Jessica

Temporarily Yours

 

"How could you do this to me? I can't believe you were setting up this marriage thing behind my back!"

"Jessica, calm down."

 

Jessica gently pushed away the hands that tried to hold hers. Her eyes were filled with anger and disbelief as she gazed at her father's face, which seemed to look five times older due to the frown that he was wearing. In front of Jessica was a table where a piece of paper was resting on. But it wasn't just any paper, it was her marriage contract.

"How could I calm down? This is ridiculous." Jessica tried to fight back the tears that were making its way out of her eyes. "I know you never loved me, but you didn't have to sell me out like this."

"What are you talking about, of course I love you! I am your father. And I'm doing this not to sell you out, but because I know that this is good for you and for our family's business." Mr. Jung explained as gently as he could. But the longer Jessica looked at him she could sense the bit of guilt that he seemed to be having at the moment.

Jessica fought back her tears and it made her head ache. Her hands balled into fists as she tried to fight the urge to rip the paper into shreds. 

"You have to do this for the sake of our company Jessica. You have to this for me." Her father stated in a quiet yet firm voice. Jessica couldn;t believe how selfish he was. "Dongwook's a good man. I'd never let you marry him in the first place if I didn't think he was right for you." 

Jessica's hands suddenly slammed against the wooden table as she stood up. "That's not the point! Dad, I am not even in college yet but I'm already getting married! There are a lot of things that I still want to do and accomplish in my life! You can't just ruin in like that." She gritted her teeth when her father's expression remained emotionless. As if he didn't care how she was feeling. "And besides, why would I spend the rest of my life with a man I do not even love?"

"You will learn to love him in time." Mr. Jung suddenly said, voice loud and clear this time. "And you don't have to worry about college. You'll still attend a university normally as if nothing had changed. This is just a marriage contract, your life wouldn't change completely."

But Jessica wouldn't have it. 

"I don't care." She stated through gritted teeth. "I'll never say yes to this thing." She began to leave but her father caught her wrist and spun her around. She was met by his fierce glare, something that they both had in common in that exact moment.

"Jung Sooyeon!" Mr. Jung exclaimed in an angry tone. "How dare you disobey me. You can't say no to this, I already had an agreement with Mr. Lee and his son."

But his words were not welcome to Jessica's ears as she yanked her arm free from his grip. "That was your agreement! Not mine! I never said yes to anything!"

"Why can't you just do what I say! Why are you being so stubborn!" She thought at first that her father was going to throw a fit but after a few seconds he calmed down. He turned away from her and said in a soft whisper, "You're just like your mother." 

Jessica's fury had only increased.

"Don't you dare compare with me her." She exclaimed. "I hate you dad. I'll never say yes to this stupid marriage thing even if you beg me to." She then grabbed her things before leaving the room, not without slamming the door behind her.

*

It was a Monday morning, just another ordinary day at school. But unlike any other day, Jessica went to school looking like a total zombie that had dark circles around her eyes and her mood was unusually dead. 

She made it to the classroom and was immediately surrounded by her friends and acquintances once she plopped down on her seat.

"Hi Jessica! What's with the weird look today?"

"Are you sick? Don't you feel well?"

"You wanna hang out later? We'll try to lift your spirit up!"

"Don't fret Jessica, it doesn't look good on your beautiful face."

Shut up. Just shut the hell up and leave me alone. She wanted to yell at them. But she couldn't, for she had an image to uphold. Instead she decided to just focus her gaze at her desk and pretended to be deaf to her classmates' noises.

"Hey hey hey! Leave her alone!" Jessica's ears perked up at the familiar voice. "Make way for me you goons. Now get your butts out of here. Can't you see that you're all making it worse for her?" 

Her face brightened up at the sight of a short brunette making her way towards her. The unshed tears almost escaped through her eyes once her bestfriend stood in front of her and gave her that familiar smile which easily warmed her heart. Jessica could only smile back, but it was completely forced. 

"Sica-yah, what's the matter with you?" A hand gently cupped her cheek and a pair of warm brown eyes were staring into her own. "You look as if the world had turned its back on you. You know I hate seeing you like this."

Jessica bit her lip because it started to quiver. "T-Taeyeon-ah.."

Her bestfriend seemed to catch the idea because she suddenly grabbed Jessica's hand and dragged her out of the classroom.

*

"You're going to what?"

They were at the rooftop of the school, and the two of them were leaning against the metal railings. Jessica could feel the older girl's piercing stare on her and she knew that Taeyeon was waiting for an explanation.

"Dad said that I have to do it. It was for our company's sake." Jessica breathed out in a bitter tone. 

"Well, that is just stupid." Taeyeon kicked the pebbles with a pout on her lips. "I'd always looked up on your dad but I can't believe he can be absurd too. You can't just get married right away like this." She looked at Jessica and pouted even more. "What about me? I thought you always wanted to end up with me?"

The taller girl only laughed softly. She brought her hands on Taeyeon's shoulders and shot her a grin. "I can only wish you were right Tae. I wish I could marry you instead of him." Her eyebrows merged together as she frowned. "I totally hate my dad right now. I've been rejecting his calls and ignoring his messages since yesterday." 

"You should. I don't want you to get married." Taeyeon exclaimed as she wrapped an arm around Jessica protectively. "But seriously, are you not going to consider it?"

"Never." Jessica answered right away. 

Taeyeon nodded silently but then asked, "What are you planning to do then? You know you can't turn your back on your father forever." 

Jessica's shoulders dropped and a heavy sigh escaped her lips. She rubbed her temples and shook her head slowly. 

"To be honest, I don't really know Taeyeon." She could feel the tears making its way to her eyes but this time she did not stop them from coming out. Soon there were tears flowing down to her cheeks and Taeyeon gently wiped them away with her thumb. 

"Shh, it's okay. Everything's going to be okay." Taeyeon whispered against Jessica's ear after pulling her into an embrace. "We'll think of something. I promise you, I won't let this marriage happen. I'll think of a way to help you prevent it from happening."

Jessica could only nod in response. Her face was buried against the crook of Taeyeon's neck. 

She could only hope that her bestfriend would fulfill her promise.

*

It was their lunch break and as usual, Jessica occupied the large table at the center of the cafeteria along with her group of friends. All of them were laughing, chatting, and playing with each other except for Jessica. She had too much thoughts in her mind. 

"Hey guys check it out." One of her friends, the one named Sunny, exclaimed while pointing to the cafeteria doors that just opened. The girls all turned their heads and saw the figure that entered the place. "I can't believe she's actually here."

Although she wasn't in the mood, Jessica's curiousity got the best of her. She lifted her head up and landed her eyes upon the one girl that had sometimes been the talk of the campus. 

Yuri Kwon.

"Doesn't she usually have her lunch alone outside at the courtyard?" Hyoyeon questioned. "What's she doing here now?" 

"Maybe she wants to eat like everybody else?" Yoona answered sarcastically. Hyoyeon threw a piece of meatball at her forehead and the doe-eyed girl retorted by putting a piece of spaghetti strand on Hyoyeon's blonde hair. 

Sunny ignored their childish antics and continued on with her story. "It's such a shame actually. The first time I saw her I thought she was really hot but she turned out to be a real snob." She exclaimed with a pout. 

"Some say she's stuck up and arrogant." Sooyoung added after shoving a spoonful of mash potato inside . "It's a good thing she doesn't talk much."

Jessica continued to listen to their words with her eyes following Kwon Yuri as she asked the cafeteria lady for food. She took note of the grimace Yuri's face had made for a brief moment once a plate of spaghetti and meatballs was placed on her tray. 

Throughout her highschool life, Jessica never really paid much attention to this girl. Jessica was too busy with her own activities and overflowing popularity that she barely had time to notice this girl who always sat in a corner. But sometimes when she walks around the campus she could hear gossips and whispers about her and she couldn't help but be curious too.

After all, Kwon Yuri is the only person who doesn't adore or follow her even though she's the queen bee. 

*

Jessica had just finished cheerleading practice and she headed to the girls' locker room for a nice, cold bath. She was sweating all over and she couldn't wait to get out of her cheerleading uniform. As she headed inside the locker room, she noticed that it was empty due to the slight darkness and deafening silence.

She went over to her locker and hummed a little song while stripping off her clothing one by one. She then grabbed a towel and used it to wrap her . As she walked inside the shower room, she saw that the only light that was was at the very last cubicle. She went over that place and stepped in, not knowing that there was already someone inside.

"AH!"

"Oh my God!

She was greeted by a very unexpected and disturbing sight. There was Kwon Yuri, in all her glory, staring back at Jessica with wide eyes as she tried to cover every part of her skin with her two hands. 

"What do you think you're doing? Get out!"

"I-I'm sorry! I'm sorry!" Jessica stuttered as she tried to leave but out of her stupidity her foot slipped over a small puddle of water and she fell to the floor. 

With an aching , flustered cheeks and a piercing glare from Kwon Yuri at her back, Jessica left the shower room.

That was so embarassing! What do I do? 

Jessica sat down on one of the long chairs and stared at the floor. Her cheeks were still tainted pink, and she couldn't stop her hands from fiddling with each other. The shocked look on Yuri's face when she saw her kept on flashing in her mind. She tried shaking her head to clear her mind but it wouldn't work.

Just then she heard the shower turning off and she knew that the other person was done having her bath.

Oh my gosh. This is so going to be awkward.

Yuri had just stepped out in her new clothes, drying her hair with a towel. Her eyes met Jessica's and the shorter girl had to look away in order not to make things anymore awkward between them. She stood up and headed towards the shower room. As she passed by Yuri she muttered a soft apology and was about to enter the showering room when she heard a low and husky voice speak.

"I never knew the school's queen bee would be such a ert." 

Jessica turned around and faced her with raised eyebrows. "Excuse me?"

Yuri was looking at her with an emotionless face. "I don't know if you're stupid or ignorant, but I hope it wasn't intentional that you entered the cubicle I was in while I was taking a shower." 

"I don't mean to be rude, but I didn't know that there was someone else inside. I thought that I was alone." Jessica explained, although she did not know why she had to since everything just happened accidentally. "And I already said sorry so let it go." 

"Whatever." Yuri muttered as she turned around and started walking away.

Jessica stared at her back in disbelief. She had never encountered anyone speaking to her in that way. She was the school's queen bee and campus sweetheart, everybody loved and respected her. Even if she's the one at fault, people are the one apologizing to her.

But in this case, things are different. Kwon Yuri is different.

"Hey." Yuri's voice had snapped her out of her thoughts.

Jessica blinked and her eyes were as wide as the world once she saw Kwon Yuri picking up her underwear from the floor. A shade of pink made its way to her cheeks once more and she did not waste any more time from snatching her from the fingers of Kwon Yuri.

For a brief second, she thought she saw a smirk forming at the side of Yuri's lips but it quickly faded away as she spoke. 

"I hope you did not leave your underwear there intentionally for me to see and pick up." She raised an eyebrow at Jessica before leaving the room. 

Jessica was left alone with a flustered face and growing annoyance towards that certain woman.

*

A/N: Finished! Chapter three would be on Yuri's point of view. :) Stay tuned! Thank you to those who subscribed and commented! ^_^