Chapter 3: The Prophecy

Jumping To The Rescue

Chapter 3

 

            “I still don’t see why they’re so important to the world.”

            Soyul glared at Loki as she removed her Lonely Christmas helmet and fixed her hair.  His posture became incredibly tense as she continued to stare at him, and she finally rolled her eyes and laughed.

            “How were you ever recruited?” Soyul sighed, dancing around him as Ellin and Gummi followed the twins out of the dance room.  “You still don’t understand the mission.”

            “I mean, I’ll protect the girls, no problem,” he replied quickly.  “But I just don’t see why we have to protect them.”

            The rest of K-Much was due to be in the dance room for practice in five minutes, and Soyul didn’t know if she had enough time to get through Loki’s tough skull.  But she shrugged, placed her helmet on the floor, and decided to give a solid attempt.

            “All around East Asia, those girls have created the most intense fanbase in the world,” Soyul began.  “They’ve tried to take accurate information concerning the real number of SONEs in South Korea, China, Japan, and elsewhere, but the real estimate is more than half the population for most countries.  Not all the fans are teenage girls, but they are certainly dedicated people who admire their work.

            “At the same time, at this very moment, there is a tension in the East Asian countries.  Ideals are clashing.  Leaders are offending one another.  And everyone is scared of everything north of us.

            “The only reason none of them act upon the tension is because they know how powerful the SONEs are.  They dare not cause Korea to be mad at anyone, because that could mean the banning of Girls’ Generation music, videos, and other merchandise in a country.  That would cause SONEs to go wild.  It would take a mean toll on the country’s economy.  Those nine girls are far more powerful than we know.  And if you’re still in doubt, understand that everything matches with a thousand year old prophecy that mentions, in these exact words, “a powerful generation of nine whose wishes will cause love and peace to reign”.

            Loki stood motionless, staring off into space as if he’d never heard anything so astounding.

            “Did you even look at the prophecy?”

            “I, um…I think I read it once.”

            “Aish.”

            His cheeks flushed with pink, and she laughed mischievously at his embarrassment.  “Don’t worry, oppa.  As long as you protect them, you’ll be fine.  But you should get it together soon, because after My Oh My is released and promotions are all done, they’ll be working separately in different cities and countries.  It’s tougher when they do that.”

            “I can manage,” he assured with a hearty grin.

            His SWAT-like uniform was hardly put on correctly.  So many pockets were left ed, and his vest was far too askew.  She sighed and quickly started to make adjustments.

            “Oppa,” she started shyly.  “How will you ever survive without me?  I don’t understand how you plan to be successful and even start a family when you can’t make yourself look decent.”

            “I suppose I’m not too young to start thinking about marriage,” he agreed.  “I wonder…I wonder if Seohyun has even thought of it yet.”

            Soyul’s hands froze.  She looked up and scanned his eyes, noticing the hope and longing in them.  His smile was so exuberant.  She couldn’t look at his face anymore.  Straightening out his vest one more time, she wandered over to her helmet and picked it up. 

            “You…like Seohyun?”

            “She…I can’t help but feel…”  He looked at her suddenly, his eyes filling with sadness.  “I’m not supposed to think of them that way, I know.  Please don’t tell Earman Kim.  I don’t want him to doubt me.  I promise I won’t try to meet her.  I’ll protect her from afar, that’s it.”

            Clutching her helmet helplessly, she gave a slight nod.  “Don’t worry.  I won’t tell him.”

            His smile slowly returned to normal and he rushed up to hug her.  “Thank you so much, Soyul.  You’re the best.” 

            He gently tapped her on the head and gave a wicked grin, as he usually did.  But, for the first time, Soyul realized that he did that to everyone, and there was nothing special about it.  There was nothing remotely different about the way he treated her.  She usually never felt weak or exposed when she admired someone, but his words were more painful than any words a boy had ever told her.  She couldn’t deny the sudden feeling of regret and anger inside her.

            “If you want to be taken seriously by anyone, would you please keep your priorities straight,” she cried, stomping towards the door.  He stared after her in shock.  “And please, do us all a favor and read the dang prophecy!”

 

When the days are numbered

When we cross the bay

There will rise up

A generation of nine

Whose wishes will cause

Love and peace to reign

Guard them with your lives

Guard them with every skill

Upon them rests the sorrows of the land

Division is swallowed up by their voices

War could never drown their song