Seven

The Unseen

She sighed and waved at the seat across the table, “Sitting?” Her legs were crossed and so were her arms. She seemed much more reserved than last time, knowing what a single touch from him could do.

 

Yoongi finally snapped out of his shock after staring at the woman for a minute. He pulled out the metal chair from under the small round table and slowly sat, keeping a suspicious eye on the lady.  For all he knew, she could have hidden pepper spray in her closed fists.

 

“Well, I guess we’ll have to introduce ourselves now that we know we’ll be seeing each other more often,” there seemed to be a touch of reluctance in her voice. She just seemed so stubborn. Not that Yoongi could complain, he was also quite a stubborn person himself.

 

Yoongi still kept a close eye on her actions. She seemed so different once again. It seemed like all she did was amaze him with new personalities that she had tucked inside that small body of hers. She stared back and Yoongi couldn’t help but to immediately avert his gaze elsewhere. His eyes instead landed on a dark green trashcan that stood a few meters away from them.

 

“I figured since we are here now, there ain’t no use in trying to run away from something as crazy as this. I also forgot to ask you. Did you get checked with the doctors? Like… they didn’t find any mental issues? No brain damage?” She asked, her voice softer than it was just before. Wow, she changes quick, was all he could think about.

 

“Uh… erm…” Yoongi’s voiced trailed off as his train of thought left the conversation. “Ah… no… I don’t think … it’s not because of that…”

 

“Then because of what?” She was definitely getting impatient but he didn’t know how else to explain things.

 

“H-How about starting off with names then? I didn’t catch your name last time. So since we are here talking, we should introduce ourselves like you said right?” He fiddled with his thumbs, hoping that she wouldn’t catch that he was trying to change the subject.

 

“Cha. Eun. Song. You?” She nodded over to Yoongi and he proceeded to sit up straight to introduce himself properly.

 

“Min Yoongi. Animationist. Love drawing so here I am. Just turned 21 and now officially hired full time.”

 

“Ha. And to think that you have been rude to me all along without knowing your place,” she rolled her eyes and continued, “I am 24 since March 9th, which was quite recently.” Yoongi’s eyes widened. March 9th? That’s when my birthday was…  

 

Eun Song continued her introduction and didn’t pay attention to his reaction, “I was also recently hired as a writer. Maybe only a week ago? So maybe even calling me noona wouldn’t be bad.” She looked at him with a mischievious smirk as she played the thought over and over in her head. It gave her a bit of sense of pleasure since it would be getting this brat to admit that he is younger. It would be a nice kick in the kid’s ego.

 

Instead, Yoongi laughed at her attempt, “Noona? I think a psychotic suits you better.”

 

Eun Song’s eyes darkened and a thick sinister atmosphere replaced the slightly easy going one in just seconds. Her hand slammed the table, the sound echoing off the slanting walls on every side. The other workers glanced over and had worried looks on their faces. “I. Don’t. Think. So.”

 

The thousands of hairs on Yoongi’s body stood up on its ends. His head unconsciously seemed to tilt down in a way that looked like he was cowering. His face froze with his eyes wide and lips slightly open at the surprise of the change. His hands turned ice cold and his own body seemed to be paralyzed. Yoongi couldn’t dare speak another word. He didn’t have to anyway since she was the one who continued the conversation.

 

Her tone immediately changed to that of a business talk, “Now… we wer-“

 

A loud crash interrupted Eun Song midsentence followed by a bang and a groan.

 

The nearest window to their left had shattered and a staggering gargoyle was standing in the mess. People screamed, Eun Song included.

 

Both stood quickly and backed away. Eun Song was the first one to find her voice, “W-WHAT THE ING HELL? Who the …I-Is that… a crazy, drunk old man?!” She continued to back away as the gargoyle seemed to be coming closer. She poked his arm slightly. “What… what the hell is that? What… do you see?”

 

He didn’t even need to explain. Yoongi grabbed her arm and pulled her back further, at which she screamed once again after seeing the true form of the gargoyle in Yoongi’s eyes. “HOLY… .”

 

The gargoyle let out a hoarse roar and continued to stagger drunkenly side to side as he advanced towards them. He tried shaking his head, possibly to clear whatever he was on, but it only led to stone pieces getting flung everywhere. He couldn’t imagine what the normal people were seeing. They only screamed frantically for security.

 

Just as they were being cornered at the clear railing that looked over the first floor with their arms locked, Eun Song screamed. Her body shook madly as she let out her voice of terror. But it sounded oddly pleasant to Yoongi. It seemed to have a wind chime ring to it more than a chalkboard scratch like one would think. It was, in a way, slightly calming to one’s ears. But looking over at Eun Song, one would think otherwise. This was definitely not a situation where one might be calm.

 

The gargoyle gradually grew in size and continued towards them until it was a few feet away, where it stopped. It appeared to have bumped into something. Yoongi looked at it closely, no longer in such a state that he would be clouded by fear, and found a slight pink shimmer where the creature had hit. The creature advanced again, which made Eun Song let out another yell. The pink shimmer grew more apparent and it seemed to become stronger with each of Eun Song’s screams. Looking around them, that slight pink shimmer seemed to surround them in a circular shape. A… force field? Yoongi glanced at Eun Song and noticed that she didn’t detect it. She wasn’t able to either since her eyes were closed shut at the constant fear of the gargoyle coming to crush them.

 

The gargoyle also seemed to get stronger and stronger just as Eun Song’s shield was but it seemed to beat Eun Song’s strength. There were slight cracks forming in the force field that Eun Song had created. It went to the point where she couldn’t stand it any longer.

 

“Go Away!!” It was meant to be a warning, but instead it came out as some sort of song. Her voice filled the air and the gargoyle seemed to be listening. The creature shook its head one more time before staggering back and shrinking down to its original size. What came next surprised Yoongi. The gargoyle looked at them and seemed like it smiled, or what was close to a smile, as it left out the way it came.

 

Yoongi tapped Eun Song’s shoulder, his eyes still locked on the wobbling gargoyle walking out of the hole it created onto the bustling street outside. “I-it’s,” he turned back to her, “gone!” A smile lit his face before he realized the state that she was in. Her body had collapsed and was only propped up with the help of the railing. Her eyes were closed. There were beads of sweat above her lip, which were sickly pale. Her arms went limp. “Eun… Eun Song! Wake up! Eun Song!” Yoongi shook her shoulders wildly, trying to get a response. But he was unsuccessful.

 

And only then did the security guards dare to come closer to the scene where the chaos had just happened.