Leak

The Unsinkable

Leak: a hole in which contents may accidentally pass

 

“Stephanie Hwang Miyoung! Get your cute in here now!” Jessica demanded playfully.

She and Taeyeon had decided to talk to Tiffany, since she was the only one who knew, about what had happened between them and also Tiffany’s situation ahead of their scheduled recording session for the day. The two eldest members had also been rather desperate to spend some alone time with each other so they had been sneaking off to see each other the past few days, since their confessions, and they were pretty sure that Tiffany had noticed.

“Calm down, Jung Sooyeon. And you shouldn’t be looking at my cute now that you’re with TaeTae. Speaking of which, where is she?” the mushroom asked.

“Admiring your cute …” the kid leader laughed. “I had to get some stuff done.”

“Okay, can everyone stop obsessing over my tushy? And since no one is denying the fact that you two are a couple, I’m going to assume you both finally work things out?” Tiffany asked with a smirk on her face.

“I have no idea what you’re talking about,” the ice princess returned the banter.

“Don’t even try and deny that you two haven’t been having secret rendezvous doing god-knows-what. Wait, don’t tell me. I don’t want to know,” the younger American teased them.

Jessica wiggled her eyebrows. “Uhm, yeah you definitely don’t want to know.”

“I knew it. Tsk tsk. Bad TaengSic!” Tiffany shook her head.

“Yah! Jung Sica! Don’t drag my good name through the mud. I’m totally innocent,” Taeyeon interjected.

 “I think that ship sailed a while ago,” Jessica said, mocking her dork.

“Well then, I can just stop pretending.” Taeyeon walked over to Jessica, cupped her cheeks, tilted the latter’s head down and kissed her on the head.

“Ohmigod! My eyes!” the mushroom joked. “Get a room you guys.”

“I thought this was what that is,” the kid leader grinned devilishly.

“Ohmigod, now my ears are bleeding,” Tiffany sighed.

“Okay, okay. Sorry. And yes, we finally worked things out. And since you are the only one who knows at the moment, we just wanted to talk to you about it first,” Jessica told her.

“Look, I’m really happy for you guys. Really. I won’t say anything to anyone if you don’t want me to but to be honest, I’m pretty sure everyone knows,” Tiffany responded.

“What? How?” Taeyeon asked in surprise.

“Are you really wondering? Did you think that no one knows?” The mushroom was even more surprised.

“We didn’t even know…” Jessica replied.

“Well, I mean they don’t know what exactly the status is but everyone kind of knows something is going on,” Tiffany clarified.

“I think we should just keep things hush hush between us for now. I don’t want everyone to worry about having to deal with it. What do you think, Sica?” Taeyeon commented.

“I agree. For now let’s keep it between us. Oh, which reminds me, Soojungie knows,” the ice princess added.

“You told her?” the kid leader asked.

“Actually… she knew before I did…” Jessica explained.

Taeyeon’s face contorted into an expression of confusion. “Does EVERYONE know?”

“Uhm, it was pretty obvious but I’m quite impressed that Soojung noticed as well,” Tiffany answered.

“Yes, well my baby sister often knows me better than I know myself,” Jessica admitted.

Taeyeon nodded in agreement. “How is Soojung by the way? I haven’t seen her in a while.”

“She’s doing well, been busy. She just got back,” Jessica updated them on her sister. “Anyway enough about our side, what on earth is happening on your end Miyoung?”

“Hmmm? What do you mean?” Tiffany cleared slightly nervously.

Jessica crossed her arms and gave her fellow member a look that basically said “I’m not buying your act”. “You know exactly what I’m talking about. Your best friend refuses to tell me who it was but I totally caught you in bed with some girl. So who is she?”

Tiffany looked over at Taeyeon who shrugged and gave her an “I can’t help you there, buddy” look.

“Look, I don’t even know where we are really. She doesn’t quite want to give me a definite answer about being an official item,” the mushroom sighed.

“Oh, man… So Taeyeonie was right. You do have it bad. Seriously, who is this girl who has got our Fany wrapped around her finger?” the ice princess prodded her.

“I’m not even sure how I got here to be honest. I mean, it just happened and I didn’t even realize it until I was in too deep,” Tiffany elaborated.

Jessica and Taeyeon both laughed in amusement.

“It’s really not funny…” Tiffany glared at them.

“You want me to tell her?” Taeyeon asked.

“Wait. Is it within the group?” Jessica inquired.

Tiffany simply nodded.

“Ohmigod… That means…” Jessica thought about the possibilities and come to one conclusion. “Is it… Yul?”

Tiffany nodded without a word.

“No. Way.” Jessica was incredulous.

“It’s true. Unbelievable, isn’t it? But you know what Yul’s like. She’s a free bird,” Taeyeon confirmed Jessica’s suspicion.

“You guys, help me,” the mushroom cried. “I don’t know what to do.”

“Didn’t you talk to her about it the other night?” Taeyeon questioned.

“I started to but one thing led to another… Well let’s just say there wasn’t much room for talking,” Tiffany confessed shyly.

Taeyeon and Jessica sniggered to themselves and then proceeded to tease the youngest of the three with fake kissing noises and pretended to make out.

“Okay, okay. You’ve had your laugh. If you guys aren’t going to help, then at least spill on how you two are doing. Is it awkward? And where on earth have you two been sneaking off to?”

“Actually, surprisingly enough, it hasn’t been too awkward. It was a maybe a little for like 2 seconds then we pretty much just went back to normal,” Taeyeon answered.

Jessica nodded. “It’s not so much awkwardness per se. It was more like we just realized how much we both know about each other so it’s like skipping ahead a few steps in the relationship. But it’s not a bad thing. Also there’s really not much sneaking around. She’s just been coming over, or we go for a drive, or just wander around quiet places. We’re just trying not to raise any alarms unnecessarily.”

“Didn’t you say Soojung is back? Does she hang around with the two of you?” Tiffany asked.

 “Yeah. I feel bad about that. Soojung is too nice. She’s been spending a lot of time with the other girls when I’m around,” Taeyeon admitted.

“I know, I feel like a bad sister,” the ice princess sighed. “Babe, if you don’t mind I’ll spend tomorrow with Soojungie. I think she has a free day tomorrow too.”

“Of course I don’t mind. You two have fun, okay?” Taeyeon gently caressed her girlfriend’s cheek.

“You are the best!” Jessica beamed, leaning slightly into her girl’s caress.

“Ugh, I’m so jealous. Look at you two being all lovey dovey,” Tiffany pouted.

“I’m so sorry. We’re being so inconsiderate,” Jessica apologized.

“Actually it’s so cute seeing you two like this but I can’t help but be jealous,” Tiffany explained.

“We’ll tone it down. Actually, I’ve got to go finish up some stuff. I’ll be back for recording. Don’t get too chummy with my girl,” Taeyeon warned her best friend playfully then pecked Jessica on the cheek before leaving.

“God, she’s so possessive.” Tiffany rolled her eyes.

“I know… Isn’t it great?” Jessica said dreamily.

“Oh, my girlfriend is ever so dreamy…” Tiffany teased Jessica.

“Oh, shush!” Jessica slapped the younger American’s arm playfully. “Hey, can I ask you a question?”

“Oh my… Are we getting serious now? Shoot.”

“Are you okay with this? I mean… I’m not stupid, I know you two had a thing. And I’m not sure what happened and what is going on but I want to make sure it’s okay with you because you’re hers and my best friend and I don’t want things to get complicated and I’m just worried that-”

“Jess, stop.” Tiffany placed her hands on Jessica’s shoulders as a way to reassure her. “You have nothing to worry about. Tae and I, we were over a long time ago and I’m really happy you two finally worked things out. But you know, we’ve been friends for so long, sometimes we just have no boundaries. I know you know what I mean. You and I are like that too. I’m not jealous about you and Tae being together. I’m just jealous because I want that too.”

The ice princess was still worried. “That’s kind of what Taeng has been telling me as well. It’s just that you two have so much history and I just don’t want things to get weird between us.”

“Oh please, you and Tae go way back too. In fact, there was a point where you were much closer to her than I was. Don’t tell me you’ve forgotten. Besides, I think the fact that Tae and I are still the way we are is because we’ve always been better just as friends. If either one of us still had feelings for the other, it would be totally awkward between us, don’t you think?” the mushroom reiterated.

“I guess you’re right. It’s actually ironic…”

“What is?”

“That I was actually the cause of why Taeng and I grew apart, although I kind of blamed in on her because I was angry.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well… I kind of saw how she was getting closer to you and I started pulling away from her but she didn’t notice and so we just kind of fell apart. Consequently, I blamed her for abandoning me.”

“You and Tae are both idiots.” Tiffany shook her head.

“Wow, thanks.”

“Well, you are! You two always just keep your feelings all bottled up. Tae’s probably worse than you are though. But hey, at least you guys finally worked things out and you’re passed all that now.”

“Oh God, how are we ever going to make this work?” Jessica laughed nervously.

“You’ll be fine. Just don’t be idiots. Okay so tell me, what actually happened? I mean, Tae told me she kissed you? Twice…”

“Yeah… Long story short, I kind of blew up on her and I said some pretty incoherent things to her and the next thing I knew she kissed me. It got complicated. The next day, they day you guys helped me move, she kissed me again. It was when we went missing.  I kind of gave her mixed signals and I just wasn’t sure so I pushed her away again. But then I realized that I had made a mistake and I realized how blind and stupid I had been and I was going to confess but then she laid it all out on the table for me and I couldn’t deny it any longer.”

“The stuff of great romances right there,” the eye-smiling girl laughed.

“Shush, you! Well, it was definitely something else,” the ice princess giggled. “Okay, now your turn.”

“What about me?”

“You and Kwon. I need details, woman. By the way, when did you get so into girls? I vividly remember you being boy-crazy at one point.”

“Ohmigod, shut up! I wasn’t boy-crazy. I was just… an enthusiast. Anyway, after Tae and I decided to go back to being just friends, I started hanging out with Yul a lot more and then one day I realized that when she wasn’t around, it just wasn’t the same.”

“Wow… Wait, so she doesn’t know how you feel?”

“It’s complicated… but she knows. I mean at first we didn’t explicitly say what it was exactly we had but then I became sure that it wasn’t just fun that I wanted. But every time I try to bring it up, she doesn’t quite want to talk about it,” Tiffany sighed. “Same thing happened the last time I tried… and that was when you found us.”

“That’s definitely a real head scratcher. Maybe you should play hard to get instead.”

“Really?”

“No. Don’t listen to me. It’s what got me into this mess in the first place.”

“I swear though, there are moments when I’m so sure that she wants something more and that she feels the same way I do… Or maybe it’s just wishful thinking. Ugh, it’s driving me crazy.”

“Okay look, could it be possible that you’re both terrified? I mean, I know you say that you’ve been trying to tell her what you want but you seem to get sidetracked each time. Maybe you’re scared that she would say no and then things will get awkward. And maybe she changes the subject each time that you try is because she already knows and she’s afraid of what comes with the admission.”

“Could it? I don’t know.”

“Steph, if you really think that you want to make it work, then I think you have to make her listen no matter what. Do you want to drag this out?”

Tiffany took a moment to think about what they’ve been talking about.

“You know, Tae and I had this same conversation too. I thought I had my mind made up but I guess I’m still totally terrified.”

“You think I wasn’t completely quaking in my shorts at the thought that I actually had feelings for that stupid dork but that I had possibly messed it all up and also how complicated things are?”

“Then… how did you get over it?”

“I just realized… that dork means more to me than anything and if I didn’t lay it all out, I’d probably regret it… more than if I were to get my heartbroken.”

“You’re really in love with Tae aren’t you?”

“Yeah… I think I might be… Ugh…” Jessica rolled her eyes as a joke.

“It’s okay, it’ll be our secret. I don’t think she knows and I won’t tell her.”

“Let me ask you, do you really think that the others already know? I mean have we been that obvious considering we ourselves have been completely oblivious?”

“Like I said earlier, probably not what the exact status is but everyone knew something was going on. And you know that sooner or later we all will know even if no one says anything. It’s unavoidable. Are you worried? I mean, of what the others will think?”

“Well… yes and no. I’m not worried that their opinion will change how I feel about Taeyeonie but I am afraid of what would happen if anyone is against our relationship. You know that the group is my family and you guys mean a lot to me so how can I even choose if I have to? I don’t even know where Taeyeonie stands on this issue. I don’t know, am I being overly paranoid?”

“Personally, yes I think you are. However, I do understand where you are coming from. All I can say is have faith in the strength of our bond as a group. I’m sure if there are any problems, we can work it out somehow. Hey you’ve got my vote, so that’s one down. Look, if you’re going to keep worrying, how are you going to enjoy your time with her, am I right? I know I’m right.”

“Ugh, I hate you.” Jessica crossed her arms and shook her head.

“I love you too,” Tiffany replied smugly.

“Did I walk in on something?” a familiar mellow voice intruded upon the conversation.

The two girls had not noticed but one of their fellow members had arrived and had overheard just a little bit of their conversation. It was the last person Tiffany had wanted to walk in on them.

“Hey… Yul…” Tiffany greeted nervously.

“Yuri-ah. Good timing! You’re just who we wanted to see,” Jessica smirked and nudged the other American.

“Really? Why? Is something wrong?” Yuri asked, somewhat surprised.

The mushroom elbowed the ice princess subtly and whispered, “What are you doing?”

“Look, here’s your chance,” Jessica whispered back then turned to Yuri. “Actually I need to use the bathroom. I’ll be right back.”

“Yah!” Tiffany called after her but she was gone in a blink of the eye. “The one time she moves that quickly…” she mumbled to herself.

“So, why were you guys looking for me?” Yuri tossed her hair back with a flick of her wrist, her beauty almost giving Tiffany a cardiac arrest.

Tiffany took a deep breath to gather up her courage to talk to Yuri about her predicament but she was beyond anxious.

“Uhm… I uhm… Why are you here so early?” Tiffany tried diverting Yuri’s attention.

“I was on a lunch date close by so I just came straight here. Question is what are you doing here with Sica?” Yuri questioned back.

“A lunch date? With whom?” Tiffany asked even though she did not think the answer would change how she felt about it.

“Does it matter?” Yuri’s voice was soft, teasing the American without even realizing it.

“No, I guess not,” Tiffany huffed, obviously a little agitated.

Yuri could tell that Tiffany was in fact upset by what she had said and was a little amused. She walked towards Tiffany in hopes to give her friend and fellow member a hug but to her surprise, Tiffany started moving backwards away from her.

“What’s wrong Fany?” The black pearl frowned.

Tiffany was obviously jealous but she was adamant about not letting on. She just shook her head. “Nothing.”

Yuri knew Tiffany better than to just let her off with such an obvious lie so she pressed on. “Oh come on, babe. I know something is wrong.”

“Don’t call me that. And if you’re so smart then you should know what is wrong,” Tiffany scoffed.

Yuri sighed. She was not a fan of conflict and she surely did not want to start one. However, she did not appreciate the fact that Tiffany was mad at her for something so meaningless. She was not oblivious, she knew why Tiffany was upset but she felt that sometimes it was better to feign ignorance. But since Tiffany was being stubborn, Yuri did not want to give in either so she continued moving towards the American whilst the American kept retreating until, that is, the wall got in the way.

“My lunch date was with Vivian,” Yuri explained when she finally cornered Tiffany against the wall.

Tiffany finally calmed down and looked straight at Yuri. “Vivian? As in…”

“Vivian, my cousin, Vivian,” the younger girl replied with a serious expression. “Why are you so worked up about something so insignificant?”

Tiffany knew Yuri was right. She was indeed being overly emotional and there was no denying it to herself, she was jealous.

“Yul… what am I to you?” Tiffany asked in a small voice. She was not entirely convinced that it was the best time to ask but she did anyway.

It had caught Yuri by surprise, leaving her at a loss for words.

Tiffany waited for an answer but she did not get one.

“Forget it.” The usually cheerful girl pushed her friend aside in an attempt to get away.

However, Yuri grabbed Tiffany’s arm, not letting her go. “Fany-ah…”

“Just forget it, Yuri,” Tiffany repeated then lowered her voice to a whisper. “I’m obviously barking up the wrong tree.”

“Hwang Miyoung, can you please just give me a minute to get my thoughts together? It’s not like I haven’t thought about it but I wasn’t quite ready to give you an answer either. I know what you’ve been wanting to ask me but I just don’t know if I can give you what you want from me.”

“Am I… asking that much of you? I am, aren’t I? Then let’s just forget about it before this gets awkward. It’s not good for the group.”

“No. It’s not that you are asking a lot. I’m just… afraid. You know me, you know what I’m like. I don’t want to hurt you so I don’t want to make any promises. But… I do… love you, Fany-ah. You know I do. Did you even realize that I’ve actually stopped seeing anyone since we started…? You haven’t have you? Everyone I’ve been meeting up with is platonic. There. I said it. I’m in love with you, you stupid mushroom. Don’t you even realize? I just don’t think I’m right for you. I’m scared I’ll hurt you. I don’t know what all this means. I’m sorry I can’t give you any definite answers. So what will you have me do? You want to go back to just being friends? Members? Sisters? I don’t understand why it’s important to define what we are. Isn’t it enough that you have me? You know I don’t like to argue, Fany, so I think perhaps you’re right. Maybe we should just call it a day.”

Tiffany needed a moment to let what Yuri had said sink in. She was so busy worrying about her own feelings that she had not realized or even considered Yuri’s. Now that the younger girl had made her side of the story clear, Tiffany felt like an idiot. A completely self-absorbed idiot.

“Y-Yuri-ah…” Tiffany reached out and caressed Yuri’s cheek. “I’m sorry. I didn’t even consider your feelings. I’m sorry I was so selfish. I didn’t realize any of it. I-I don’t really know what else to say. I’m such an idiot.”

“Yeah, you are an idiot,” Yuri could help but smile softly. She could never stay mad at Tiffany even if she wanted to.

“So where are we? Where do we go from here? Are we going back to the simple life?”

“I might really feel something for you, Fany. I would like for us to see where this really goes but I’m not one to rush into anything. I can’t promise you anything except that I will be honest and that I love you. That’s it…”

“I thought I needed more from you but… I think that’s enough for me for now. I don’t think we need to jump in the deep end either. That’s not really what I wanted. I just… I didn’t want to be just someone you have fun with when you are bored and then fine someone else when you’re done with me.”

Yuri gently poked Tiffany on the head. “You silly woman! I may have been like that before, but I would never treat you that way. You mean more to me than that. And besides I always made it clear to the others that I never wanted anything serious. But when we started, I stopped all that because I didn’t want to hurt you that way and also… I did think that this might actually be something more serious.”

“Really? I feel so stupid right now. I should have known you would never treat me that way…” Tiffany bowed her head apologetically.

“Well, you can always make it up to me now.” Yuri smirked.

“Oh? How?”

Yuri tapped her index finger on her lips.

“Yah! The others will be here soon,” Tiffany protested.

“Then do it quick.”

Tiffany quickly scanned the room and proceeded to lean in but then she remembered something.

“Oh, in the interest of being honest, I should really tell you something.”

“What is it?” Yuri asked unsuspectingly.

“Tae and Jess knows about us,” Tiffany answered, feeling a little guilty that she had revealed their secret.

“WHAT?!”

Tiffany put her hand over Yuri’s mouth to muffle her exclamation.

“I needed advice, so I went to them. Don’t worry, they’re cool about it,” she explained.

Yuri had her own confession to make. “Hmmm… In that case, I should tell you something too.”

“Yes…?”

“I… actually had to talk to someone as well… so… I went to Yoongie… and Soo,” Yuri admitted.

Tiffany burst into laughter. “Okay, great so only three left.”

“Okay, but let’s tell those three together, yes?”

Tiffany nodded. “Deal.” Then she leaned in and gently kissed the girl she loved.