Chapter 11: Exposed and In the Dark

Jumping To The Rescue

Chapter 11

 

            The atmosphere of Chrome’s conference room was very solemn.  Earman Kim sat at the head of the conference table with Wifi Jung, staring sternly at the five girls before him.  Soyul seemed so young and feeble as she sat beside Gummi and leaned her head on her unnie’s shoulder.  Ellin strained to ease the stiffness in her neck and tried to return Choa and Way’s worried glances with a cheerful grin.

            “We have some time tonight, as The Nine are practicing their new single together,” Earman Kim began, looking down at his notebook on the table.  “I need to discuss a few things with you.  This is very important.”

            “Did the tech team find anything important concerning the neurotoxin?” Choa asked suddenly, her piercing gaze fixed on Kim. 

            “I suppose we’ll start with the neurotoxin,” Kim sighed.  “The lab let us know that the neurotoxin was made from a plant found in Northeastern China, Southern Daghan, and parts of Eastern Russia.”

            “I suppose that rules out Japan,” Soyul concluded, sitting up in her chair. 

            “It doesn’t rule out anyone, really,” Kim explained.  “Any terror group from any country could have obtained the plant.  And they may have even used this plant to frame other countries.”

            “So we’re back where we started.”  Way curled up in her chair and started to spin it around.

            “Not necessarily,” Kim continued.  “What’s really interesting about this attack is: why?  Why would they try to poison one of the girls with an easily cured neurotoxin?  Really, there wouldn’t have been much of a consequence.  Sunny would have recovered rather easily and be back to normal in a day or two.  They wouldn’t necessarily assume that it was an ‘attack’ of some sort.  If they were to assume someone poisoned her, they most likely would have blamed a sasaeng fan.  A short suspension of Girls’ Generation activities would be the worst result.  SM Entertainment would make a big deal about it in the media.  Album sales would probably soar.”

            “Why did they do it, then?” Gummi questioned anxiously.

            “We have one major theory.”  Wifi Jung looked at each girl fretfully before he continued.  “We believe that the people behind this may have suspected our existence.”

            “Our existence?” Ellin interrupted in amazement.  “What do you mean our existence?  We’re not necessarily hiding our existence.”

            “Our identities,” Jung elaborated.  “We may have thwarted their previous attempts to take down The Nine, and they used this attack to prove you were their guardians.”

            “So now we’re exposed and completely in the dark,” Soyul murmured angrily.  “How do we even begin to proceed in this position?  With the upcoming Mr. Mr. promotions, all of us, including The Nine, will be especially vulnerable.”

            “We just have to be more aware,” Kim informed wearily.  “This is where it’s going to get tough.  This is when your training and skills are going to be crucial.”

            “Certainly we’re going to be a bit shorthanded,” Gummi suggested with a somber expression.  “Are we forming another group to assist us?”

            “Commander Hwang is adamant that we do not form another group,” Kim replied.  “But we are going to bring in a few more men so Wifi Jung and I can be out in the field more often.  And we have new, upgraded gear for you.  We’ve made a small satchel filled with several antidotes and other medical materials that will replace your previous first aid kit.  The team will continue working on more advanced adjustments of your equipment, but everything concerning your schedules will remain the same.  Just be more alert.  Soyul is right; we are in a bit of darkness.”

            “Aish, is there any good news?” Ellin asked crossly.

            “Well…yes.”  A small smile appeared on Earman Kim’s face.  “Since you’re all back to normal, Ellin, we can proceed with our video shoot tomorrow morning.”

            Way stopped her spinning chair and pressed her hands to the table.  “The Hero video shoot?  The one with our new fire-resistant uniforms?”

            “Yep.”

            “And those wretched blinking lights on our heads?”  Ellin glared at Choa, who shyly looked away and gave Way’s chair a light push.

            “Unnie!” Way exclaimed furiously as her chair began to spin again.

            “I liked Choa unnie’s idea,” Soyul grinned.  “Besides, those lights may be useful in the future.”

            “They will be incredibly useful, actually,” Jung told excitedly.  “The light is a very special frequency of red that can be detected over long distances and through large masses with a special device the tech team created this week.  We’ve designed smaller versions, of course.  It will be best to keep them with you when we travel with the girls.”

            “And always wear the fire-resistant tights under your clothing,” Kim reminded.  “The girls have a lot of pyrotechnics in their concerts these days.”

            “We’re exceptionally prepared, aren’t we?” Gummi smiled, her affectionate gaze falling upon each of her younger members.  She wrapped her arm around Soyul and pulled her close.  “We’ll be alright.”

            “Yes, you will,” Kim assured cheerfully.  “I know things seem very serious and daunting right now, but I believe in you girls.  Try to enjoy the peaceful moments you have with each other and The Nine.  And, tonight, go back to the dorm and get some sleep.”

            “The dorm?” Ellin cried, suddenly grabbing Choa’s arm.  “It seems like ages since we’ve slept in the dorm.  I hate these HQ beds.  And we get to rest together?”

            “The Nine are spending the night in their dorm tonight.  Why don’t the five of you do the same?  You have a lot of work to do tomorrow.  Rest up.”

            “Come on, unnie.”  Soyul took Gummi’s hand and jumped up from her seat.  “Finally, we can spend the whole night massaging each other’s legs.  Aigoo, mine are so sore.”

            “Okay, Soyuli,” Gummi laughed, rising from her seat.  She gently pulled her hand from Soyul’s.  “But, Yul, I have to get something from the practice room.  Wait for me, okay?”

            “We’ll wait for you, unnie,” Way promised, tapping Gummi on the shoulder.  “And we’ll get your stuff from the overnight room.  Come on, Soyul.”

            Gummi followed the four girls out of the conference room, but quickly separated from them and dashed to the practice room.  It was lit by a single, flickering lamp in the corner of the room.  Her reflection on the mirror wall startled her, and she felt a shiver shoot down her spine as she nervously took her cell phone from her pocket.  She didn’t have to scroll down far to reach “Appa Baek 2nd Phone”.

            “Gummi-ah?”

            “…Happy birthday!” she whispered eagerly.

            He let out a shy laugh.  “Thank you, Gummi-ah.  How did you know?”

            “I have…ways,” she replied bashfully, reviewing her online research of Kim Jaejoong.  “Oppa, how was your birthday?  Were you very busy?”

            “I had a few things to do,” he told quietly.  “The fans were very kind.  Gummi-ah, why are you whispering?”

            “Whispering?”  She looked at the practice room door anxiously.

            “Are you at your company?”

            “Yes.  My manager is nearby.  He…He doesn’t know about us.  I mean, not us.  That sounds so strange.”

            “I understand.”  She could picture the smug smirk on his face.  “I will whisper as well,” he murmured.  “We can speak quietly together.”

            “Okay,” she snickered, sitting down on the wooden dance floor.  “Oppa, did you have a good birthday?”

            “I’ve had a very good birthday,” he said with an audible smile.  “Everyone has surrounded me with love.  I’m very overwhelmed, really.”  He paused for a moment, and she listened to his peaceful, steady breaths.  “Gummi-ah, I was somewhat worried.  I wondered if I wouldn’t hear from you for another couple weeks.  And that was…scary to me.  Perhaps I sound very strange.”

            “No,” she responded earnestly.  “Oppa, I feel that same fear.”

            “It’s quite paralyzing, isn’t it?” he chuckled shakily.  “I worry that you’ll be hurt while we’re apart and your heartbreak will overwhelm you, just as it did on Friday night.  Have you felt better since then?”

            “Oppa…”  Her heart began to race as she remembered the way he cared for her that night.  “If anything overwhelms me, it is your gentle voice and compassionate heart.  I’m feeling much better.  You’ve helped me so much.”

            “That makes me very happy,” he replied, his quiet voice filled with enthusiasm.  “It’s like a birthday present.”

            “Oh, oppa,” she interrupted reluctantly, her mind still lingering on his lovely words.  “Speaking of a birthday present, I have a proposition for you.  Have you been to the musical The Moon That Embraces the Sun?”

            His breaths suddenly became tense.  “The one with...Kyuhyun and Seohyun?”

            “Yep.”

            “I haven’t seen it yet.”

            “Well, there is a show playing tomorrow,” she explained.  “I have front row seats.  If you’re free, you should come with me.”

            “Gummi-ah, I would love to.  I really want to see you, but…”  He let out a short sigh.  “I don’t know if it would be a good idea.”

            “Why?”

            “Well, what would reporters say?” he started.  “If I were spotted at that musical starring two SM artists, it would cause a scandal.  Heads would roll.”

            “Oppa, don’t you think I’ve taken this into consideration?” she grinned mischievously.  “Don’t even worry about such things.  I have special access to all entrances and exits of the venue.  We will slip in and out without a single spotting.”

            “How do you have such access?”

            “And we will have a wonderful time together,” she promised, ignoring his question.  “Oppa, won’t you do this for me?  I…I miss you already.”

            She could sense his utter unwillingness, but she soon heard a small laugh.  “Aigoo, why should I deny my heart to beat any longer?  I will go with you, Gummi-ah.  And if there is any scandal, you will have to go down with me.”

            “Gladly,” she pledged jovially.  “Thank you, oppa.  I’m so excited!  The show starts at 8PM.  Meet me in the back alley of the venue at 7:45 so we can sneak in together.”

            “This already sounds quite scandalous, actually.”

            “Happy birthday, oppa.  I will talk to you tomorrow.”

            “Thank you, Gummi-ah.  Goodbye.”

            Gummi jumped up from the floor and rushed out of the practice room.  Peering into the conference room, she saw Earman Kim and Wifi Jung quietly discussing something at the table.

            “Earman Kim?”

            He gazed up at her with confused eyes.  “Yes, Gummi?  You’re still here?”

            “Um, yes.  I just had a quick question.”

            “What is it?”

            “Well, you know that I’ve been to Seohyun’s musical once before to monitor her,” she began.  “Don’t you think I may be recognized and deemed as some sort of creeper if I go alone again?”

            “I guess that’s something to consider,” Kim mused.  “I do recall Sunny giving me strange looks from the stage after I’d attended her musical several times.”

            “That’s my fear, you see.  Don’t you think it would be less conspicuous if I brought a friend with me?  Then it would be more natural, as if I’d invited the friend to go again after enjoying the musical so much the first time.”

            “That makes sense.”

            She stared at him pleadingly, wondering if he would connect the dots.  “Um…Could I have another ticket for a friend?”

            “Don’t you think it’s a bit dangerous involving an innocent person in a mission like this?” Wifi Jung asked suddenly.  “There’s a chance she could get hurt.”

            She.  Gummi barely contained a laugh in the back of .  She couldn’t ignore his concern, though.  Could Jaejoong really get hurt?

            “I suppose this situation is actually very safe,” Kim stated.  “It’s not likely the enemy would have any benefit from attacking during the musical.  As long as you’re not wearing your helmet, it will be difficult for them to recognize you in the crowd.  Your friend will be safe.  Just don’t become distracted.  You need to keep an eye on Seohyun.  I’ll give you both your tickets after the video shoot tomorrow.  Please, go and sleep!”

            Rushing out of the conference room, Gummi could already feel Jaejoong’s hand wrapped around her own.  She could already feel the security she always felt when she was with him.

            “Unnie, my goodness,” Soyul called as Gummi walked out of the Chrome building.  She took Gummi’s arm and dragged her down the street.  “The others already left for the dorm.  What in the world were you doing in the practice room?  Now there’s hardly any time for massages.”