The Power of Fear

In Everything Lies the Unknown

Chapter 29

The Power of Fear

 

"Why do you love me? What makes you attracted to me?" Yoona threw one question to another towards Yuri finally realizing that there was something amiss.

 

The recognition from Yuri's eyes when they first met. The strong emotions she had with Yuri, strong bond of familiarity.

 

"You are becoming of yourself again Yoong"

 

"I'll die this time if it will happen again"

 

Yoona remembered what Yuri said to her at the time when they were at the party.

 

"Yuri,please... Tell me. Do you know something? Did you know me before? Did you know who my parents and where were they? What happened to me?" Yoona got desperate.

 

She thought that she wouldn't  care. But the opportunity of finding something about herself made her curious and made her desire to learn more.

 

Yuri looked away from her.

 

"I am sorry but I don't know what you mean" Yuri said in a strained voice as if she was holding something back but Yoona did not notice this.

 

“You told me that you do not want to lose me AGAIN. Something must have happened before that's why you said that. I might know you before—“

 

"Sorry, I think you misunderstood something. I--"

 

Yuri felt like choking, the moment she looked at Yoona filled with hope and desire to know more. But as much as she wanted to tell Yoona the truth, she can't because this is not the right time and it would only put Yoona in more danger.

 

Yuri knew that if she told the truth to Yoona , the doe eyed girl will confront the princess and it may be the very reason for the princess to take away the love of her life from her permanently.

 

She may never see her.

 

Yuri decided that it is not the right time and did what she thought was the best for the two of them.

"I never met you before Yoona, The very first time I laid my eyes on you was the very first day you entered this academy"

 

The two were silent for awhile. Not breaking their gazes at each other.

 

Then, Yoona laughed. Yuri cringed hearing Yoona's laughter because she knew that it was forced with a mixture of hurt.

 

She endured it all and closed her eyes to calm herself down.

 

"Sorry, you might think I am crazy" Yoona said with her fake smile which Yuri knew so well.

 

Yuri said that maybe she was just tired and needed a rest.

 

"Yeah, I think I might need that. Thank you for accompanying me here and sorry ... Lets just not have a fight like this ok?" Yoona said as she hugged Yuri.

 

Yuri hugged her back with a little tightness.

 

"I am so Sorry Yoona" Yuri muttered as she laid her chin to Yoona's shoulder.

 

"It's ok Yul, couples normally fight" Yoona said tapping Yuri's back.

 

Yuri let out a bitter smile. As Yuri exited Yoona's room and closed it. She leaned her forehead on the door making it as a support for her loss energy.

 

"I am so sorry for lying to you, Yoona" she whispered.

 

Normal POV

 

Sounds of clicking cameras were heard surrounding the young woman as soon as she landed from her private jet.

 

"What makes you come here ?"

 

"Are you aware of the rumors about the rebellion?"

 

"How long are you gonna stay in Korea?"

 

 "Who are you with?"

 Questions were immediately thrown at her hoping that they would find something interesting to write on their article.

 

The young woman just continuously walked to her limousine ignoring the press.

 

She entered her limo and sat down,

"I would never expect that there will still some press here during this time of the night"

 

The man smirked at the young woman.

 

"Well, what can you expect? They are leeches; they are bound to stick until they are exterminated"

 

"How can you bear them sticking around your nose, uncle? I never expected you to tolerate them. Honestly, they annoy me"

 

"Habaha, Savannah you have no idea how intolerant I am especially with them. It looks like they do not know how to treat some respect to us anymore"

 

"So, how do you deal with them?"

 

"Unfortunately, my dear Savannah, Nothing. I can't do anything about it because your father likes the idea of freedom of speech. Without him knowing that the freedom that he is giving to them only makes them more hmmm..let say out of way to the system our family built"

 

"What do you mean?" Savannah curiously asked.

 

"Fear is the most powerful thing in this world. Without fear, there will be no system. Without the system, there will be no us. Didn't I teach you about this before? Remember how you were able to get that doll of yours" her uncle smirked.

 

Savannah looked away somehow feeling the guilt. Truth to be told, she has accepted already how powerful fear was to every person's life.

 

She did not want to use it but fate urged her to make a move or else the most important person will be taken away from her.

 

She did not bother to reply anymore to her uncle. She closed her eyes hoping that they will arrive soon to their destination before tiredness completely overtakes her.

 

Flashback

 

A seven year old little girl was inside a library reading books. History, literature, language, laws, etc.

 

Books that were  to be read by an adult not a little girl who was supposed to read bed time stories and fairy tale kind of happy ending.

 

The little girl's eyes were now dropping tempting to close as tiredness was slowly creeping out of her body.

When she was about to go to her own dreamland a large thud of the stick in front of her desk was heard making her jolt in her seat.

 

"What do you think you are doing?" An adult woman strictly asked shooting daggers by the looks she was giving to the young woman.

 

"I-I was just resting a little bit mother. I -I promise I'll go back to studying as soon as my energy has been restored" the young girl replied to the woman who seemed to be her mother.

 

"Rest for awhile" her mother mocked her then, the young girl feel that her body was burning inside.

 

The young girl narrowed her eyes deeply scared.

 

"I am sorry . I just felt sleepy from all the studying please, don't hurt me" she desperately cried.

 

"Then this will help you wake up"

 

"Ahhh!!!no.. pleaase..."

She could feel the pain all throughout the inside of her body.

 

Her heart felt like contracting tight as she had difficulty breathing. Her eyes were bloodshot and her face was tuning pale at the same time red from the pain.

 

She dropped down on her knees, eventually laid down on the floor in a fetus like position, tears uncontrollably flowing in her eyes.

 

She looked at her surroundings observing the maids and her mother's escorts just watching her not even trying to help her.

 

One maid and her made an eye contact.

 

The young girl beg asking for the maid to help her through her eyes but the maid did not do anything at all and avoid her gaze at the young little girl.

 

The girl felt helpless and alone.

 

 There are more than ten people inside the library accompanying her and her mother but for her, she felt like they were just little toys that mother likes to be play with just like how her mother saw her.

 

"Rest is a luxury you cannot afford Savannah. You are the princess and I want you to be the best. We wouldn't want our position to be taken away from us do we? I don't want to lose my position Savannah. I will do anything in my power to hold what I have even throwing everything useless in this world" her mother said with venom.

 

Savannah, as little girl she was, just nodded helplessly.

 

The girl went back to studying trying hard to control the noise from her sobbing.

 

"My queen, your presence is needed in the visitor's hall."

 

"Hmmm... Who would be visiting this late evening?" The queen asked.

 

"The childhood friend of the King together with her husband and children"

 

"That woman is here again!? And. She brought her family in my own palace. How shameless..." The queen angrily said.

 

"Savannah, we will postpone your studying tonight. I have to attend to some visitors. For the meantime, go to your room and reflect your actions. Understood?" Her mother sternly instructed her.

 

Savannah nodded feeling relieve to leave.

 

The queen left attending to the visitors.

Savannah was walking silently having hiccups from crying too much. She stopped herself from walking in the halls and wipe her tears with her arms.

 

"No, a princess does not cry" she thought and stood straight and dignified.

 

When she looked ahead, she saw a girl smaller than her.

 

The girl curiously watched her with awe.

 

Savannah did not know that there was a little girl in the palace.

 

 Usually if there are, they were the servant's child who knew best not to roam around the palace where the royal family could see them.

 

Savannah looked at the girl. She knew from the clothing and the way the girl stood that the little girl was not just a mere servant.

 

"Who are you? And what are you doing in here?" Savannah asked with hostility in her voice.

 

The little girl just grinned.

 

"You are not a very hospitable princess" the girl giggled and bowed her head a little to show some respect.

 

"I'm Yoona by the way. It's nice to meet you Princess Savannah" the girl named Yoona introduces herself formally.

 

"Likewise" Savannah simply said still wondering who Yoona was.

 

"Say Princess, do you want to like show me around?" The girl asked her.

 

She was about to grab Savannah's arm and dragged the princess with her when. Savannah immediately stepped back.

 

Yoona looked surprised.

 

"What's wrong?" She asked.

"If you don't want to die early,  it's better not to touch me" Savannah said.

 

Yoona let out a sad smile for her. Savannah expected the girl to be scared and run off from her but instead Yoona sympathizes with her.

 

"I heard about one of your powers. They say that you have the ability to the life energy of the person you came in contact with"

 

Savannah looked ashamed.

 

No one had ever touched her not even her parents.

 

 The day she started learning how to walk was the day this power of hers came out.

 

Her first victim was her nanny. As soon as she cradle in her nanny's arms, she felt energy flowing and entering her body.

 

She felt stronger but then her nanny suddenly collapsed on the floor.

 

She did not know what happened but then, a loud scream from the other servants were heard and from that moment on, everyone feared her and nobody dared to talk to her.

 

Her own parents did their best to conceal everything that had happened and on her 5th birthday which she was supposed to be introduced to the whole kingdom, her parents especially the Queen decided to hide her in the public and here she was now locked up in the big mansion with only her toys to keep her company.

 

" Princess?" Yonna called her attention.

 

"Yes, that's right. I can kill you with a mere touch so I advise you not to touch me." The princess answered her question and walked past her but before she could distance herself more, her hand was grabbed by the nosy girl.

 

Alarmed, she immediately yanked her hand making the girl stumbled back and accidentally bumped on a large vase causing it to fall and break.

 

"What is going on here?!!" The queen and few people behind her appeared because of the noise of the fallen vase.

 

The queen looked at the vase and back to her daughter. She narrowed her eyes, anger was very evident.

 

"Didn't I tell you Savannah to quietly go back to your room and reflect?"

 

"I-I..." Savannah mumbled scared.

 

"You know what I hate the most is the mumbling Savannah. It’s unbecoming of a princess. You want to get punish again do you" the queen said when she took a whip from the guard's hand and attempted to hit her.

 

Savannah closed her eyes waiting for the pain to be felt from her mother's wrath.

 

But she did not feel anything but she was sure she heard the whip had violently made contact with a skin.

 

Curious, she opened her eyes and saw the little girl's back. The girl had her head turned sideways as blood dripped on the floor from her face.

 

The little girl faced the queen bravely.

 

"My mom taught me that parents scolded their children because they love them but you trying to hurt your own daughter is something that is out of love" the girl innocently said.

 

The queen flared in anger and demanded who that child was.

 

Her guard told her that the little girl was the visitor's child.

 

So, the queen looked at child again with more anger.

 

"You know what little girl, you are the same as your mother. You like being nosy in other people's business therefore, you should be punished as well" the queen was about to hit the girl when the king arrived.

 

"What do you think you are trying to do, Ravennah!?" The king shouted calling his queen by her name.

 

"Don't stop me, my beloved king. I won't tolerate those who show no respect in this house" she said.

 

"They are just a child. Don't you think you have caused them harm enough?"

 

"Are you trying to stop me?"

"I am not trying. As your king, I demand to stop this madness"

 

"I am a queen and I deserve to have control to whatever I do?"

 

The king and queen argued, not wanting to listen to the adult's bickering. Yoona decided to leave and dragged the princess too.

 

Even before Savannah could protest, she was already running holding to Yoona's hand as the girl dragged her.

 

Thank God for her gloves if not, she would kill an innocent girl.

 

Yoona stopped and looked at her somewhat angry.

 

"Why are you letting your own mother to hurt you like that?" She said concerned.

 

"It doesn't matter. No one cares anyway" she said as if it wasn't a big deal.

 

Yoona did not say anything.

 

Silence was swallowing the two if then as they stood facing each other.

 

Savannah noticed Yoona's wound on her right cheek.

 

"Aren't you going to clean yourself up?" She said while pointing at her right cheek to make Yoona look at her right cheek.

 

Yoona checked her right cheek and there was a cut she shrieked a little.

 

"My mom and dad are gonna kill me, I have damaged my asset"

 

Savanna tilted her head looking at Yoona in confusion.

 

"They are gonna kill you because of that?" She asked.

 

Yoona looked at the girl and just laughed.

 

"No silly, I was just exaggerated but I will get a scolding for sure just look at this beautiful face being damaged" she said arrogantly.

Savannah unbelievably looked at her but noticing the silliness of Yoona, she laughed finally getting the joke.

 

"You are the first narcissist person I have ever known. Come , let's go to my room and I will treat that wound so that it won't get infected"

 

Yoona smiled as she followed the princess.

 

She was now sitting on the floor of the princess room while facing Savannah.

 

"This may hurt a little bit"

 

"Ouch! Aw aw" Yoona said but keep still.

 

Savannah laughed.

 

"You sound like a puppy!"

 

And they both laughed.

 

"Let's be friends, princess" Yoona said as soon as Savannah finished putting bandage on her face.

The princess frowned somewhat scared what if the girl found out about her power.

 

The little girl was already aware but she has not seen what was like when she actually use it or even accidentally use it.

 

"I - I can't" she then said making Yoona sad.

 

"Why not?" The girl simply asked.

 

"Because I'm a monster" the princess said and remembered how her mother said this to her as well as the little whispers of the servants in the mansion.

 

"You are not" Yoona said and tried to get closer to the princess.

 

"No stay back! If I touch you , you'll end up dead" she panic.

 

"Is that why you are always wearing long sleeves and gloves even in this summer weather"

No reply came from the princess.

 

Yoona felt pity because the fact that they were the same.

 

They were just a child who were forced to mature because of the circumstances of their family's position but unlike her, the princess had it worse as she saw how unloving and uncaring were the people towards the princess.

 

Yoona laid her hand towards to the princess. The princess immediately shook her head denying giving the girl her hand.

 

But Yoona simply muttered to trust her.

 

She then reluctantly gave it to Yoona and before the princess could change her mind, the girl pulled the girl closer and held firmly the princess' both hands.

 

"I promise to be your friend from now on, Princess Savannah" Yoona looked directly to her eyes. The princess saw compassion and love that were directly pointing at her.

 

Unknowingly to her, Yoona was slowly removing the gloves from her hands. She noticed it when she felt something warm. She looked at it and her eyes widen.

 

"NO!!" She shouted looking at Yoona for any sign of pain.

 

But the girl was sheepishly smiled at her.

 

"H-how are you touching me without being dead on the spot?" The princess asked surprised.

 

"Isn't it nice to feel the warmth of the other person?" Yoona asked.

 

The princess nodded still shock.

 

Yoona hugged the girl then.

 

"You won't feel lonely because of your power anymore" Yoona whispered in her ear.

 

Yoona then explained that her power can negate another person's ability. Thus, the princess' power was not affecting her because Yoona was negating it.

 

And so, the two became instant friends.

 

Whenever the girl's family visited the palace, Savannah immediately run off towards the main room where she would always see Yoona smiling while approaching her.

 

The only person who she can call her only friend, the person who was the most important for her. The person who taught her that she mattered not because of her status but because of herself.

 

------

 

Savannah smiled while leaning her head on her hand as her her arm was resting on the side of the car.

The car then stopped and the engine was turned off.

 

"You seem to have a good dream, dear Savannah" her uncle stated amused.

 

"Of course, indeed I can't wait to see her again uncle" Savannah said.

 

Her uncle chuckled with no humor.

 

"Well, we are here now" he said as he step out from the car and the princess followed.

 

“Welcome to the PSA Korea Princess Savannah"

 

It was at the middle of the night when the teachers, administrators bowed down to her in 90 degrees showing respect.

 

Savannah smiled as she walked and acknowledged them.

 

She was about to open to ask something.

 

"The building on your right. Room 350" her Uncle Jisoo said wondering how he would know but then as he looked the man, the principal named Lee Min Woo as she remembered being introduced by her uncle.

 

She then nodded and walked past the other people who welcomed her.

 

She couldn't wait to see Yoona. She enter the building her right and immediately went up the third floor and was about to turn to the right where she assumed Yoona's room. She then halted her steps when she saw the admiral's daughter standing in front of the open door and saw Yoona talking to her smiling.

 

As Yoona closed the door, Yuri leaned on the door looking hurt whispering something before walking out on the opposite direction of the princess.

 

Seeing how the two got closed without her knowing made her mad. She clenched her fist hoping that her anger would temporarily vanish as she walked slowly in front of Yoona’s room.

 

She knocked slowly and when she could hear footsteps getting louder towards the door. The princess got excited and when Yoona opened the door, her smile grew wider.

 

“Unnie? What are you doing here?” Yoona asked surprised to see the princess in front of her room.

 

“Arent you going to invite me in?” The princess playfully asked.

 

Yoona furrowed her eyebrows in confusion but nonetheless, invited her unnie inside.

 

Savannah entered noticing how small the room was especially for her Yoona.

 

“Your room is small” she stated.

 

“It’s ok. I really don’t mind the size of my room” Yoona said as she closed the door and locked it.

 

Savanna turned to face Yoona and immediately went to hug her making Yoona to have a few steps back because of the force.

 

“I miss you”

 

To be continued.

Hey guys  really thank you for the comments you are giving me. I really enjoyed reading your thoughts about the chapter. Sorry for being such a tease but I know you can't wait for Yoona's memories to comeback but please bear for awhile as that will be the of the story (spoiler alert). Keep on voting and subscribing guys !! I realy appreaciate it.