Luhan, I'm Here For You

Luhan, I'm Smiling

After Yixing had calmed down and passed out from crying on the couch, Hao Yi quietly slipped outside of the apartment, with Luhan trailing quietly behind her. She walked slowly down the hall to her room and unlocked it, moving aside so Luhan could walk into the living room that had almost no furniture in it, and shut the door behind her.

 

She took a seat on the only couch next to the Chinese boy, not knowing where to start.

 

“How are you here if you died?” She asked quietly, staring down at her hands.

 

Luhan shrugged and leaned back on the couch, looking up to the ceiling.

 

“I know about as much as you do right now. Apparently, I have a mission to help somebody who can see me, and nobody else can see me besides you, which means you need help from me for something I know nothing about right now.”

 

Hao Yi looked at Luhan nervously. “I’m in danger?”

 

Luhan looked at her with uncertain eyes.

 

“I don’t know.”

 

Hao Yi sighed and leaned back as well, her eyes closed. If somebody was after her, she had no idea who it could be. Yixing told her that somebody had cut the brakes on the car Luhan had been in, but she had very little knowledge of Koreans that held any prejudice to Chinese natives. Sure, she had heard the whispers and seen the news of rumors, but she didn’t pay much mind to it.

 

“How are we supposed to figure out what it is that I need help with?” Hao Yi asked.

 

Luhan shrugged again, and the silence enveloped them.

 

“I just know that I can’t see Yixing like this. It’s been months, and he’s been tearing himself up over this. Constantly drinking, blaming himself, skipping work. Hell, I don’t even know if he has a job right now.”

 

Hao Yi looked at Luhan sadly and glanced towards the door, thinking about Yixing. “I may be able to see if I can get him a job with me at the café, that way we could both keep an eye on him, and we can figure out what this whole mission thing is about,” she said hesitantly.

 

Luhan thought for a moment and nodded. “That could work.”

 

“I just don’t understand. Have you looked into your case at all? I’m sure you could get the files or something since nobody can see you. Figure out what happened that night and if your brakes really were cut. Maybe that could give us an idea as to why you’re here for me.”

 

Luhan sighed. “I was trying not to do that.”

 

Hao Yi sat up and turned to the older man. “I know it may bring up some harsh memories, but if this could help us in any way, we need to know.”

 

Luhan sighed and stood up, pacing the small living room as he thought.

 

“Alright. We’ll need to get the newspaper articles out of Yixing’s room. I can check out the police files downtown and start tracing leads while you and Yixing are at work, and then you and I can reconvene and start figuring things out afterwards.”

 

Hao Yi nodded in agreement.

 

“To get those newspaper clippings out of Yixing’s room, you’re going to have to help him. Get him sober and better, healing, and help him move my things out. Keeping my door shut in the apartment is doing nothing for his mental health, and I can’t stand to see him hurt anymore.”

 

Hao Yi thought about it. “It’ll be hard, but we can start small. I like Yixing, and even though I don’t know him that well yet, I definitely don’t like seeing him like this.”

 

Luhan sighed heavily and sat on the couch, his head in his hands as he rubbed his temples, darkness creeping into the edge of his vision.

 

“I’m going to fade here pretty quickly, Hao Yi. I need to regain my strength, and I don’t know how long I’ll be gone for.”

 

Hao Yi nodded as she patted the angel’s back softly. “Don’t worry about anything, Luhan, I’m here for you, and I’m here for Yixing as well. I’ll get started on Yixing and getting him a job while you’re asleep.”

 

She looked over and realized she had said the final part to herself, and she was now alone in her small apartment, with nothing but her thoughts to keep her company. She sighed, unsure of where to start in this whole mess of things.