Chapter 8

Silencio Bella

Silencio Bella

Strangers

 

"Time secludes itself from reality. Creating a void within space that caused the inevitable to prosper. A play that fate had come back to play."

 


“Who are you?”

Those were his words. Kris couldn’t explain what he felt when he heard those words. Truth to be told, the first time he heard the younger’s voice, Kris felt his heart is going to burst from the indescribable emotion he felt. He could feel tears starting to well up in his eyes when he heard him speak—the way the younger spoke in a strong and cold manner, yet the soft fluidity of shyness could be detected within it.

He was supposed to be happy, in joy that finally Tao is back and all thoughts of reasons why Tao left him dissipates in a matter of seconds. He was supposed to hug Tao and kiss him to tell him how much he missed him, how much he longed to see his face and feel his warmth and tell him how much he loves him. It was supposed to happen, but the next words that followed brought to an abrupt halt to everything Kris was supposed to do like trying to escape a burning house, but there were several falling and burning debris that crashed down to the only exit and finally, everything seems hopeless.

“Huh?” He felt dumb, shocked and felt a piano fell on him that he could only utter was a simple and obvious response to a state of situation that is confusion. His mind went blank and when he stared at Tao’s eyes; he only saw were lifeless and empty ones. Cold realization begins to sink down through his malfunctioning brain and a freezing registration came into one conclusion that he wished that this whole thing was just simply a bad dream.

A horrible bad dream.

But, unfortunately, it wasn’t.

After saying his dumb response and a short meeting of gazes, Tao left him to join his parents and his business smile was plastered on his face as he talked to some officials, CEO and directors. It was devastating, to say at least. Muyeong had witnessed it all. From where Kris charged forth to the young heir after he went down the enormous and grandeur flight of stairs to the excitement that the oldest Wu had on his face when he caught sight of the young heir and the quick talks he uttered to the younger until the end where Kris’s face fell into a broken display of a doll and Tao leaving his side to entertain some other elites.

Muyeong had witnessed everything and he think he’s going to keep everything in the dark. He will pretend that he didn’t see anything. He will pretend that he didn’t see the young heir stealing some glances to Kris and he will pretend that he didn’t see some tears cascade down from Kris’s porcelain face, a broken look plastered on his face from the devastating realization that he just realized and left without a word. He will pretend and he will stay quiet, because he didn’t see anything.

A secret concealed to be kept forever and Muyeong decides to see how things will play after this. He left with a small smile on his face; broken shards of the wine glass that Kris made were neatly gone on the carpet as if nothing happened. Little, yet several wounds are noticeable on his fingertips and palm, but if someone would carefully observe the carpet, one could see the traces of sparkling, little shards on the carpet; meant to tell that there is still hope within the chaos.

“He doesn’t recognize me.”

“Byun Baekhyun. What brings your presence here in my class?” Mrs. Ahn, one of the company’s instrumentalist instructors, coldly asked and Baekhyun offers her an apologetic smile. Baekhyun could sight Ren and his fellow friends with a grin on their face behind Mrs. Ahn and it brings him some sort of relief.

The cluck of heels made Baekhyun refocus his attention to Mrs. Ahn and he made a 90 degrees bow and apologizes when Mrs. Ahn questioned to why she should accept him again in her class after being out for almost a week without informing anyone at all.

After several excuses and sputtering, Mrs. Ahn decides to let him off the hook and Baekhyun scurries off to his seat after thanking her. He nods his head to Ren and his friends and does his best to pay attention to Mrs. Ahn. It wasn’t really a typical class-class, but rather a practice since there is a grand event that is coming. Being out for five days, Baekhyun had picked himself up and he knows that he had a life to keep on track and Chanyeol is the last thing he had to be concerned of.

Or so he thought.

Mrs. Ahn had this bright smile on her face after she explained some keys and songs and everyone wonders what had gotten onto her because Mrs. Ahn doesn’t really smile that much and she only does when she applauds the choice of music and how it is played. Seeing her smile makes them quite nervous and somehow, Baekhyun feels fidgety on his seat for some reason.

 “Do you remember what I told you last 4 days ago?” Mrs. Ahn asked and the room was silent, unsure to what to say. Baekhyun furrows his eyebrows and nudged Ren on his side making the younger duck his head for Baekhyun to whisper to his ear for what he had to say.

“Did she tell you guys some news or something?”

“Yeah, but I don’t really recall that much. senpai. But from what I remember, Mrs. Ahn said something about the orchestra or like that,” he whispers back and Baekhyun nods his head, thinking that this is just the selection for the Grand Synchronicity II and it gives him some spark of excitement.

Baekhyun looks at Mrs. Ahn again and her smile was still up even though the class had practically given her a silence as an answer that meant that no one remembered what she had said last 4 days ago making Baekhyun amused.

“I’m sure you know that the Great Synchronicity II is quite close now and I’m sure you have been informed a month ago that the position for the maestro had been taken, right? Thu—“

“Mrs. Ahn, I’m sorry for interrupting you like this, but I would like to question why would the company hold an audition for the maestro for this important event? I mean, we are still young and I know this may serve as an experience for us, but why would the company make such a reckless decision? This is a world tour and making an audition for it…” Ren trailed off, and everyone in the room except for Mrs. Ahn was surprised by his words. No one dared to voice out their complaints to the company, even for the teachers and all and hearing Ren tell that the company made a reckless decision would eventually lead to trouble or worse, removed from the industry.

As for Mrs. Ahn, she was well composed and a quick smile formed on her lips, eyes crinkling into crescent moon. “You are correct, Ren. Why would the company hold such an audition for this important event? This is the reason why the company pulled back the audition. They have thought about the decision they made and instead chose someone from overseas. And this is the news that I wanted to tell you,” she responded with a cheeky smile. She moves towards the door and cracked the door open just enough for her head to poke outside.

“Please come in!” And she pulls the door open and what happens next made Baekhyun’s blood run cold. Who would have thought that things would end up this way?

Right there, standing in the doorway is Park Chanyeol.

Baekhyun froze in his seat and Ren sneaks a glance on him and worriedly looked at him. “Senpai? Are you okay?” But Baekhyun is too busy being caught up at the presence of Chanyeol. He noticed a young man behind him, slightly pushing him inside and stood beside him with a thin smile. Mrs. Ahn seemed to be well pleased by their presence and Baekhyun realized that either one of them is the maestro.

“Everyone, this is Park Chanyeol, the great young musician who won several competitions in USA and was given the title of ‘Musical Genius’. He has been chosen as the maestro for the Great Synchronicity II and Song Lucas, his right-hand or should I say secretary is here to join us ‘till the Great Synchronicity II,” Mrs. Ahn introduced them with glee and everyone looks at the guests with awe.

Lucas chuckled lightly at Mrs. Ahn’s way of introduction. “Ah, thank you for your kind words, Mrs. Ahn. But I would prefer the word ‘assistant’ rather than being Mr. Park’s right-hand man or secretary. You may call me simply as Lucas.”

“Is that so?” Mrs. Ahn tilted her head a bit to the side and Lucas nods his head with a small smile. “Well then, everyone please welcome Mr. Park and Lucas!”

It was silent for a moment, before loud cheers were heard inside the studio. Everyone applauded and practically gathered around the two guests, asking several questions except for one sole person who sat frozen on his seat. He couldn’t move neither his feet nor he could feel his body. He felt numb, petrified and shaken by this whole situation.

‘What is he doing here?’

‘Chanyeol’s the maestro?’

‘He will be staying with us? Then that means…’

“Baekhyun senpai?” Ren called out to him, voice laced with worry making Baekhyun snap out from his train of thoughts and dazedly look at Ren. “Senpai? Are you okay? You look pale.”

“Huh? Am I?” Baekhyun responded with a surprise look on his face, checking his temperature, but it seems fine for him. He laughs awkwardly and assures the younger male that he’s fine, somehow the fact that Chanyeol is here left his mind for a moment. Lucas calmly answers their questions while Mrs. Ahn decides to leave the studio to take a call and amidst to everything that is happening, a pair of eyes shifts to where Baekhyun and Ren were as they laugh about something.

Baekhyun pats the younger’s head and Ren grins at him childishly making the older grin back in response. “Let’s get some coffee later, hm? Sorry if I worried you, Ren,” Baekhyun sincerely apologized, but Ren shook his head and plastered a thin smile. Baekhyun felt uneasy all of a sudden, and slowly, he turns his head and unexpectedly meets up with his gaze.

A shiver runs down his spine.

‘What is this feeling?’

A pair of empty and cold eyes stared right back at him, almost as if ripping out his body to look at his very own soul, that the very thought frightened him a little bit. He breaks the eye contact first, arranging his music sheets quite clumsily that all of it fell on the floor. Letting out a groan, he crouches and hurriedly picks up his notes with Ren helping him.

While picking it all up, Baekhyun stopped what he was doing and turned his head to be met with no one’s gaze anymore. He feels empty all of a sudden and goes back in picking up his notes.

After awhile, Mrs. Ahn came back and dismissed them for the day before leading Chanyeol and Lucas out of the studio. Mostly of the people chatted about the two guests and the information they got, while some departed including Ren, Baekhyun and their friends. On the hallway, they talked about Chanyeol and Lucas.

“Can’t believe his older than me. I mean, he looks young, but when he spoke…man, I thought I was going to die.”

“Did you just turn into a girl?” one of the tallest out of their group looks at the man beside him with judging eyes and the latter widened his eyes in shock.

“What?! No! Look, I just can’t believe he looks young despite being older!”

“Guys…” Baekhyun trailed off and the two shut their mouth from bickering again, but shared a heated glare. Ren sighed beside him and Baekhyun looked exhausted that it brought an idea to Ren. The young Japanese male swings his arm around Baekhyun and looks behind him.

“But our dear Baekhyun senpai is still older, right?” he comments cheerfully and what he got as a response were fits of laughter. Baekhyun feels a migraine coming up and throws off the arm around his shoulder, showing how pissed he is and Ren just stares at him, confused.

Hope wipes off the imaginary tear on his eye for some dramatic effect, before commenting, “Ren. Another thing that Baekhyun hates other than the differences between heights is the age.”

“What do you mean? Isn’t it normal to check on the difference between the age?”

Seokjin, the one who’s second of the tallest besides Ren, gladly eases the confusion of their youngest. “Ren, Mr. Park defies the limit of beauty and age. Baekhyun, here, well, you do know he’s getting old, right?” And another fit of laughter explodes and Ren ends up getting more confused than before. Baekhyun grits his teeth, but doesn’t say anything, but instead his mind wanders off to what had happened back then.

‘Speaking of age…time…it has been only 3 years. How….what happened? What the hell is going on?’

Meanwhile, after a brief talk with Mrs. Ahn, Lucas and Chanyeol left the office. Chanyeol lets out a long sigh, loosening his tie along the way while Lucas chuckles at his action. Chanyeol glanced at his assistant, a frown appearing on his baby face.

“Lucas?”

“Haha, sorry Chan. I find it funny that once you’re alone, you take out that mask you wear and the reaction you make which I find is highly entertaining,” Lucas supplies the missing puzzle and the latter’s frown deepened by his words making Lucas grin.

“You’re mean, you know,” Chanyeol retorts childishly and Lucas ruffles his hair, much to the latter’s displeasure. Swatting his hand away, Chanyeol dismisses the conversation, taking a side step to be a bit closer to Lucas. Lucas, noticing his action, smiled before wordlessly took Chanyeol’s hand into his; lacing them quite perfectly. Feeling the seep of warmth from Lucas’s hand, Chanyeol lets out a sigh before an image appears on his head and he unconsciously whispers.

“Byun…Baek..hyun…”

Lucas turns his attention towards him. “Did you say something?”

Chanyeol shakes his head in response and Lucas squeezed his hand in comfort which Chanyeol responded with a small smile.  They walked together toward the empty hallway, towards the elevator to go home and Chanyeol feels cold.

‘Byun…Baekhyun?’

[Jongdae’s POV]

What will be the sky’s colour if it’s burned? Stars loses its place and they fall like shooting stars, but aren’t capable of granting wishes. Illusions. Lies. Fabrication. What will happen when the world goes dark? Will it dye with eternal blackness or would there be some tiny spark of light somewhere?

Where?

Where?

Where?

“Jongdae.”

I open my eye with someone calling my name, but I couldn’t see anything. It was pitch black and the only thing I could grasp on was air. There was no solid ground from where I’m lying down. I’m just frozen into mid-air. Am I dead, perhaps? What happened?

What am I missing?

I closed my eyes and tried to remember what happened. Nothing. There was nothing I could remember of. What was I doing?

“Jongdae. Wake up.”

I am awake. But I couldn’t see anything. Think, Jongdae. What were you doing? What was the last thing you were doing before you got here? What was it?

“A butterfly lost, you shall pay for the consequences. A cost for a way out. One is one.”

Loud, deafening and screeching voice echoes on the endless pitch of black and the sound of ringing bell tells another story. Like a call for an impending death for someone. A cost for a way out?

“A deal, then.” Whatever I got myself into; I know this is a nightmare. No matter what happens, I will get out of here. I don’t like to live here and I do know that I’m not going survive another second here. Blotches of white light appear from below and I found myself being able to move. They fly upwards and when one got close to me, I reached toward the small light and then black.

“Jongdae.”

A voice calls out and I slowly come to recognize who it was. ‘Kyungsoo?’

I slowly opened my eye and found myself staring at a familiar white painting and the smell of chemicals runs through my nose that it made my eyes water a bit. I looked at my side and found Kyungsoo hyung with a very worried look on his face and my eyes water with apology. Looking beside him was Minseok, a worried look on his face that slowly became relieved, yet the worry is still seen in his eyes and at the last was Jongin who had the same expression like Minseok.

I open my mouth, to tell my apology then all I hear from my voice was a hoarse, inaudible voice. Oh. Oh. That’s right. I remember now. I have no voice right now. I’m 37% capable of speaking, but I think I beg to differ. I guess 50%?

“Jongdae. Jongdae, are you okay?” Kyungsoo worriedly asked me as he took my hand and I could only stare at him. I could see tears well up in his eyes by my pathetic state. I feel so sorry for him for having a brother like me.

‘Leave me, Kyungsoo. You don’t need to stay with me. Just let me rot to death.’

I’m selfish, but I think it’s the first time I’m like this, aren’t I? I remained stoic outside, but in the inside I’m dying. I want to speak. I want to voice out my problems. I want to sing again. I want to utter a sound. Please, please.

Falling stars aren’t considered as shooting stars aren’t they?

The grip on my hand tightened and I moved my eye to stare at Kyungsoo’s wet cheeks. I remained numb and statue-like. Kyungsoo bursts into tears again and the warmth on my hand left and two different footsteps are heard and the sound of the door opening and Jongin calling out to Kyungsoo fades into nothing as the door shuts; leaving me all alone with Minseok as I stared at the empty spot that Kyungsoo once had taken.

Since when did I become so dead? From what I remember, the past few weeks, I’ve been in hysterics. Wait—that doesn’t sound right. It’s been almost 2 years since I became rebellious and hysteric or I could probably label as ‘crazy’. After finding out that I had lost one last thing that I considered as the most precious thing in my life; you could probably say I lost it.

I planned for a suicide actually, but unfortunately, some doctors namely Dr. Yunho and Dr. Changmin if I remember correctly stopped me before I could even execute it and put me into sleep. By the next day, I was quiet. I had reverted back to being the old Jongdae, but do I even have the right to have that title?

The old Jongdae died. The new Jongdae died. So where do I stand? I no longer existed and my soul has been shattered to pieces that it’s too hard to put it back anymore. I want to laugh, but I can’t. I want to cry, but I can’t. I’m no longer alive nor am I dead. I’m neither.

Careful touches of warmth covers my cold hand and I slowly shift my gaze to him. Minseok.

Kim Minseok.

Hyung.

Now that I properly look at him, I could see that he had completely changed a lot. His hair is quite long and unkempt. Face and body thin. There are deep eye bags and the once known colour of his face became oddly pale that I’m reminded of someone who is dead. His orbs, that I once loved, are no longer the same. The bright lights that shine in it are no longer big and burning with passion, but rather small and almost unnoticeable.

I’m sorry.

His warm hand slowly clasps with mine, trembling with nervous or fear? I stared at his face for awhile, before I attempted to sit, but unfortunately failed due to my legs. Minseok hyung helped me sit up and I could see how much he tries his hard to meet up with my level of expectation.

When I finally got on a comfortable position, he went back to his seat and clasped his hand with mine. This time, with slight confidence and I inwardly smiled at the effort.

“Are you okay?” he asks in his timid and small voice and my shattered heart cracks more under pressure because of it. I attempted a smile, but I couldn’t lift any muscle on my face as if it was designed that way and I just nodded in response.

He placed his other hand over our clasped ones; his body trembled as he leaned his forehead on our laced hands. “Thank you. Thank you so much, Jongdae. Thank you for sparing me,” he murmurs and I closed my eyes when I felt his body shook from crying, soft whimpers escapes and echoes in the four cornered room.

What am I doing?

I’m honestly confused with everything that had happened. I don’t know which one to believe. My life lost its meaning when I woke up last 3 years ago on the hospital bed. It was easy to figure it out actually. When I couldn’t feel my legs and noticed that half of my vision is missing; I already knew that my life was shattered enough that it’s unable to be put together again.

I was dead.

To say at least the past is something that time wouldn’t dare to go back, I wanted to. To change everything that happened, but this is no fairytale. This is life. This is reality. Not a fabricated dream to play with. And I wonder why I still continue to live?

I’ve led a dull, pathetic and horrible life for the past 3 years. The years before that were only full of pain and agony. Since when did I even taste a single ounce of happiness? Why am I still alive? Why am I still living?

I only brought pain. Nothing else and nothing more.

I have nothing to live for anymore. If I die, Kyungsoo wouldn’t be under pressure for the medical bills together with the help of Jongin. Minseok hyung would eventually move on and repair back his life and I…I would be forgotten and cease to exist in Earth just like that.

A thunder who grumbled along the sky and was never meant to be a lightning.

So let me die.

Let me die.

Please.

Please.

 

I’m already tired.

“Hyung! Kyungsoo hyung!” Jongin shouts as he chases after Kyungsoo through the hallway. Several patients and staffs of the hospital turned to look at the pair and Kyungsoo won’t stop. Jongin decides to shut his mouth and quickened his pace, eventually catching up with Kyungsoo and stops the older from running away.

‘God, he’s such a fast runner,’ Jongin thought for a moment, before shaking his head and looks at Kyungsoo only to find the older male crying. His heart broke from the sight and Jongin quietly leads him to somewhere quite secluded before enveloping the older into a hug.

“Hyung,” he murmurs quietly and Kyungsoo returns the embrace, gripping the latter’s shirt in response of his state. They silently stood on that position and Jongin the older’s back to comfort him and for some reason, it only made it worse.

Several minutes passed and Kyungsoo slowly pulled away from the embrace, sniffing a few times before messily wiping his tears away that lead to Jongin taking over and wipe the tears away from Kyungsoo’s red face. Swiping by the thumb, Jongin stares at Kyungsoo’s crestfallen look and he knew that Kyungsoo is once again suffering. He sighs and pulled the older into a hug again, tightening his hold a little bit to let the older know that he is here.

Through the tears, Kyungsoo seemed to get the message and he lets himself loose. He buries his head on Jongin’s chest, whimpering quietly and Jongin pats his back comfortingly. Quietly humming a song that his mother always used to him back then when he was still a child and Kyungsoo slowly calms down.

When minutes lost its rhythm, Jongin went to get some banana flavoured juice for the older and bottle water for himself. Kyungsoo still had tears on his face, but thankfully, the older had stopped crying and the tears were the remnants. They sat in silence on the stairs, quietly drinking their beverage before Kyungsoo decided to break it.

“I’m sorry,” he softly whispers, his voice hoarse and scratchy from the crying he did and Jongin could slightly detect the guilt buried within the words. He would have played it off, tell that it was nothing, but this time he couldn’t. There was guilt. But when did it not have one?

There was always guilt.

Jongin couldn’t match his thoughts with Kyungsoo. He can’t tell what the older is thinking, why he is apologizing, why he sounded so guilty over something he shouldn’t be and why he sounded so desperate. It was something that Jongin couldn’t find an answer for, no matter how much he analyzed and investigate; he can’t arrive in the solution—the answer.

No matter how hard he try, no matter how much he sacrifice; he will never know what is that something that lies so deep in Kyungsoo’s heart that can’t be excavated no matter what as if it was a treasure so precious that the dragon banished it to a place where no one will be able to find it.

A hopeless quest.

But Jongin doesn’t give up. No matter how much he hurt, no matter how much he need to sacrifice more; he will stay beside Kyungsoo’s side and offer what he could because there is something in his stomach that flutters whenever Kyungsoo calls his name or smile at him. That ‘thing’ that makes him feel so giddy and feel different than normal like making his heart beat in frantic rhythm; a play that he has no longer have control over.

If feeling will get involve, he will set it aside, because Kyungsoo’s well-being is what matters for now. He could deal with himself later. He should stay strong for the older, no matter how young he is and even intelligence can never bring him down. If fate decides to take brush and paint life more miserable than it is; Jongin would never cease from its existence; even when everything is monotone black and white, he will paint everything back to the way it was because life is too precious to waste away.

Jongin frowns, eyes swim with gentle approach and murmur of soothing warmth breaks the thin ice, “Hyung…”

“I’m so sorry for dragging you into this. I didn’t mean to…I…I just can’t help it. Jongdae…Jongdae…he…god, what do I do? What should I even do? Did you see the look in his eyes Jongin? He spoke death and he wanted death. But I’m selfish, Jongin. I can’t grant him that. He’s my only family and I don’t want to lose him. Not now or later. I’m not ready for it. Jongin, Jongin what should I do?” Kyungsoo sounded so tired and helpless that it poked a thorn on Jongin’s heart, making his chest tighten in pain that he couldn’t respond the right answer to him at all.

Placing the bottle on his side, Jongin carefully cups the older’s face, finding the latter’s eyes glisten with unshed tears and it makes Jongin want to keep him away from the world of pain and agony. Kyungsoo was messy, hair unkempt and face flushed in red stained with trails of little shards of tears on the cheeks previous occupants of snots trailing down from the nose; Kyungsoo looks so miserable.

But it didn’t stop the younger from looking at the older with warmth and comfort; the way he looks at Kyungsoo never changed. “Hey, hey, it’s okay. I know. I know. I saw it too, hyung. It’s fine to be selfish for once in your life. Though this is another life, but your desire is because of a cause that you don’t want to lose him and not to make him suffer. Sometimes, we may have the power to control things, but hyung; this is your brother that we are talking about. You grew up with him; saw how his life went on from all the years that passed,” Jongin utters gently for Kyungsoo to take in and the older whimpers in return; knowing too well where this is going.

“You may be selfish, but he’s selfish too. Did you ever think it was for you? I may say that it wasn’t the right decision, but hyung, you know. You know deep in your heart that you don’t want him to suffer again. Your desire to keep him clothed the greater meaning behind what you truly feel, because you wanted to be selfish and not be the kind person you are; even if it takes you to ruin someone’s life.” Jongin pulls him to a hug and he feels the hard grip on his shirt and he rocks their bodies to soothe the crying heart of the older.

“I don’t have the answer that you are looking for. You, yourself has the answer, Kyungsoo hyung. The only thing I could give to you is my support and shoulders to cry on and let you know that I’m here. When everything gets difficult and you couldn’t bear it any longer; you could always run to me. Your refuge. Your home. Because I won’t leave you no matter what, I will keep you warm when you are cold and be here whenever you need me. Sounds cheesy, but don’t worry hyung. Everything will turn out just fine.”

After telling his response (which was quite long), a soft whimper was heard at first and Jongin prepares himself for another round of crying, but then, he heard a light chuckle before he feels a weight pressed on his shoulder and he takes a look on the older, finding Kyungsoo with his forehead buried on his right shoulder who lets out a shuddered sigh.

No response was needed for Jongin to hear because he could perfectly understand with these small gestures what the older has to say. A smile slowly traces on his lips and he lets out a sigh as he continued to pat Kyungsoo’s back who had a small smile plastered on his face, heart welling up with warmth and affection.

To say that Kris wasn’t affected that much by what had happened was an understatement.

Kris couldn’t even describe what he felt after that incident. He couldn’t even bring himself to leave his own bed because reality was too painful that it had brought an unknowing plague on his world that his own world didn’t last even for a minute. It was too fast. Too swift and unnoticeable that Kris hated himself for not seeing this coming. He could have prepared himself. Tell his heart to shut out any false hope and not to feel so much pain from the electrifying rejection of acknowledgement that leads to a simple conclusion: Strangers.

It was too sudden and Kris thinks that he can’t do this. Locked up in his room for some days, now, he finally decided that he wouldn’t let things fall down this way. That he can’t let Tao have his way and if he have to force him to remember, he will.

Burning with determination to talk to Tao, Kris repaired back his world in a matter of two days and in no time; he got himself attached with the Huang’s, doing formal business and subtly tried his best to get close to their heir. It was formal. Business. And no feelings were attached. Security was down and Kris was already doing a proposal for the Huang’s to accept (and hopefully by his terms).

It wasn’t easy. It took several restraints for Kris not to neglect his responsibilities and know the difference that the line had created between his personal affairs and work. He had 3 mugs of coffee every morning, 2 in the afternoon and 4 in the evening; a total of 9 mugs in just 24 hours. He liked being on the drive, kept him from mourning over the fact that Tao doesn’t recognize him and work is a perfect distraction to everything, even love.

He didn’t force the younger to remember, in fact, he didn’t do anything except but work. There was no personal affairs attached, not even a speck of it stained that fact. Yet, Kris knows he had to sort this out sooner or later. This is just a pathetic excuse of healing for his heart, buying time when he doesn’t know he’s losing it quickly. Reckless and clumsy, Kris didn’t mind, because love shatters every control you have. It takes away your rational mind, feed you with delusional lies and finally conquering your weak heart.

And Kris was all of that.

Tuesday afternoon leaves Kris in sweat as he arrived in Luhan’s hotel, a black briefcase in his hand that contained several documents. As he arrived in the lobby, a familiar figure stops beside him and Kris’s eyes widen when he saw who it was.

“If someone will look for me, tell them I’m out. I’m out to meet my cousin,” he says with a smile, yet a slight panic was detected and Kris watches in shock and slowly the person beside him turns his head to meet his gaze; a slow recognition appearing on his face.

“Kris?”

“Sehun?!”

Their meeting was just a coincidence. They weren’t supposed to meet, but they did and a flaw stains the perfect play. In the lounge, Kris offers to get him some coffee, but Sehun politely declines. Looking at Sehun across from him, Kris frowns at the fact that Jongin didn’t mention this to him. Though he doesn’t personally know Sehun is, he is particularly fond of the younger that reminds him of both Minho and Baekhyun as one.

He received the news from Jongin after a month since Tao left him and was stunned while Jongin cried on his doorway with another fact that Chanyeol left them without a word. He remembered meeting Sehun when he bumped into Kyungsoo and Baekhyun while walking down to fetch Chanyeol and surprisingly, Jongin was on the same road, but was on the run and only greeted them without much a properly look. After parting ways and going back home late that night, Baekhyun told him that Sehun was Jongin’s cousin. And later, their paths often crossed each other and Kris considered Sehun as his friend.

Staring at Sehun, Kris noticed that the younger’s features changed a bit. His usual long hair grew longer and the normal dye of brunette changed into a lighter change. His physique became quite built and oddly enough, nothing else is different. But one thing he could see from the younger is that Sehun is different from before. His behaviour, personality and the way he brings himself. The timid, shy and quiet Sehun changed into a confident, mature and sociable one.

“You’ve changed a lot Sehun.” The words slipped off from his mouth and Kris knew it was too late to take it back, but the younger seems unfazed. A smile crosses his face.

“I get it a lot. You’ve changed also, hyung. Didn’t know that you’d take business,” the younger says with a hint of amusement and Kris thinks for a moment that he likes the old one better.

“Where were you all this time? You left without a word. Jongin…he didn’t leave the house for a month, you know,” Kris tells with a frown and the younger offers an apologetic smile.

“Sorry about that. It was sudden, I know. I was granted to finish my studies in US and I also had to accompany someone there. I’m not even supposed to be here yet, but I finished it in 3 years. Working hard every day. Day and night without complaints and passing every exam and demands with effort and ace. It wasn’t easy to live in another world without knowing their language, you know, especially when you’ve got both hands tied and a heart to heal and chain up,” Sehun responded with a sad expression, before he chuckles in a split of time.

“Regret no more, focus on the present. I’ve patched up with Jongin, so no worries hyung,” he paused before standing up and Kris stood up after, “As much I wanted to talk to you, I’ve got to go. Jongin’s probably waiting for me. What are you doing here, anyways?”

“I’m here for business,” he replies obviously and Sehun hums, but Kris knows that his answer wasn’t enough.

“Okay. I promise to treat you for lunch.”

“You better.” And Sehun gives him a cheeky smile before they parted ways. Sighing, he loosens his tie and proceeded to go to Luhan. Time be damned. He doesn’t care about it anymore. Luhan could wait forever and it would be an entertainment for him when he sees Luhan hysteric.

But that’s not the case this time.

He visibly paled when he barged in like it was nothing and the first thing his eyes landed on was a familiar raven hair. Tao. Kris wasn’t expecting the younger to be here. But what was surprising from that? Tao used to live in Luhan’s hotel and even assisted him in the business. The younger was already acquainted with Luhan from the start.

Frozen on his spot, Luhan spotted him and his eyes were blank that it caused a shiver to his spine. Luhan tore off his gaze from him and continued to chat with Tao, seemingly to catch up with the lost time. And Kris knew that he isn’t going to like this day at all. Forced to unfreeze himself, Kris aimlessly walked his way to them; his grip on his briefcase unknowingly too hard that Luhan noticed it.

“Pleasant surprise to see you here, Yifan,” Luhan greets him with a smile, feigning innocence and the corner of Kris’s lips twitches because of it. He returns the greeting and forced himself to meet up with Tao’s emotionless face. Heart aches in longing and Kris has to force himself to put up a straight face, because this is business. No personal affairs should be attached.

“It’s nice to see you here…Mr. Huang.” Forced. Stiff. Kris doesn’t know if this is right.

Surprisingly, Tao responded even with a cold, straight face. “Yes, it’s nice to see you too, Mr. Wu.”

And right after that, Tao stood up, brushing away imaginary dusts and bows to Luhan who had stood up after him. “Thank you for the tea, Mr. Lu. I’ll see you on Saturday for the negotiation. If you’ll excuse me.” And he left without word. Not even sparing a glance to Kris and the door shuts, making Kris flinch unceremoniously.

Luhan motions him to sit down and he does, but he was too lost at what had happened that Luhan had to slam his hands on the coffee table to snap Kris off from his reverie.

“Back to Earth?” Kris nods his head dazedly and Luhan sighed, muttering some words under his breath.

“Tao…does he remember you?” Kris asks, eyes filled with desperate answers. Luhan purses his lips into a thin line and solemnly nods his head. His breath hitches and Kris wonders why this is happening. Why Tao doesn’t only remember him? If he remembers the others, why isn’t he included in it?

“Kris, I don’t know the details to what had happened, but I suggest you to fix this up because I do not like this at all,” Luhan chides good-heartedly. Kris doesn’t answer, but rather stood up and leaves Luhan behind; forgetting what he has to do because a clouded mind ruins any rational thinking and Kris needs to think and sort this out.

Left behind, Luhan closes his eyes and feels a migraine coming up. Everything is pretty much ed up and he doesn’t even know where to start. He can’t even tell when the problem started…or was this supposed to happen? He doesn’t know and he doesn’t want to. His own problem had already weighed his shoulders and heart and he doesn’t need the burden of the world to add to his own problems.

你不能指望一个甘蔗的两端都是甜


A defiance of fate would be the trial for everyone.

And the verdict shall be handed down soon.


A/N: And I'm back. Sorry for the typos, I'll fix that later (hopefully)

Had to change three scenes till I'm satisfied and I came up with this. What the heck did I do?

Depressing. Depressing.

Oh well.

Let me hear your thoughts and let me see how you think the plot will go and what the ending will be.

I'm too tired for the colors so I'll do that later.

What Luhan said is a Chinese proverb; something I very like since back then.

"You can't expect both ends of a sugar cane are as sweet."

-Lu Han

A verdict...verdict...what do I smell? *smiles*

Will post the next chapter in a few days since I rewrote this one.

Okay then. C u~ XOXO