Luhan, How Do We Move On?

Luhan, I'm Smiling

Yixing woke with a pounding headache, barely able to move. The onslaught of bright sunlight was too much for his eyes, and he flinched, covering his bloodshot eyes with a hand, which caused even more pain to his throbbing head. He slowly opened his eyes and looked around his living room, or at least what used to look like his living room. Now, it was littered with broken furniture, glass, and countless bottles of soju. He slowly sat up, rubbing his temples, trying to ease the pounding of his head.

 

Once he had regained a bit of his balance, he stood slowly, holding onto the couch for leverage. Breathing heavily from the effort, he looked around quickly for Hao Yi. When he was met with no answer, he trudged to the bathroom to wash his face and brush his teeth. He could feel the grime on his teeth, and the smell of vomit on his breath was almost enough to cause his stomach to upturn again.

 

Once he had brushed his teeth quickly, he bent down to splash cold water on his face from the sink, and it hit him. The memories flooded his mind all at once, with so much force that he had to hold onto the edges of the sink to keep him from falling.

 

He remembered what happened to their café, the argument between himself and Hao Yi, the screaming and fighting.

 

“Oh god,” Yixing whispered, desperate to take back everything that was said and done. Distraught, he pushed himself away from the sink, staring at his image. Only, it wasn’t really him he was staring at. This version of Yixing had sunken cheeks and swollen eyes, with dark bags underneath. He didn’t recognize this version of himself, that got drunk and yelled at the people he loved, hurting them more than they ever deserved.

 

He rushed out of his apartment, ignoring the pain in his head, and ran to Hao Yi’s apartment, pounding on the door quickly.

 

“Hao Yi, please let me in! I need to talk to you!”

 

He waited a few moments, listening for any sign of life on the other side of the door. Banging furiously, he hollered once more for her, tears escaping his eyes. He laid his head on the door as sobs racked his body, and he slid down to the ground.

 

“I’m so sorry, Hao Yi, I’m so sorry.”

 

Hao Yi sat on the other side of the locked door on the ground, facing the door, frozen in place. She knew this would happen, but she couldn’t bring herself to face him quite yet. Her hand slowly floated towards the bruising on her upper arm, bright purple, the shape of a hand.

 

She looked towards Luhan, who leaned against the couch, his arms crossed. He felt her stare and looked at her empty eyes, giving a sad shake of his head. She wasn’t ready, not yet.

 

Yixing’s sobs quieted down, and they heard footsteps retreating quietly down the hall.

 

Hao Yi heaved a heavy sigh and got up from her spot on the floor, walking to take a seat at her dining room table, staring absently at the vase of roses seated in the middle. Even after just 24 hours, the flowers had already started to wilt, losing their color and leaving behind a scent of rotting.

 

“Luhan, how do we move on? From this, I mean.”

 

Luhan shook his head as he took a seat at the table across from her.

 

“I’m not sure. I haven’t known Yixing for too long of a time, but I do know that he isn’t the type to abuse others like this. You know you did go too far.”

 

Hao Yi hung her head in shame, a subtle nod the only agreeance that she would give the Chinese man.

 

“Either way, he’s still too emotional and you’re too hurt to deal with the situation just now. Give it a few days, let the bruise heal, and then I’ll come with you to talk to him.”

 

Luhan looked at the broken girl in front of him, so different from when he had first laid eyes on her. The light in her eyes had been replaced with hurt and fear, and she kept mindlessly rubbing the large bruise on her arm. He sighed and kept on.

 

“The man from the café, the one you spilled coffee on accidentally.”

 

Her head shot up, and terror flashed through her mind. “It’s him, isn’t it? The one who’s doing all this?”

 

“I think so. His name is Kim Dong Soo. Apparently, he’s spearheading a group intent on driving people like us out of this country, one way or another.”

 

Hao Yi shivered, knowing to what extent the Korean man would go. The proof was sitting right in front of her.

 

“So, what now? Do I go home? Do I stay with Yixing?”

 

Luhan shook his head. “I can’t make that decision for you. All I know is that it’s my job to keep you safe, one way or another. You’re my mission, and I plan on seeing it through to the end.”

 

The two sat in silence, not knowing what to say next.

 

Hao Yi was the first to move, standing from her seat slowly. “I think I need some sleep. Will you still be here when I wake up, Luhan?”

 

He nodded and gave her a reassuring smile.

 

“I promise.”