Chapter 18: Long-Distance Relationship

My First Love

I CHANGED THE COVER PIC XD SO HAPPY XD

-Airport-

Siwon looked at his watch which read 6:35 p.m. He looked around.

‘Changmin, you never came when I was leaving for UK…you’re not coming this time either? How long will I wait? Are you not feeling anything for me? Don’t you want to wish me luck? Won’t you say goodbye?’

6:40…
6:45…
6:50…
6:55…
6:59…
7:00…

“Passengers for New York, may I have your attention please? Gate 6A is now opened.”

That was the notice just now. ‘Changmin…’

He looked back one last time. Absolutely disappointed, he turned around and headed for the plane. The tunnel leading to the plane’s door seemed unusually long. He stopped every 5 seconds to turn around, still a pinch of hope in his heart. He finally gave the boarding pass. The hostess smiled and said, “Good evening, sir. We hope you have a good ride.” … He didn’t hear that. All that rang in his mind was Changmin’s voice: “Uh, hyung, I have some studying to do now so I need to go, bye.”

Was Changmin holding back the tears? Does that mean Changmin felt for him? But then shouldn’t he have come to say goodbye at the airport? Did it break him to pieces when he first heard about him leaving? …Or was this all his imagination…

The plane was high in the air when Siwon began to think this was a wrong idea. But how else could he pursue his dreams to be a complete neurosurgeon? Plus, he wasn’t planning to settle there. Then he remembered: UK was also supposed to be a short visit…but he ended up spending 6 years there. What if this time too…

‘NO! No Siwon…absolutely not,’ he told himself. ‘At that time, you thought Changmin was just cute. You didn’t notice the feelings growing inside because you thought this feeling was something you sensed only because you loved him like a little brother. At that time he was only 13…so it was natural for you to not even bring the word ‘love’ in your mind for him…this kind of ‘love’. But then you realised it; especially when HeeChul showed you a picture of 18-year-old Changmin from Yunho’s profile picture in his email account two years ago. It wasn’t his looks that attracted you. Somehow, Changmin managed to show who he really was. You fell in love and decided to come back for him, and try to find out his feelings too. You were glad when you got to know that he didn’t have any girlfriends. You knew this was your chance. But here you are pursuing your own dreams, leaving behind the one you love. No Siwon, you will go back to Changmin no matter what.’

Siwon was not going to stay there. But what he had said over the phone was somehow the harsh truth: no one knows what will make you take different decisions under circumstances in the future.

Changmin’s POV

He left… He really left…

He took out his phone from his pocket. He was sitting on his bed again, thinking about Siwon. He searched in his inbox for the last SMS he got: Changmin, be there at the airport. I’ll wait, like last time.

‘Yes, you probably waited for me,’ Changmin thought, ‘but I didn’t go. If you want to pursue your dreams, go right ahead. Don’t look back…especially for a mere friend.’

He bit his lip. ‘Don’t cry Changmin – not for something you’ll never ever get. If you were to get him, he wouldn’t have left again. He would have stayed. But he left, which means he never belonged to you anyway. And you are a man! Men don’t cry…’

He walked to the bathroom in furious steps. He slammed the door shut. ‘Why does my life have to be so damn DRAMATIC??!??!!!’

With one swish of the arm, he dropped everything on the large basin. They crashed to the floor, some damaged, others intact. Looking up at the mirror, Changmin saw a miserable, ‘pathetic’ in his language, and broken image of a man who sought love but failed. He was about to shatter the mirror because of his wrath towards life when Yunho barged in and stopped him.

“Changmin! What are you doing?!”

It was a mad situation.

He pulled his ferocious brother back and pushed him on the couch where he fell without resisting.

Jaejoong sighed, then looked at him, “You are supposed to rest now, don’t you know?”

Changmin noticed Jaejoong, “If Yunho left you after 6 years again and it was obvious that he felt nothing for you, would you rest?”

Jaejoong sighed again. “Don’t say his name like that. He is your hyung.”

Yunho pulled his lover towards the door, “He’s angry now. Don’t aggravate him. And he doesn’t care about respect when he’s angry, so let’s just leave him alone until he calms down,” he whispered.

Jaejoong ceased right then, “What if he breaks something again?”

Yunho pulled him again, “He won’t. He already went through that phase, and we can clean that later. He’s just sickened about the fact that Siwon-hyung took flight again.” He closed his eyes. “I don’t know what’ll happen to that boy.”

Jaejoong said, “I know he’s sad. But we can’t just leave him alone like that. He needs consolation.”

At this point, Changmin shot up from the couch, “Do you think he’s ashamed of me and my past and reality and wants to stay away?”

Jaejoong raised an eyebrow at him, “Changmin, don’t you remember what he told you that day? He was mighty glad you came along.”

“He lied. He always lies.” Changmin was breathing heavily and faster again.

Jaejoong was going to say something when Appa and Umma came in. “What happened?” they asked.

Yunho pushed them out while Jaejoong pushed Changmin down again. “Listen, you’re just being pessimistic. You’re looking down on yourself as well, which you shouldn’t.” He held up his hands in defence when Changmin was about to interrupt, “I know I used to be like that,” and Changmin calmed down, “but I was wrong, and you are too. He doesn’t care about your past. He cares about your present. You’re only looking at the unreasonable, dark side of the situation and what MAY happen. But you’re not looking at things that DID happen and something reasonable, that can bring you hope. Didn’t Siwon say he waited for you that day? Didn’t he say he was going to wait today? Didn’t he save you with his blood? Didn’t he want to spend time with you and also talk on the phone? What about things that did happen Changmin…”

With that, he left.

~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~

Someone was shaking him. Changmin, annoyed first thing in the morning or whatever the time was when he was forced to wake up, used all his energy on trying to open those heavy, stubborn eyelids which refused to open. With a lot of hard work and some time, he finally opened them and looked at the person in front of him.

Yoochun was shaking him madly. Changmin shouted, “WHAT?!”

“Oh, you finally woke up!” he said in a cheerful voice. “You don’t have university today?”

“No…” he rubbed his eyes. “What’s the time?” he asked sleepily.

“Almost 10 in the morning. Siwon-hyung has safely reached New York from Seoul.”

“Oh,” he said after a pause of 10 seconds. “Good.”

“Good?” Yoochun asked, most disappointed. “Won’t you call and find out how he is or at least cheer him on?”

Changmin stared at him. “No.”

Yoochun fished for his phone and, finally finding it, he shoved it towards the younger man’s face. “Call, I say.”

“No,” he repeated.

Yoochun pressed ‘call’ for him. Changmin waved his hands ‘no’ but he didn’t care.

“Hello?” Siwon’s voice…

“Uh…Siwon-hyung…” Changmin stuttered.

“Changmin! You called! I thought you wouldn’t…why didn’t you come yesterday? I was waiting…”

He looked at Yoochun who was leaving his room, “Uh…I wasn’t feeling well…”

“What?!” Siwon gasped. “Are you still feeling bad? I knew I shouldn’t have come this early. I should have waited a couple of months or so…now I’m not even there…!” he grumbled.

Changmin chuckled, “It’s not like that hyung…I’m fine now. Really. It’s just the studies…” he made excuses.

“I TOLD you NOT to go to the university so soon! Do you know how major and critical that accident was?”

“Oh God! Siwon-hyung can you stop worrying? I’m fine!” He finally gave up.

“Alright, if you say so,” Siwon said, finally under control. “My exams are next week. And then a practical one.”

“Oh…good luck then.” Changmin smiled.

“Thanks.”

“Did you reach your hotel yet?”

“No, I’m on my way…”

“Okay then. Bye.”

“Bye…and thanks for calling. I was hoping you would,” Siwon said, trying to tell him his feelings indirectly. But Changmin refused to see them.

~~~ ~~~ ~~~

Either Changmin or Siwon called everyday. Although it was a long way between them, Siwon tried his best to keep up with Changmin. And his exams finally barged into his room.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And they were done! Exams finished successfully within a week, he was free to go home with hopefully excellent results.

~Day of the Results~

“Great job Mr Choi Siwon.”

“Thank you sir.”

It was more than just successful. His results proved him worthy of a neurosurgeon. The main doctor of one of the greatest hospitals there was going to visit him today, the examiner informed him.

Siwon frowned, “Why?”

“Surprise. We can’t ruin it now can we?”

=~=

I know: I’m very dramatic :P 
Oh well. At least he’s done and over with USA business, but what’s the surprise?

^^

Comment please! And thanks for reading!