Chapter 10: Lies Abound

Jumping To The Rescue

Chapter 10

 

            In a quiet, beautiful community on the outskirts of Gangnam, a certain warmth and peace overwhelmed the frosty cruelty of winter.  Seohyun had picked this neighborhood for just this reason, and her huge villa appeared majestic in the snowy atmosphere.  Even the large driveway out front was a lovely winter wonderland.  The simple pond in the corner of the driveway was covered with a thin layer of ice and shriveling pink leaves from the trees.

            Loki leaned against a tree next to the pond and wondered if any fish had lost their lives in the shift of winter.  He was sure there had been fish in that pond during his prior assignments to the mansion.

            The quiet crunching of leaves caught his attention.  He peered over the picturesque brick wall surrounding the yard and tried to find the source of the sound.  “Soyul?  Is that you?”

            Suddenly the sound of an opening door pierced through the cold air.  A shocking scream came from the villa, and Loki quickly turned to see and terrified Seohyun standing by the front door.  She dropped a small shovel and a bag of fish food before throwing her hands to her face.  Though he stood nearly thirty feet away from her, he could clearly see the panic in her eyes.

            “Who are you?” she asked breathlessly.  “Do you live here?  I don’t recognize you.”

            “I-I…I don’t live here,” he stuttered, trying to take in a deep breath. 

            “Then, please, get out!” she exclaimed, moving back towards the door.  “I’ll have to call the police if you don’t!”

            “No!” he pleaded helplessly.  “I’m not going to hurt you!”

            “Agent Kim!”  Soyul’s loud, pretentious voice appeared mysteriously, causing both Loki and Seohyun to jump in fright.  The gate to the driveway aggressively swung open, revealing a tiny, aggravated Soyul covered in many layers of black clothing.  Her angry face was squished somewhat comically between her hat and her thick scarf, and Loki wondered if he wasn’t simply having a terrible nightmare.

            “Agent…Park?” he replied reluctantly, still unsure of her intentions.

            “Was there any sign of the convict on this premises?” Soyul questioned fervently.

            “…No,” he told, straightening his posture and lowering his voice.  “There was no sign of a convict, Agent Park.”

            “Ma’am!” Soyul called, walking towards Seohyun.  “We’re with the police.  There is a convict on the loose in your neighborhood.  Have you seen anyone mysterious recently?”

            Seohyun stared at her in obvious fear and confusion.  “Anyone mysterious?  No, not at all.  There’s a convict loose?”

            “A merciless murderer, if you must know,” Soyul explained simply, adjusting her scarf and wandering towards Loki.  “Well, Agent Kim, let’s move on.  Ma’am.”  She ce more to Seohyun.  “I’m sorry if Agent Kim scared you.  We’ll be moving on in our search.  I have no doubt you’ll be safe.  But please be aware of your surroundings and keep your place locked up.  Call the police if you see anything.”

            “I…I will!” Seohyun assured enthusiastically, rushing back into the villa.  She stared back out at Loki and Soyul with horror-filled eyes.

            Loki followed Soyul out of the driveway and slammed the door behind them.  He took her hand and turned her to face him.

            “Soyul, what was that?”

            Uncontainable laughter emerged from Soyul’s mouth and she gave a bright smile.  “That was absolutely hilarious.  Poor little Seobaby.  I hope she’s not too worried.”

            “Soyul, noona,” he sighed, shaking his head.  “We’re not supposed to lie to them.  Earman Kim said it could cause major problems.”

            The smile disappeared from Soyul’s face as she slowly nodded.  “Well…yes.  He did say that.  And he may be right.”  Her worried frown gradually turned into a broken grin.  “But, oppa, I know how much you like Seohyun.  How would you ever be able to marry her in the future if she thought you were a creepy ert?”

            “You did that for me?”  He looked down at her cheerless eyes and still couldn’t understand her actions.  “For real?”

            “Of course.”  She pulled her hand away and began to walk along the brick wall.  “Oppa, it’s my turn to watch Seo-ssi.  You need to watch the shorties at their apartment while Tiffany is away.”

            “Well…okay, noona.”

            He watched her as she quietly sang to herself and followed the wall.  What had she done?  Was this lie really something that could lead to a terrible disaster?  Why had she risked global economic collapse and turmoil for his infatuation that could possibly never be fulfilled?

            “Noona,” he called quietly.

            She paused to wipe a tear from her face before turning towards him.  “Yes, oppa?”

            “…Thank you,” he beamed, his eyes filled with appreciation.

            Even with the ache in her heart, she couldn’t help but return his innocent smile.  “You’re welcome, oppa.”