Chapter Seven

Something About December

The days soon turned to months. Chen and Seorin were still going out at night just to spend time together. Sometimes, they would just walk hand in hand in silence to enjoy the peaceful night. But since Chen is an idol, those days soon became rare. They would just have time mostly, once in a week. Even though she baby sits the twins, the boys are not in the dorm. Their manager got to know her as Joo In’s hired baby sitter rather than Chen’s girlfriend. It somehow hurt her but that’s the price of getting involved with a famous person.

 

One day, while she is on her duty as the cashier, her parent’s called her.

“Seorin-ah, please come back home. Your mother misses you so much,” her mother cried on the other line. Her mother had been ill for quite long. Something about her mother’s request made her doubtful of getting back home.

“Mom, if you would just insist me to marry that guy, then I would not get back in there,” she calmly replied.

“But that’s my only wish. Please,” her mother begged again.

“Mom, we had already talked about that. This is what I want, please just for once let me experience something like this,” she begged back, holding back tears.

It was her father’s voice which she heard next, “Seorin, you know we want the best for you. You just have to sacrifice a little bit of your own for the sake of your mother. Don’t act like that.”

She blinked, letting a tear fall, “I’ll think about it,” then she shuts off her phone.

 

The next day, it’s her time to baby sit the twins. Joo In had to leave for Europe because of her cousin’s wedding and offer to be their photographer. The boys were busy meeting their schedules and the twins were down with fever. She tends to them diligently, but the sight of sick people, especially children somehow scares her that she panicked when Andy began crying for his father. She tried to soothe him when her phone rang. It was Chen calling.

 

She ignored the first call and gets back to Andy. She was able to hush her down when Janine starts to felt nauseous that she had hard time helping her on the bathroom. While she is on Janine, her phone rang again same with Andy’s voice calling for his father. She was torn to where she would get first that she almost screamed in frustration. Instead, she calmed herself, helped Janine back to her bed, turns off her phone then get back to Andy.

 

It was around seven in the evening when the boys arrived. They found her sleeping between the twins bed. Luhan was the one who woke her up, “Seorin-ah, were already here,” he nudged her lightly. She fluttered her eyes open and gave an apologetic smile at the male one. “Come on, Chen will send you home,” he smiled back.

 

The ride back to her apartment was done in silence. Xiumin joined them and volunteered to be their driver. When she got down, he just gave her a weak wave as she did the same. Seems like both are too tired to get mushy and anything that disappointed Xiumin. On the drive back to the dorm, Chen dozed off due to their heavy schedule.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*

 

She sighed after getting outside the clinic. ‘Looks like I really need to distance myself and get back home to mother,’ she thought and starts to walk in a slow pace, watching the other patients pass by her. ‘I’ll have to break things, no matter how painful it would be,’ she thought again, heaving a sigh.

 

That night, they are silent as they walked around the block without holding hands and even keep a few feet between them. It was awkward, but both feel like they had done wrong at each other. When they got to their usual resting place, Seorin broke the silence.

“I think we have to stop this,” she started.

Chen whipped his head to look at her, “What? Why? Is there something wrong?”

She gave a weak smile, “It’s getting boring and things wouldn’t work out just like what we want. Besides, both of our time seems to be just parallel that we can’t meet at a common point. It will be a burden for both of us if we try to keep this up,” she calmly explained trying not to make her voice shake from the hurting feeling she feels after letting those words slip off .

 

Chen just looked at her, speechless. Seorin cupped his face, “Jongdae Oppa, thank you for everything but I really need space. I think it will be better if we stop this so we can concentrate on each of our own time. If heaven abide to it, then we might end up happily like Luhan and Joo In, right?” she gave a weak smile.

Chen just looked at her, tears brim his eyes. The pain inside hurts that it left him tongue tied. Seorin leaned forward and planted a soft kiss on his lips. Their first and probably their last kiss before she started to walk away from him. After keeping a safe distance, the tears she had been holding back finally get freed.

 

*-*-*-*-*-*-*

 

The following days proved to be a torture for him. The rest of the group already learned about it, especially Joo In. but since the twins are too young to understand, he had a hard time adjusting whenever they would ask him about Seorin’s whereabouts. He would try his best not to break down as he builds up lies to cover her. Joo In saw the struggle in him that made her shed a tear.

 

One night, he suddenly grabs his coat and when outside, too eagerly that when he came to the front porch he stopped. ‘I forgot we are already over,’ he thought so he just sat in there.

 

As he is busy thinking of reasons why she would just ask for some space, Joo In came out of the door, slamming it and sat beside him. He spared her a look, “What’s wrong?” he asked.

“Sometimes I really want to strangle my husband,” Joo In hissed.

‘Another misunderstanding,’ he thought, a smile making its way on his lips.

“About the twins again?” he asked.

“About everything between us! I just forgot to remind him of picking up the twins and he is already having a fit over it. I often want to regret my decision of getting back in here and make that divorce a reality,” she rambles, her cheeks flushing in anger.

“Calm down! Just what would happen to the twins? Don’t be selfish,” he patted her shoulder.

The silence that ensued made her relax.

 

“You thought of getting a divorce but what kept you from doing it?’ he asked breaking the silence.

A smile appeared on Joo In’s lips.

“I may think of those but my reasons are not enough for me to push through the idea. I may get mad at him, loathe him at times, or even give him the cold treatment, but those are normal for married people. It’s not just the twins that holds me back, but the fear that I might not get again what I have today. I would just divorce him if the reason is big enough for me to let him go,” she explained.

“You think her reason is big enough for her to leave me?” he asked, allowing the tears to just flow.

She gave a sad smile, “Yeah, but then you have to respect her decision too. I guess she is just thinking of the better way to tell you personally her reason.”

“It sounds so shallow that she would let things off because of time conflict, don’t you think so?”

“Yes, it may sound shallow, but since I am a girl, I think that is not just her reason,” she tried to console him. She suddenly pulls something from her coat pocket and handed it to him.

“Is this a gift?” he asked as he reaches for it. It’s a globe with a small figure of couple dancing. He shook it and white balls enveloped the dancing couple.

“I remembered you when I saw that on one of the shop in Paris,” she smiled, “Don’t worry, things will soon fall into place,” she added and stood up.

“Where are you going?” he asked.

“Getting inside to talk to my husband. He probably had cooled down,” she smiled and went inside.

Chen looked at the globe and shook it once more as he watches the tiny white balls settle down.