about her; after all, she was the first human able to resist his aura. I nearly snarled at the thought of Jongin; I couldn’t believe he was related to us in any way. The bastard spent his days picking up girls instead of actually doing his duties. And though I understand that it is in his nature, it still pissed me off to no end. He could at least try to control it; the rest of us did it daily. That’s when I realized my markings were visible, and I hit the stop button. As quickly as I could, I exited the bus hoping the girl would forget about me.

    I knew I had no chance when I saw her in my class the next morning. She didn’t notice me at first, but she was bound to recognize me. Now, in the daylight, I could finally see her clearly. Her hair was dyed a honey color, and hung low down her back. Short bangs framed a heart shaped face and one gray eye focused itself on my face as I gave her a friendly smile. She promptly shut her eye, looking as if she hoped to god she hadn’t just seen me sitting there. I kept my gaze on her, shaking with silent laughter as she wriggled in her seat trying to get me to look away. Her friend, a pretty girl with short hair and a perm snuck glances at us every couple of minutes when she thought we were looking away. Leo, as usual, ignored the situation around him preferring to stare out the window. It was when the bell rang that the girl finally worked up the courage to talk, after tugging my object of interest down with her that is..

    “So, what’s your name? I’m Taehee,” she said, doing a little bounce. The golden haired girl looked uncomfortable, and glared at her friend for forcing her into this situation.

    “Hongbin,” I said to her, then turned to the other extending my hand. “And you are?” After a split second of deliberation and panic, she grabbed my wrist and yanked my sleeve up, no doubt hoping to catch a glimpse of the markings from last night. Seeing, none, her bottom lip jutted out in thought and her eyes widened. I struggled to contain my laughter at her reactions. They were just too adorable, not unlike a kitten’s. “Is anything wrong?” I asked, slightly surprised that my amusement was evident in my tone.

    “No,” she said, before eyeing my hand and weighing her chances of getting out of this. Finally, her fingers reached out and she shook my hand. “Ji-hyo.” She looked highly disappointed that I knew her name. A burst of laughter accidentally escaped me before I could control it. If anything, she looked annoyed. “I’ll see you around, Ji-hyo,” I said, putting emphasis on her name. I couldn’t help it; it was fun to . But Leo, who effectively ignored them and I would be late to class if this conversation extended any further. “Let’s go, Leo,” I said, gesturing to him as he followed me out of the room.

 

A/N

Hey! Feel free to comment and tell us what you think; we're always looking for feedback. 

~Nel and Pika