Five

The Unseen

He sighed and rubbed his aching temples. The nipping cold wind of the night did nothing to help his condition. He was feeling tired and uncomfortable.

 

He looked back on the long day and wanted to faint. The stupid things running around persistently caused him a lot of trouble for his first day. There was no break for him. Having to also hide the crazy truth about what he saw, he evacuated everyone, room after room, so that he could chase the pests away.

 

Now, just like everyone else, he was ready to go home and have a good rest. He thought he would get that until he walked out of the company building.

 

His vision blurred as a rampage of monsters passed by. From the sudden motion and force he felt, Yoongi almost fell flat on his back. But he continued to force himself through it all and slowly walked towards his car.

 

On the way to the parking lot, he saw a familiar girl, a few meters ahead of him, dressed in a long, pink wool trench coat with a black skirt underneath. She had a small light brown bag slung over her shoulder. Her hair was tied up in a neat high pony, which allowed for the hair to swing back and forth like a pendulum. She looked so familiar yet he couldn’t think of where he had seen her before.

 

But what really caught his attention were the two fat gargoyles with light blue eyes play fighting above her. The hairier one--which Yoongi, himself, didn’t think was possible for a gargoyle made of stone-- was angry at the other one because the one with less hair had stolen his food that was set aside for his newborn child. The only way he could hold back his laughter was with a stiff smile.

 

That’s when the smoother gargoyle pushed the hairy one angrily, making him loose his balance. This in turn made the hairy one plummet down straight towards the innocent girl.

 

“Watch out!” Being the kind person he was, he ran over to her to try to prevent the disastrous event from occurring. Her eyes darted in his direction and into the space above her just as he grabbed her aside.  

 

“AHHH!” A scream escaped her lips as she yanked her arm away and collapsed. Suddenly everything disappeared before her eyes; she only saw the dark black sky with its few stars and that was it. No strange monsters. Not anymore.

 

“D-Did you… see that?” Her hands went to , which was open agape. “A-Am I going insane?” Her pointing finger rose upwards shakily to where the gargoyles were. “Th-There were… stone monsters… no… gargoyles?”

 

The gargoyles looked back at her curiously, their argument already abandoned by the amusement of watching a plain human’s reaction to their kind. They even started laughing at her.

 

But Yoongi couldn’t laugh. He found someone. This girl. This random girl. She could see, even if it was just for a second. All his attention was on her. “You… saw? Those things? You saw them, right?”

 

“You mean you saw them too?!” She stared at him in shock. The girl finally recovered from the shock, stood up and brushed the dirt and dust off of her. “Don’t tell me this was some prank.” She laughed. Oh how her laugh sounded so fake. “This is some sort of prank right? Those animation jerks came and pulled a prank on us, writers, because we laughed at them for being so immature, right?” She looked at him.

 

Oh how she reminded him of himself that morning. He didn’t believe anything he saw either. Yoongi knew exactly what she was going through. Denial.

 

“So… you saw them too?” He asked again. Min Yoongi wanted confirmation.

 

“Of course I saw them. You jerks were the ones who set it all up. Now I need to ask you. That was quite impressive. How did you guys do it?”

 

She was changing the subject. “No… you saw them… I saw them. They were real.” He sighed, the explanation would take a while and he didn’t even know where to start. “I-I’ve been seeing them a lot lately… I don’t know why.”

 

“Ha!” She began laughing. “This is hilarious. But seriously, you guys don’t need to trick me any further. I know it is all a prank. Just… why don’t you confess and tell me, huh?”

 

“No… I’ve been seeing them for a while and I know they are real,” he urged again.

 

“Then are you saying you infected me with whatever you have and so now I’m hallucinating?” She asked, hands on her hips. A frustrated frown spread on her face.

 

He looked in her eyes and unconfidently answered, “Uhh… maybe…?”

 

 

 

The drinks they ordered at the nearby café were left untouched as they sat in silence after the strange occurrence. She sat before him, leaned back with her arms crossed. Her unyielding gaze showed that she still didn’t believe him. “So you’re saying that you can see these strange creatures for some odd reason ever since this morning. Then how do you explain me seeing them?”

 

“I don’t know! I’m new to this, okay? I’m also really confused. If you ask me, who will I ask?!” Yoongi was no longer polite anymore. His short temper was brought back.

 

“Shhh! We are in a public area,” she reminded him. “And how am I supposed to believe this nonsense if you can’t even prove it or explain this right?!”

 

“I don’t know. At least now I know I’m not crazy.” Yoongi rolled his eyes and looked out the window at the passing pedestrians to their right.

 

“Ha! As if! For all we know, we might both be crazy!” She grabbed the handle of her hot cappuccino and took a sip before one of the other customers bumped into her arm. Her coffee spilled all over herself and she could already feel the burning of the liquid seeping through her skirt. “AHH!! What the hell were you looking at to not see that someone was here that you should avoid?!” She roared.

 

“Sorry! Sorry!” The middle aged man started to bow. He took out a handkerchief and started dabbing at the spill on her body.

 

“YAH! What do you think you’re doing, you ?!” She snatched the handkerchief out of his hand and began dabbing at her skirt. “What an unlucky day! Crazy creatures and now this!” The girl turned to the man who did this to her, “GO AWAY!”

 

Startled, he quickly muttered another “sorry” and ran towards the exit of the café.

 

Meanwhile Yoongi had gone to grab some paper towels from the bathroom and was already running back out to assist her.

 

“Give me those!” She grabbed the paper towels when suddenly the creatures flashed before her eyes. She gasped and dropped the towels.

 

“What? You just wasted perfectly fine paper towels!” Yoongi bent over and began picking up the fallen objects.

 

“N-No…” She had long forgotten about the burn on her thighs and put her hand on his shoulder. After a few seconds, the woman took her hand back and held her body close.

 

Yoongi got up and placed the paper onto the table. Then he looked at her and saw her trembling body and her pale face. He chuckled, surprised by her change, “Looks like you saw a ghost or something.”

 

“I… I did.”


A/N: Yay! I updated today. I feel so accomplished xD Drop a comment and make my day? [;