Chapter 21: A Note Can Save Them (Part 1)

My First Love

*…* – whatever is in the note

~Siwon~

Siwon was sitting at the airport. He was in his black suit, black tie and white shirt and his black shoes were polished and shining in the light. His hair was combed neatly and his face wore a handsome look. He had his luggage beside him. It was 12:05 p.m.

Siwon’s parents refused to see their son off for the last time in many months. Instead of wishing him good wishes, they scolded him for taking the wrong decision of leaving Changmin for what the still-child said.

‘You are taking his words too seriously. He needs time and you should give him that. You were always impatient, but Siwon, don’t act like a child. At 27 years, I think you ought to understand the psychology of a recent adult. You are a doctor nonetheless.’

Those were his father’s words which now rang in his mind. Was he mistaken after all?

“Choi Siwon-sshi.”

Siwon jumped at the seemingly unknown voice behind him. But it wasn’t unknown: It was the Korean neurologist who worked in USA, an identity he would be taking in a few hours as well. This man of nearly 50 years had received a long-wanted vacation and it seemed his vacation ended today, because this man was appointed by Mr Solomon to Siwon. Siwon couldn’t imagine how extremely lucky he was.

“Lee EunHyuk-sshi.” Siwon bowed. “An honour to meet you,” he shook hands.

“Same to you. The doctors there have fallen in love with you!” he joked. Siwon gave a hesitant smile. ‘Only if Changmin was the one who fell in love with me…’

“Siwon-sshi, I think you should submit your luggage now. They’ve begun taking them.”

“Uhh, yes…perhaps I should…”

Truth was, Siwon still had time, and he didn’t want to give his luggage right now. What if Changmin, just what if, he came to him and hugged him and forbade him to leave? He couldn’t take a risk no matter what.

“…or not. I can wait till the last minute…”

“Why?” the older man asked. “Why not now? It’s always safer in the beginning.”

“Yes sir, I know. I just…want to give it later…” he said unmindfully.

“Alright. Let’s sit.”

They sat down again.

Siwon looked at his watch again. It read 12:10 p.m.

~Changmin~

Changmin’s eye-lids seemed to have gotten heavier again. Using a lot of effort, he forced them open. He stared at his wall clock – 12:10 a.m.

“Oh God…” he moaned quietly.

When he tried to move his hands, he felt something paper-ish under his right palm. ‘A piece of paper?’

The first thing that hit him before ‘What’s a piece of paper doing under my palm?’ was that who put it there. He knew the door was locked. He knew he never slept with pieces of paper under his hand. Then someone must have gotten in from the open window on his left. Without sitting up, he took hold of the note. He rolled to his back and held the thing up in the air.

Finally the blurry image was sharp.

‘Siwon…’ he read at the bottom of the writings.

He jolted up, making his head spin. When he began reading, he felt energy gather in his long legs as if he was ready to make a run for.

*Dear Changmin,

I know it’s late, but I think you should know the content of this note. I thought you would figure it out by yourself, but you didn’t. At least, it didn’t seem so. Maybe I was wrong, maybe you ARE still young and most probably afraid. Still, I don’t think I can turn back now. But if you tell me, I will perhaps consider. Just so you know…

Changmin, do you still see me as a friend? Did you ever think of me as something a little more than a friend? …further in relationship? Or should I think that you still haven’t understood me, you haven’t recognised me?

I came back for you every time. I had come back from England to see you. I came back again from USA, just for you. Just for you. I thought you would realise it, but you didn’t. Furthermore, you told me to go back. Are you denying it, or do you really not care for me?

You think I don’t watch you closely when I laugh and talk with you? You touched my heart the first time. Maybe you don’t feel it, maybe you don’t WANT it, but when your friends won’t be there, you will find me – ever-known to you. I’ll always be there. I won’t cut off all connections, in case you ever need me.

You and I are together – but no. All that is only in my dreams, my imaginations. I know you still haven’t seen my true self. If you ever call me lovingly, I will definitely come back. IF…that ever happens…

No matter how much I try to forget you, or stay away from you, or give up on my feelings…they will never leave me, no one can take your place in my heart.

And one more thing: To me, Jung Changmin or Shim Changmin, it doesn’t matter. To me, YOU matter.

I love you.

Siwon*

Changmin was stupefied. What had he been doing? What was he scared of? Was he afraid that if they had a relationship, it wouldn’t last long? Why would he think so? Had he been blind to such an open love?

For a few more minutes, he just sat there with the note still in his hands. He stared at the words with big, unbelieving eyes. His puzzle of feelings were sorting themselves out.

Then he blushed. Siwon loves him… He held the note close to his chest and smiled. Waves of relief washed over him.

That’s when he remembered. Again, he looked at the clock. 12:20.

Every second mattered now.

Changmin opened his wardrobe like it was running away. Snatching a set of clothes, he prepared himself to go out within a minute. He washed his face in one splash and headed out. He slid down the staircase side which was much faster. No one was at home at this hour, so that was a bigger relief: no questions to be answered. Plus, no one would go to the airport either because everyone was so disappointed. They wouldn’t go even though they knew he was going for a good many years. Now was his chance. Now…or never.

He jumped onto his car, nice and shiny silver. Zooming out, he accelerated full speed towards the airport. Thank goodness today was a Sunday. No traffic.

~SiMin~

12:35.

“Alright Siwon-sshi. Let’s submit that luggage. We’ve delayed quite a bit, and any more wastage of time might cost you your boarding pass.”

Siwon slowly got up. “Yes…sir…” he said in a low voice.

Lee EunHyuk sighed. “I’ll go get your boarding pass because it seems some invisible energy is forcing you to go slow.” The man walked forward to the counter and began talking to the lady behind it for Siwon’s pass.

Just as he was about to step forward, he heard familiar running feet. With the last spark of hope, he whirled around. His lips, without perception, curved to a smile, eyes dilated with amazement, and that small light of hope enlarged. “Changmin…!” he whispered.

The younger boy stopped a few feet ahead of him and panted. Then he stood up straight and shyly smiled. All that running sure paid off.

Both Siwon and Changmin were smiling and waiting for the next move when Lee-sshi reached Siwon, holding his hand out. “Finally, your boarding pass.”

Changmin’s smile dropped immediately.

Siwon looked at Changmin in the eye: not only disappointment, but sorrow, grief and regret could be seen. And also some sparkling water which contained high hopes. These hopes shattered when Changmin saw the boarding pass to New York and now they would fall to the ground along with the tears.

Sending heartaches to Siwon who felt his knees weakening at the sight of the boy, Changmin blinked the fluid in his eyes away while looking down. He glanced at the crumpled note in his hand once more before plunging them into his pocket. While feeling shards of glass prick his already-bleeding heart, he wished he hadn’t been so…aggressive towards himself, or Siwon. If only he could rewind time, because now, he had finally understood himself, finally made a decision for life…

Deciding himself that there was no turning back and he really was too late, Changmin bowed a little while trying to gulp down that bulge in his throat.

Siwon, meanwhile, hadn’t managed to put himself together when his senior doctor came back with his pass to the plane.

He couldn’t help but curse that dangerous piece of paper, because he knew what Changmin would predict and draw a conclusion to it. He wished he could burn that horrible thing right there but then he remembered that this was no home. He was trying to decide what to do when he caught Changmin’s expectant-but-now-crushed sight. This horrified him. No. He wouldn’t let him pass again.

So what if he now had his boarding pass? Changmin came to him. That’s all that mattered. The minute he saw his love, he forgot everything else. At that moment, all that ran in his mind continuously was, ‘Changmin came to me! He loves me back!’

The second Changmin circled 180 degrees to leave, Siwon felt a massive amount of energy muster in him. He bolted towards him.

Before Lee-sshi could finish asking who that boy was, Siwon had already darted and almost reached the depressed man.

“CHANGMIN!”

He didn’t care who heard him or what they thought. All that mattered was Changmin, who didn’t have the time to stop, but was forced to rotate to face Siwon by the hand.

____________________________________________________________________

CLIFF HANGER xD

Yay! I loved the note lol. And they are now at the airport. What a pathetic love scene rofl. I just made a new spot for confession: airport.

So? What now? Stay tuned to find out!