Chapter 6: Serendipity

Jumping To The Rescue

Chapter 6

 

            Moving through the crowd quietly and politely, Gummi finally found the door to the “employees only” entrance of the Sejong Center for Performing Arts.  A kind man in a suit stopped her and asked for her ticket.  She took the special piece of paper Earman Kim had given her out of her purse and handed it to him.  After a quick glance, he opened the door and smiled, “Please enjoy the show.”

            She entered a short hall, decorated with beautiful chandeliers on the high ceiling and unique paintings hung on the red walls.  The red carpet beneath her felt incredibly plush and smooth.  Though she wished she could spend more time admiring that lovely hall, she continued swiftly to the elevator at the end of the hall.

            The elevator took her up a few floors to a private, inconspicuous balcony that resided at the very back of the concert hall, high above the regular audience.  It was a perfect view of the entire stage, but Gummi wondered if anyone sitting up here could really see anything clearly from this distance.

            There were three short rows of seats, three on the left of the balcony and three on the right.  A swanky couple and their polite child sat in the back left row while a single woman in dark clothes and a rather sad demeanor sat in the very front left row.  Gummi moved to the very front right row and sat as far to the right as she could.  It was imperative that she remained unidentified.  It had been three months since Hyoyeon knew the truth, and things had been quiet ever since then.

            Gummi watched the lonely woman carefully, knowing exactly why she appeared so cheerless.  Nearly five years ago, a terrible feud turned into a terrifying war that broke hearts and separated friends.  Jessica Jung remembered this war well.  It is the sole reason why she lied to her manager about where she was going tonight.  Lee Soo-Man never forgot the TVXQ incident, no matter how much everyone wanted him to.

            “Ladies and gentlemen,” a loud voice suddenly called.  “Please take your seats.  The musical “December” starring Kim Junsu will begin shortly.”

            A deafening cheer filled the room as everyone took their seats.  Despite the sad memories inside her head, Jessica gave a happy grin at the name of her old friend.  The balcony started to fill with a few more people, and everyone resorted to soft whispers.

            “Excuse me.” 

            A voice interrupted Gummi’s observations.  It was such a smooth, flawless voice filled with care and compassion, as if the speaker knew how precious and kind his words ought to be.  Gummi looked up at the man leaning towards her and felt all the air leave her lungs.

            “Is someone sitting here?” Kim Jaejoong asked, pointed at the seat beside her.

            “No,” she replied, subtly attempting to catch her breath.  “Please, go ahead.”

            He gave a grateful smile.  “Thank you.”

            The lights dimmed and the curtain opened.  Music played and actors entered the stage, but Gummi remained focused on Jessica.  Jaejoong’s overwhelming presence wasn’t going to take her away from her mission.  Gummi felt a certain delight as Jessica’s eyes filled with light at appearance of Junsu.

            As the night progressed, Gummi let herself relax.  G. Low hadn’t called her about any threats outside, and she felt that the music from the show created the safest atmosphere she could ever want.  She leaned back and even laughed at the witty parts of the script.

            As a somber and romantic scene began, a beautiful symphony started to fill the room.  Gummi heard Jaejoong take a deep breath and tense in his chair.

            “Have you heard this song before?”

            His whisper was filled with such an intense hope.  She reluctantly shook her head and replied, “I don’t believe so.”

            He stared at the stage avidly. “It’s so…It describes that moment when you are so captivated by someone that you can’t even move.  They capture you completely.  When they’re not with you, your heart stops beating…”

            She watched him as his words trailed off.  He was looking at the stage, but he appeared more mystified by what he was hearing.  So many emotions ran across his face, and she didn’t know whether to feel happiness or heartbreak.  He was experiencing something so beautiful with this song that she felt rude to watch him any longer.  She looked back at the stage and tried to understand his deep fascination.

            When intermission arrived, Gummi tried to find relief.  But she couldn’t bring herself to look back at Jaejoong.  She couldn’t be sure of what heartbreaking emotion he would display.

            “Are you okay?”

            She turned to face him and squinted her eyes.  He stared at her with obvious concern.

            “Am I okay?” she asked.  “I’m fine.  Are you okay?”

            “I’m sorry,” he chuckled, running his fingers through his messy blond hair.  “I love that song.  It’s so beautiful.  Sometimes I’m completely consumed by the music.  I’m sorry if I made you uncomfortable.”

            “It’s fine,” she assured shyly.

            She glanced over to check on Jessica, who looked completely overwhelmed by the last song performed.  A waiter walked through her row and tried to sell her a drink, but she failed to notice his offer for a few seconds, and finally sent him away without a word.

            “Is this your first time seeing the musical?” Jaejoong asked suddenly, leaning back in his chair.

            “Yes,” Gummi answered, returning her gaze to him.

            “Are you a very rich fan, or simply a critic?”

            She didn’t know whether to be annoyed or relieved by the fact he didn’t recognize her.  “I’m not a critic.  I’m just…a fan.”

            “Oh.”  He stared at her curiously before giving a bashful grin.  “I’m sorry if I seem rude.  I just find it strange that you are here all by yourself.”

            “I find it strange that you are here by yourself,” she admitted simply, taking her phone from her purse. 

            “Why do you find it strange?”

            Nothing from G. Low.  She put her phone back and attempted to answer his question as calmly as possible.  “Well, you’re…You’re Kim Jaejoong from DBSK –I mean, JYJ.  You’re a rock star.  Why would you go to a musical all alone?”

            “I have no one to go with,” he informed plainly.  “I don’t see why I should have to pretend that I have a date for every event just because I’m Kim Jaejoong from JYJ.”

            “I suppose that’s true.”  She closed her eyes tightly and wished she hadn’t spoken so hastily.  “I’m sorry for insinuating you need a date.  I admire your honesty.”

            “I admire yours as well,” he confessed with a smirk.  “Tell me, why are you here alone?”

            “There wasn’t much time to get anyone to go with me,” she told truthfully.  “This was a last minute assignment –plan! It was a last minute plan.”

            “Hmm, well, may I propose a solution to our solitary states?” he questioned cheerfully.  “Why don’t we become friends and accompany each other from now on?  These things are always better when you have a co-pilot.”

            “I suppose you need someone to take care of you in case another overwhelming song plays and you have another emotional breakdown,” she laughed. 

            “Hey, don’t make fun of my rock star sensitiveness,” he scolded playfully.  He held out his hand and smiled.  “Hello, friend.  My name is Jaejoong.  What is your name?”

            “I’m Gummi,” she informed, gently shaking his hand. 

            “Gummi?  That’s a very interesting name.”

            “It’s…a stage name.”

            “Stage name?  You’re a performer?”

            “Have you happened to hear the song Bar Bar Bar?”

            He stared at her in confusion for a few moments.  Suddenly his eyes flew wide open and an amused grin appeared on his face.  “Crayon Pop?  No way!  It can’t be!”

            Gummi peered over at Jessica, hoping Jaejoong’s zeal wasn’t causing a noticeable scene. 

            “You girls are sensations!” he exclaimed.  “I mean, you’re not particularly my type of music, but I can’t deny your success.”

            “Hey!” she replied fervently.  “Not your kind of music?  How so?”

            “It’s so…I mean…Well, honestly, I’ve only ever heard Bar Bar Bar,” he admitted embarrassedly.  “It’s very unique and interesting…But, I mean, have you even heard my music?”

            “Of course I have,” she assured.  “Your songs are inspiring and powerful…You’re right.  We’re not really your type of music.”

            “But I can still enjoy your company,” he insisted with a grin, waving at the lingering waiter.  “Hey, Gummi, would you like anything?”

            “No, I’m fine.  Thank you.”

            Jaejoong ordered a small glass of wine and winced as he took a sip.  “This is stronger than I anticipated.”

            “Krystal!”  Jessica’s demanding voice filled the balcony.  “You’re late!”

            Krystal Jung slipped through the rows and sat next to Jessica.  The two sisters quickly began to argue with each other with furious whispers.  Jaejoong glanced over and grinned.

            “It’s Jessica,” he said quietly.  “I’m glad to see her here.”

            “Are the two of you friends?” Gummi asked, feigning ignorance.  “Why don’t you go over and say hello?”

            He sighed and turned back to Gummi.  “Lee Soo-Man would be upset if he knew she was here to support an enemy of his.  Imagine if someone here reported an interaction between Jessica Jung and rebel Kim Jaejoong.  I don’t want that to happen to her.”

            “That’s very depressing.”  Gummi gazed up at Jaejoong with her big eyes and tried to smile.  “But that’s very thoughtful of you to do that for her.  Sometimes you have to stay behind the scenes to protect people.”

            “You’re very wise for your age,” he noted, taking another sip of his wine.  “You can’t be more then twenty, right?”

            “I’m actually…”  She hesitated, wondering if she should use her international age or her Korean age.  Why did it even matter to her anyway?  “I’m twenty-five.”

            “Twenty-five?”  He shifted awkwardly in his seat as he nearly spilled his wine.  “This can’t be.  You girls look so young.”

            “Our youngest is twenty-two,” she continued, finding his uneasiness quite amusing.  “I think a lot of people have made your mistake.”

            “Twenty-five…”

            “Is it a problem to have a friend so old?” she joked.

            “Not at all!  I mean, you’re not old.  I’m not surprised by your age.  I just didn’t know that you were so close to my age.  That’s sort of…”  His gentle smile reappeared on his face.  “Nice.”

            Before Gummi could respond, as if she knew how to respond at all, the lights dimmed again, and the musical resumed.  Feeling her focus being ripped away from her by Jaejoong, she quickly looked over at Jessica and examined her carefully.  She and Krystal had made up, and they looked quite amused by each other.  Gummi was relieved, but she had a nagging feeling that, if someone had snatched Jessica away during the intermission, she may have never noticed.

            The opening scene for the second half of the musical was filled with emotion and depth, and Junsu gave an incredible, passionate performance.  Gummi felt Jaejoong’s body rumble with silent laughter as he leaned towards her. 

            “He’s such a little punk,” he whispered.

            “That’s kind of mean, Jaejoong,” Gummi insisted quietly. 

            “Sometimes it’s just hard to take him seriously when I know him so well.  Don’t you feel that way with your own members?”

            “Yeah, sometimes.”  She tried to stifle a sudden fit of laughter as she recalled some of Ellin’s attempts at being serious. 

            “You know my dilemma.”  His let out an obnoxious laugh which he quickly stifled.  “Did you see that?  He nearly tripped.”

            “I saw it.”

            “Wasn’t it hilarious?”

            Her laughter grew harder to contain.  “It was.”

            “His cheeks are so red.  Oh, how embarrassing.”

            “Would you stop it?” she urged, her own cheeks turning red as she tried to maintain her composure.  “You are ridiculous.”

            “How in the world have I ever performed with that klutz?”

            The night continued this way.  Gummi was so afraid that the whole balcony would become overwhelmed by their quiet laughter and throw them out of the theater.  But, at the same time, she never wanted their fun to end. 

            “Bravo!” he shouted loudly, rising from his seat at the very last note of the closing song.  Gummi rose with him and clapped earnestly, led by his unreserved excitement.  “That’s my boy!  Good job, Junsu!”

            Gummi noticed Jessica’s curious glances.  A lingering pain was in her eyes, but she fought her sadness, stood up, and cried loudly, “Way to go, Junsu!”

            She and Jaejoong locked eyes for a moment, and they exchanged everything they wanted to say with their bright smiles.  Tears began to fill Jessica’s eyes, but she never stopped her cheering.  There was a mutual acceptance of why things were this way, but there was also a hope that things would be different in the future.  Maybe things weren’t resolved now.  But they would be.  They had to be.

            A man came into the balcony and marched up to Jessica and Krystal.  Gummi recognized him as Jessica’s driver, and she knew it was time to leave.

            “Goodbye, Jaejoong,” Gummi grinned, tapping his hand gently.

            He suddenly grabbed her hand as she started to leave.  “Wait, Gummi, why do you have to leave so soon?”

            “I have…a schedule to keep.”  His eyes were so insistent.  “I mean, I really wish I didn’t have to go.”

            “I suppose you’ve been really busy ever since Bar Bar Bar,” he sighed.  “I don’t want to keep you.  Thank you for being my friend tonight.  I really enjoyed being with you.”

            “Thank you, Jaejoong,” she replied tenderly.  “You made this night very entertaining.”

            “Let’s exchange phone numbers,” he suggested quickly, taking his phone out of his pocket.  “Does your company let you have phones?”

            “No.  I mean, yes…”  Her phone was for urgent mission communication.  But she suddenly realized how terrible it would be if she never saw this man again, if she never heard his caring voice and his sarcastic jokes.  “My number is 555-1234.”  She could hardly believe what she just told him.  “Text me so I have yours, okay?”

            “Sounds like a plan,” he smirked.  “Hey, would you like to-”

            “I really need to go!” she reminded.  Before she rushed after Jessica, she realized she was holding onto his hand as tightly as he was holding onto hers.  She gave him one last smile before letting go.  “Goodbye!”

            She kept her distance from the Jung sisters as she followed them out the emergency exit of the building.  Remaining in the shadows of the parking structure, she waited for a text from G. Low to confirm their safe departure.  Her phone vibrated in her hand, but she checked it only to find a text from an unknown number. 

            “I don’t mean to worry you, but…my heart stopped beating.”