Chapter 12: Cookies

Jumping To The Rescue

Author's Note: What purpose does this chapter serve?  I've realized it really serves no purpose.  How did this happen? I have no clue. The only good thing about this short chapter is that it opens the door for a flashback chapter that I've been inspired to write. If you can get through this one, I can assure a flashback chapter soon. :)

 

Chapter 12

 

            Choa sat on the fire escape of Taeyeon, Tiffany, and Sunny’s apartment, crouching just below the window.  It was nearly midnight, and she could hear the muffled sound of Taeyeon’s quiet singing in the living room and Sunny’s noisy baking in the kitchen.  Choa frequently crept up to check inside.  Silently and gracefully, Tiffany practiced the Mr.Mr. choreography.  She stopped to give Taeyeon an angry glare.

            Unaware of Tiffany’s irritation, Taeyeon continued to sing, “Set me free, let me be…”

            “You’re throwing me off, unnie,” Tiffany sighed.

            “Tiffany, you know the choreography perfectly,” Taeyeon assured, holding her hand out to Tiffany.  “Come on and sit down with me.  We’re going to watch a movie and forget about the song for a while.  Sunny-ah, are you almost done with the cookies?”

            “I’m just taking them out of the oven!” Sunny announced excitedly.  Choa watched curiously as Sunny placed three of the freshly baked cookies on a small plate.  Before she could duck away from the window, Sunny was rushing over with the plate.

            “Sunny-ah!” Taeyeon called in confusion.  “Why are you opening the window?”

            As fast as she possibly could, Choa moved to the side of the window where neither Tiffany nor Taeyeon could see her.  Her heart beat fast as Sunny quickly stuck the plate of cookies out of the window.  She held it there for a few seconds before sticking her head out and staring oddly at Choa.

            “Way-ah,” Sunny whispered.  “I made these for you.  I’m sorry I can’t sneak a blanket out tonight.”

            Choa’s stomach turned as Sunny continued to ogle her.  Never once had she been noticed by one of The Nine on a mission.  Had she made a fatal mistake?  Didn’t they resolve Way’s awkward exposure of their existence?  Was the world’s fate at stake because of this small interaction concerning cookies and blankets?  Why was she calling her Way?

            “Unnie, it’s freezing outside!” Tiffany cried.  “Please, close the window!”

            “Please, take them, Way-ah,” Sunny urged, moving the plate of cookies closer to her.  “We don’t want them to know you’re out here.”

            Reluctantly Choa took the plate and observed the fresh cookies.  “Um…Thank you, Sunny-ssi.”

            “Sunny-ssi?  Have you become a different person?”  Sunny squinted her eyes and looked at Choa carefully.  Suddenly her eyes filled with horror, and she quickly closed the window and hurried away.

            “What in the world were you doing out there?” Taeyeon asked.

            “Just checking the weather!”  Fear was evident in Sunny’s voice.  Choa crept over to the window again and watched as she jumped onto the couch and grabbed Taeyeon’s arm.

            “Choa.”  Even Gummi’s calm voice startled Choa in the midst of her anxiousness.  Gummi peeked up from the fire escape level below and gave a bright smile.  Her bliss quickly disappeared when she noticed the nervousness on Choa’s face.  “Choa, what’s wrong?  Are you okay?”

            “I’m fine,” Choa murmured.  “But…Sunny just opened this window and called me Way.  Then she handed me these cookies.”

            “She thought you were Way?” Gummi questioned, climbing up to Choa’s level.

            Choa took a deep breath.  “I think she finally realized I was the other twin.  But that doesn’t explain why she should be talking to Way so casually.  She called me Way-ah.”

            “Way-ah?”  Gummi laughed quietly and sat next to Choa.  “Do you think Sunny and Way have been talking during missions?”

            “I don’t know,” Choa sighed.  “It seems like it.  Why are you laughing?  Isn’t this really dangerous?”

            “Well, Sunny knows about us,” Gummi began.  “Maybe Way has been smoothing out some rough edges.  And maybe she’s become friends with Sunny through the process.  I think Earman Kim and Commander Hwang are a little too strict when it comes to interacting with them.”

            “But don’t they know best?”

            “They never took this situation into account.  They never thought The Nine would find out our mission.  Now we have to make difficult decisions.  I trust Way.  And I trust you.  You’re completely qualified to make these kinds of calls.  The two of you have just as much military background as Commander Hwang, Earman Kim, and Wifi Jung.”

            Choa nodded her head and rested it upon Gummi’s shoulder.  “You’re right.  Things aren’t black and white anymore.”

            “But don’t worry too much, Choa,” Gummi grinned softly.  “We’re doing fine.”

            “Thank you, unnie,” Choa smiled.  “Unnie, how was the musical?”

            “The musical?”  Gummi stared off into the night as a smirk appeared on her face.  “It was really great.  Seohyun has improved a lot from last time.”

            “You’re so lucky you get to do so many undercover missions,” Choa insisted sadly.  “It seems like I’m always on some rooftop wearing this helmet.”

            “Oh, Choa,” Gummi frowned.  “Okay, I’m going to make sure you go to the next showing of Seohyun’s musical.”

            “Really, unnie?”

            “Yes,” Gummi promised.  “You’ll have a lot of fun!  It’s really exciting.”

            Before Gummi could describe the musical, a terrifying scream came from inside the apartment.  Both Choa and Gummi jumped over to the window and looked in.  All three Girls’ Generation members were staring at the television screen in fright, holding on to each other tightly.

            “They’re watching a horror film tonight?” Gummi whispered.

            “Yep.”  Choa took a cookie from the plate and took a small bite.  “It’s going to be a long night.”

            “It’s your sleep shift, Choa,” Gummi reminded, looking back at Choa.  “You should go to HQ quickly and make the most of it.  We have a photo shoot tomorrow.  You want to look your best.”

            “I guess you’re right.”  Choa handed the plate of cookies to Gummi and grinned.  “Here.  These cookies will keep you warm, unnie.”

            “Thank you, Choa,” Gummi replied with a grateful smile.  “Sleep well, okay?”

            “Okay, unnie!”