My Brother's Keeper (ch10)

My Brother's Keeper (ch1)

“The pizza’s probably ready. Jae will want to go. Yunho, shouldn’t you get going?”

Sighing, placing the plastic cup down on the counter, Yunho replied. “How ‘bout you get it tonight, Junsu-ah. Jae will get a kick going with you.”

“But-you always-”

“Yea, I always get it. You do it, tonight.”

Peering quizzically at Yunho for a moment, Junsu seemed confused. Inquiringly, he cast a quick glance to Yoochun, as if to find the answer. Yoochun shook his head.

And with a shrug, Junsu nodded, calling Jae to go with him as he walked out of the kitchen.
* * *
Jae, who was already curled up on the couch, his blanket wrapped around him and pulled all the way up to his chin, at the sound of Junsu’s call, practically, leapt out of the cover, nearly stumbling off the couch. And with a face all brightness and light, he reached out for Junsu’s hand.

Outside, the night had settled into a pleasantly warm evening. The air bore that scent of summer, a verdant scent, as if all the flowers of the day had given to the air one breath of their perfume. A heady wonderful aroma it was; one that made a person want to stop and take as deep of an inhale as they could, filling their lungs with the scent of life.

Up in the sky countless small stars peaked in and out of the evening clouds as they rolled by. Their small twinkling light sparked and danced so gaily that one might truly wonder if those orbs, hundreds of thousands of miles away, might be alive.

Maybe the fairy tales were true. Maybe those stars that the earth thought were just balls of light were in reality princesses from eons ago, living endlessly in another dimension above the world. And down below, looking up, what we see is the light from their endless lives.

Stepping outside, Junsu watched as Jaejoong stopped, dazzled by the night world around him. The dark eyes turned up, wide and full of wonder, gazing at the broad zenith over his head. The delicate mouth parted and a sigh escaped the tender lips. And Jaejoong, slowly and carefully, as if he were reaching through some sort of mist, trying to be cautious so as not to put a rip in it, reached out his hand towards the sky. Slender and pale, his delicate hand reached upward, seeking perhaps to touch, to feel the warmth of the world that blossomed over his head.

Junsu watched him. How many times had he heard Yunho say that Jae was not of this world he didn’t know. No doubt countless times, but Junsu thought it strange how, right now, watching Jaejoong peer humbly at the sky, his mouth moving in whispered conversation to some being beyond the reaches of any mortal voice, Jae really did seem to be some little prince of a forsaken magical world.

A world unknown to humans had lost their little prince ages ago. Legions of winged guardians were sent out in frantic search for the young royal; yet to no avail. Sadness seeped through the kingdom. However, when all seemed lost, one small child came in to say that the little prince had been found. He had fallen asleep on a cloud and the cloud evaporated, letting him fall all the way to earth. The child saw it and while unable to do anything to save him, wished with all her might that the little prince might fall into a soft embrace, his fall be broken by gentle arms. And as she watched him fall, she saw him tumble into the arms of a gentle giant. The child promised that the little prince would be ever safe on earth, so long as the giant held him near.

Junsu shook his head. Oh! What if the guys knew his thoughts? Then there would be no end to the teasing. Not only would he be labeled as having had cosmetic surgery to his lower end, but then they’d call him a total sap! Good thing thoughts were thoughts.

And yet, as they walked along, Jaejoong skipping every third step or so, Junsu admitted to himself that there was some truth in his thoughts. Just one look at Jae and one had to admit there was something special about him.

Granted his appearance alone was part of it. Jaejoong was strikingly beautiful. However, that aura extended beyond looks alone. In the very being of Jae, woven into the chords of his heart, there was something special. Often had been the times Junsu wondered what it was. He wondered if maybe that was Heaven’s way for making it up to Jae. He had been robbed of a normal life, but he would be given a power and a charm beyond the understanding of most.

And in that brief moment when Jaejoong looked to the sky, his mouth moving in silent conversation, Junsu really wondered if maybe Jae could talk to those Beings beyond our world.

Still moving, the young man tried to recall the first time he met Jae. Back then, he and Yoochun were still looking for an apartment and one night, coming back home to their accident trap, Yoochun suggested they go over and see Yunho and his brother.

Many times Junsu heard Chun talk about Yunho and the brother he was guardian to. Eager to meet the them, Junsu was quick to agree and both the young men went over there fro the evening.

Back then, never having met Jae before, Junsu had some preconceived notions about the special needs brother. He fancied him some sort of invalid, bound to a wheel chair, not at all capable of any recognizable interaction.

Yet, when he came up to the door, Junsu remembered nearly being dazzled by the individual who opened the door. This was someone with special needs? No way. This was a painting of old come to life-surely nothing less.

As they came up to a street to be crossed, Junsu shook his reverie away, and slipped his arm through Jae’s. A severe yelling from Yunho some time ago, and the horror of watching Jae scamper across the street one day, taught Junsu well that he needed to keep a close grip on Jae when it came time to cross the street.

For on top of that, crossing streets was an event to Jaejoong. Any time he walked and came to a street, he energy bubbled up. He bounced up and down, looking excitedly one way and then another. Sometimes, he would point out the cars as they whizzed by.

So, standing on the curb, Junsu held on to Jaejoong with care and told him to wait until there were no cars coming from either direction. Nodding as if he had heard it a thousand times, Jae shook his head, explaining to Junsu that Yunho always told him to look both ways.

“I’m a good street-crosser,” he boasted.

Trying to hold back a laugh, Junsu nodded and led Jae across the street, where the pizza parlor sat on the other side.
* * *
Back inside the apartment, Jaejoong rushed ahead of Junsu, who held the pizza, despite all of Jae’s pleading that he could carry it. Yet remembering the time when Jaejoong had indeed carried the pizza back, and as a result, he, Yunho and Yoochun spent an hour cleaning off the pizza from the floor, Junsu told Jae he could be the look-out on the way home. Jae could tell Junsu if there were any cracks or holes in the sidewalk he should avoid.

So, as they came back in, Jaejoong rushed into the kitchen to tell Yunho and Yoochun what a great look-out he had been. Junsu didn’t trip.

Approvingly, Yunho patted his brother on the back and came over to Junsu.

“How was he,” Yunho asked, quietly so as Jaejoong should not hear.

“He was great, Yunho-ah. We had a real fun time. You should’a come.”

“Thanks,” Yunho chuckled slightly, “I have all the fun I can handle sometimes.”

The comment was made lightly, carelessly and when Junsu looked over to Yunho he didn’t see anything other than that perpetual gentle, tired look in his eye. Yet-yet, the comment sound strange coming from Yunho.

But it was not a comment to be pursued. And being Junsu was not one for that kind of confrontation, he let it alone. Why pick a fight? Surely, it was nothing and Junsu knew that Yunho did indeed have his hands full with Jae most of the time. How could he, a casual interloper suddenly come in and think he knew better than the one who had been doing it all his life?

And as all four of them collected around the table to eat, the comment was quickly forgotten.

Conversation passed itself around in all directions as they ate. Mostly Yunho, Yoochun and Junsu talked of old times. Escapades each had experienced, some shared, others so outrageous they were not admitted at all.

Yoochun told of a time when he and Yunho drank soooo much “Kool-aide” that neither of them could stand and proceeded to amaze a crowd at a local bar with their karaoke abilities. Of course, the event was not one Yunho admitted to remembering.

During all the talk, Jaejoong sat quietly, eating his pizza with a knife and fork as he always did. But he did not talk, listening to his three hyungs talk about great adventures. And Jaejoong listened with his whole being, not just his ears. It was as if he inhaled the words as he took each breath.

When it came time for the movie, Jae wriggled himself between Yunho and Yoochun on the sofa, offering to share his blanket. For, of course, it was a wonderful blanket.
The movie tonight was a classic story and Yunho offered Junsu an approving look when he realized that tonight at Boy’s Night they would be enjoying “My Friend Flicka,” a charming story about a young child and their horse. Perfect.

As the movie played, and Yunho felt Jaejoong wriggle close to him, one look towards his brother’s face was all he needed to tell him that soon, Jae would be perfectly asleep, dreaming about a horse of his own. Carefully, Yunho positioned himself so that his arm was already around Jaejoong, so that he might catch the slender body as it drifted off to sleep.

It was a movement perfected by much practice as Jaejoong always fell asleep when he watched a movie at Boy’s Night. Back in the early days of the weekly ritual, Yunho used to wonder why. Jae didn’t always fall asleep watching movies at home. However, home was not usually packed with such energy as Yoochun’s was. The whole idea of Boy’s Night put Jae into such a high-wired state and held him running on all his little cylinders that it was no wonder that when talk quieted down and the hum of the television played, Jaejoong fell quickly asleep.

And it was a good thing, really. For there had been a time when Jae entered into such a state of energy, Yunho wondered if he would ever stop trembling whenever his brother laughed.

That one night started off as many did at Yoochun’s. Jae was bouncy coming over and flitted his way from room to room while dinner was being made. During dinner, he sat quietly, soaking in all the conversation and during the movie, he watched with all earnestness.

Yet, what was different about that night was what happened after dinner. The movie was shorter than expected and Jae asked what else they could do before it was time to go home.

Trying to think what might be a good idea, and what might settle Jae down enough so that he’d drop right off to sleep when they did get home, Yunho suggested playing a game. A game quick and easy-Hide and Seek. The idea was greeted by Jaejoong with much hand clapping and glee. Yunho volunteered to be it and turned around, covering his eyes to count to twenty-five. As he counted, he heard Jae’s light footfall scamper into another room. Yunho decided he would look for Jaejoong last, give him a thrill that his was the best hiding spot of all.

So, when Yunho was done counting, he announced his approach to find everyone. His first find was Yoochun, whom he announced having found very loudly. And then Yunho pretended to rummage around in search for Junsu, trying to take as much time as possible.

Yet, as he moved about the room, noisily, A sound caught Yunho’s ear. A stifled, un-even sound that fell upon his ear and drained its way to his heart.

Jaejoong was hyper-ventilating. He was so excited, and trying to stifle so much laughter that his emotions got to such a state where his mind could not longer keep up.

Yunho practically tore down the door into the room where he knew Jaejoong hid. His brother’s form, rigid and cast down upon the floor sent such a rush of blood to Yunho’s head that, at first, he saw nothing but darkness.

There was his brother, the slender neck bent back, veins beginning to protrude. His mouth was open, extended beyond what it should be; Yunho could nearly hear his jaw crack. Right at that moment, Jae seemed as a music box, wound so tight that the spring had burst, and the melody, once so sweet and lovely, played at a frightening speed.

Practically throwing himself down onto the floor, Yunho lifted Jae into his arms and pressed his cheek up against Jae’s. Words were beyond Jaejoong now. The only thing to call him out, to calm him down was touch. The feel of Yunho’s skin upon his own, the warmth of his brother’s cheek resting upon his, was the only hope to revive Jae.
And slowly, Yunho felt the dear frame relax. He felt the rise and fall of Jae’s chest return to normal.

What a night that had been.

And suddenly, as Jae was nestled up against Yunho, suddenly Yunho clung to him very tight. Both his arms wrapped around Jae and drew the beloved frame as close to his own body as he could.

Suddenly, Yunho was afraid. Of that time. Of any other time. This was his brother. His Jaejoong.

And even though Yunho thought Jaejoong to be asleep, he heard that soft voice waft up.

“Yunho-ah. I love you.”

Top of Form

       

Bottom of Form