My Brother's Keeper (ch11)

My Brother's Keeper (ch1)

And slowly, Yunho felt the dear frame relax. He felt the rise and fall of Jae’s chest return to normal.

What a night that had been.

And suddenly, as Jae was nestled up against Yunho, suddenly Yunho clung to him very tight. Both his arms wrapped around Jae and drew the beloved frame as close to his own body as he could.

Suddenly, Yunho was afraid. Of that time. Of any other time. This was his brother. His Jaejoong.

And even though Yunho thought Jaejoong to be asleep, he heard that soft voice waft up.

“Yunho-ah. I love you.”
* * *
For some more Yunho sat with Jaejoong on the sofa, his arms around him, holding the delicate body up. In the quiet of the room, as Yoochun and Junsu moved about softly, so as not to waken Jae, Yunho listened to the slight rasp of his brother’s breathing. He felt, as the dear head rested against him, warm pockets of breath tumble out of that lovely mouth, so slightly agape.

And Yunho, let his head rest, with the greatest of care, atop Jaejoong’s. He closed his eyes and drifted off.

Yet what must have been only little less than an hour later, Yunho woke up, surprised to find that he had fallen asleep and eager to move as a cramping pain was beginning to swell up in his leg. Carefully, he shifted, slipping his leg out from under Jae, and managed to stand up-laying Jaejoong carefully back down on the couch.

This was a technique Yunho had polished to a shinning perfection over the years. Countless had been the nights when Jaejoong had fallen asleep in his lap. Numerous were the times when Jaejoong, frightened by a noise, or agitated by some image he had seen during the day, begged Yunho to go to sleep with him.

And over time, with so many chances to practice, Yunho found that there was a certain technique to getting up without waking Jaejoong. One of the first things to consider was just how long Jae had been asleep. If it was only under half hour, than Yunho needed to be prepared for Jaejoong to awaken, as his initial step into slumber was always very light. Given that more times than not, Yunho did want to get up without waking him, he was forced to wait until at least a full hour had passed and the rise and fall of Jaejoong’s chest was deep and steady. And once Jaejoong was in his deep sleep, Yunho could attempt moving.

The first step in this operation was to move in a slow, controlled manner. Sudden movements shattered the moment. Moving the portion of his body that Jae slept on, usually his leg, as if he were pushing through molasses, Yunho could then extricate at least one part of himself.

However, just because his legs were free, did not mean that there was still not an obstacle to overcome. He had not, of yet, stood up. And that was a trial in and of itself, consisting of Yunho holding Jaejoong in the position he had fallen asleep in, getting up from under him, and laying the dear frame back down so as not to disturb him.

And tonight, as Yunho moved carefully, to stand up without waking Jaejoong, Yoochun looked on, smiling. He did not happen to have this talent, as time had proved on a few separate occasions.

And, as he watched Yunho’s care to simply stand up, his utmost concern not to disturb Jaejoong in the slightest, Yoochun, suddenly moved, came over to him, smiling and put his hand on Yunho’s shoulder.

His touch, when Yunho’s concentration was so high, startled the young man and he nearly jumped.

“What,” he hissed, looking quickly back at Jaejoong, who, luckily, still slept soundly.

“Nothing,” Yoochun chuckled. “You’re really good at that.”

“What? Oh, that. Yea, well. You get him to sleep after a long day and then we’ll talk about how careful you’d be not to wake him up and have to go through the whole thing again,” he replied a bit tartly, irritated that Yoochun could have woken Jaejoong up.

Despite Yunho’s sharp reply, Yoochun still smiled, and patted Yunho on the shoulder.

The two young men moved back into the kitchen, to start washing the dishes and clean up from the night. But also, to have the freedom to talk out loud. Their conversation was general, catching up on what one another had been doing over the past few days.

Yet, Yunho, who managed to keep up his conversation with Yoochun, without missing a beat, let his mind wander to the long list of things he still had to get done tonight.

Clicking away, the young man went through all the duties he had skipped when he brought Jaejoong over for Boy’s Night. The list seemed to drag out endlessly in his mind, ranging from chores he should have had done at home, like the laundry, which was still sitting in a pile in the basement, to a folder packed full of the briefs from the meeting at work he left early from to take Jaejoong to the doctor. His boss had been insistent that Yunho get those read by the time he came to work the next morning and judging from the expression on his boss’ face, this was not one of those times when Yunho could hope to claim “family duties” as an excuse for why the work had not been attended to.

Unfortunately, as much as Jaejoong enjoyed Boy’s Night and as much as Yunho truly enjoyed the time to catch up with Yoochun and Junsu, the long list of nagging duties to be done that seemed to be getting longer with every dish he dried was one of the reasons that Yunho had wished countless times, they could just skip the whole thing. It took a valuable chunk of time out of the carefully balanced day Yunho strove to maintain.

As things stood now, if Yunho did not have a chance to get some of these things done tonight, it would only mean more for him to do tomorrow. And tomorrow was Yunho’s day to be After-School Helper. He couldn’t let that duty rise up on him with a load of others undone.

And standing there, in the kitchen, Yunho suddenly thought that if he were to run home now, leaving Jaejoong asleep on the couch, he could get some laundry done, clean the house a bit, lay out Jae’s clothes for the next day, thereby opening up a space of time for him to read those notes later in the night after both he and Jaejoong were home.

It seemed a good idea. Jaejoong was asleep, tuckered out from all the excitement of Boy’s Night; he’d sleep until someone woke him up, surely.

Turning to Yoochun who was in the middle of relating the ridiculous thing Junsu said to the store clerk the other day, Yunho said, “Hey, can I run home for a bit? If I don’t some stuff done tonight, I’m sunk when I go to school tomorrow.”

Yoochun shook his head, confused momentarily by the incredible disconnect of what he was saying to Yunho’s response. Yet, he had known this man for years and Yoochun was keenly aware that, oftentimes, Yunho’s mind was far away.
So, smiling he replied, “Yea. Go ahead. Did you wanna leave Jae here?”

“Yea, that way I can come back and get him and just put him to bed when we get home. Is that fine? He’ll stay asleep, I’m sure. He was pretty tuckered out.”

“Yea, he didn’t make even half-way through the movie. Sure. Go do what you need to.”

And with that, Yunho cast a thankful glance to his friend, and moved quickly out of the kitchen.

Listening to the sound of the door, as Yunho closed it carefully behind him, Yoochun came out of the kitchen, looking to make sure Jaejoong was still asleep.

The fair face rested upon a pillow, waves of his dark hair falling over the pale skin. Coming over to him, Yoochun carefully brushed back the silken hair, revealing even more poignantly the deep glow that fairly illuminated Jaejoong’s delicate features.

And as he gazed at this individual, lost in world of dreams no one but him would ever be the keeper of, Yoochun remembered the first time he had ever met Jaejoong.

Back then, Yunho and he were quite a bit younger, freshly out of high school, newly turned eighteen. In those days, Yoochun had just met Yunho and knew very little about him. And he thought it strange that this young man, who was so popular with everyone, who had so many talents, and who seemed such an obvious candidate for success, should be so utterly unconcerned about the whole thing. Graduating as class Valedictorian, Yunho’s only concern out of high school seemed to be to move out of the house.

At the time, he was living with his Aunt Yee and was always in a rush to get home. Yoochun never knew why. And for all the times that he asked Yunho what it was that was so important at home, Yunho never answered him directly. After a certain point, Yoochun felt that Yunho must have some princess locked away inside his room, whom he was keeping secret from all the world.

One day, walking with Yunho, watching his friend’s naturally clear complexion, grow pale and flushed, Yoochun ventured to ask again what it was that Yunho championed in such desperation. Yet, like every other time, Yunho only smiled and said that his life at home was important. Yoochun argued if it was so important, than why was he so desperate to keep it a secret. And yet again, Yunho only smiled.

Irritated, Yoochun accused Yunho of not really being his friend, of not trusting in him enough to tell him what was really going on.

Yet, as soon as he spoke the words, he regretted them. Yunho looked down. Yoochun saw his lip tremble. And for a moment, Yunho was incapable of speaking. At last, his answer was to take Yoochun by the arm, and lead him all the way back to the house.

And inside the house, Yunho still not having said a word, but the expression on his face getting wilder and wilder, he led Yoochun all the way down into a basement, to a room-and a locked door.

Suddenly afraid, Yoochun apologized for his words, said the whole thing wasn’t important. Yet Yunho, chest heaving, and tears starting from his eyes, grabbed the door knob and burst in through the room.

And there, Yoochun saw in the middle of the room, curled up on the floor, the most beautiful being he had ever seen. Surely, this person was not real. This lovely young face, and delicately slender body that lay so completely asleep. Was it possible that Yunho did really keep a magical being? An elfin fairy from a distant, immortal land?

And Yunho, fighting back a sob, walked over to the beauty and slipped his arms around him. And the fair child, at the touch of Yunho, buried his fair face into Yunho’s shoulder.

“This,” Yunho croaked, “this is my brother. Jaejoong.”

Yoochun learned that night, sitting in the basement what it was that kept Yunho always so busy. He learned that this lovely young creature, Yunho’s own blood, was the cause he championed, disabled from a childhood accident and forever to remain locked in youth.

And now, watching Jaejoong sleep so soundly as he did that night, Yoochun couldn’t help but reach and the fair face.

But suddenly, a siren from an outside police car wailed past the apartment. The dark eyes burst open. Yoochun, his hand still on Jae’s face, carefully slipped his hand into Jae’s, smiling reassuringly, though his heart skipped a beat. He hoped that Jae would only turn around and go back to sleep. And it seemed, for a moment, that that was indeed to happen. For Jaejoong smiled at Yoochun and was about to turn over.

Unfortunately, Junsu stepped out right then and said, “Hey Yoochun, isn’t Yunho back yet?”

Right then, Yoochun watched Jae’s eyes grow wide in panic. He watched the frail frame become rigid, and despite all his calming words, Yoochun knew Jaejoong was about to panic.

He could have strangled Junsu for being so careless, but that was not to be considered now. He had to find a way to keep Jae from panicking.

Junsu, realizing immediately what he had done, rushed over to Jae, and began to rub his back. In the mean time, Yoochun stayed directly in front of Jaejoong’s face, so that the only thing Jae could see was Yoochun-another face, a face that meant he was not alone.

But Jaejoong was beginning to speak. Broken words, cut off by unsteady gasps for air. He struggled to get up, trying to get off the couch and go look for Yunho. The dark eyes were frantic, and beginning to glaze over. He shook, his whole body vibrating. And large drops of sweat started from his brow.

“W-where-where-is-is Yunho? Yunho? Yunho?!”

He screamed, tearing out from between Junsu and Yoochun, and running frantically for the door, trying in desperation to open the door. But Yoochun and Junsu were too fast for him. Both of them grabbed Jae, wrestling him away from the door and back to the couch.

Yoochun, trying to clasp both of Jae’s hands in his own, to steady him, to calm him-called out to Junsu.

“Quick! Call Yunho!”

“I’m sorry,” Junsu said in response and dug his phone out of his pocket.

Few words were necessary-

It’s Jae.

Yunho knew instantly with a cold ill feeling seizing him. And driving through every red light, disregarding every stop sign, he crashed back through the door of the apartment.

Still Yoochun and Junsu wrestled with Jae, who by this time, had broken into a fit of hysterics, screaming, crying, and laughing.

Pushing both Yoochun and Junsu out of the way, Yunho grabbed Jaejoong, pressing his brother’s body as close to him as he could.

His words, barely audible through Jae’s cries, were simple. He spoke them, resting his cheek against Jae’s.

“Jaejoong. Jaejoong. I’m here. I’m here. It’s all okay.”
Again and again, as if it were some sort of lullaby, Yunho repeated these words over and over.

Over and over. And, as if their utterance bore with it the most calming of perfumes, Jaejoong cries drifted away.

And Yunho, with all the care of a father lifting his child, disturbed by a bad dream, lifted Jaejoong into his arms and said, “Okay, Jae. Let’s go home.”

Top of Form

       

Bottom of Form