Hun...gry

Attraction

Yura dragged herself out of her bed and glared at her phone that woke her up. It was seven in the morning on a relaxing Saturday, but her phone decided to wake her up as if it was a school day. She washed her face and walked down the stairs with her still sleepy eyes, the whole house was quiet which reminded her that her parents were on a business trip, and her and her brother were the only one home. 

She poured herself a bowl of cereal and added a tiny bit of milk that was enough to soak the cereal to a stage where it is wet but crunchy. She hated milk and only drinks it with cereal, which is probably why she wasn't as tall. She carried the bowl of cereal over to the couch and the tv but there was nothing good on, she gave up and switched to the news channel. At least I get to know what's happening. She thought and ate her cereal in silent. 

 

Yura picked up her empty bowl and walked to the sink, she sighed and rolled up her sleeves to wash the bowl. She turned off the tab and listen carefully for a faint noise that did not belong to tv, she muted the tv and listen more carefully. The faint sound came from somewhere upstairs, but she couldn't think of anything that was making that sound. She slowly walked up the stairs and frowned. Is that my ringtone? She asked herself and hurried into her room. 

Her phone was ringing at the very edge of her nightstand, she glanced at the clock beside it before picking it up. Who calls this early in the morning? She chuckled at the name that displayed on the screen, she had forgot her best friend never sleeps in. “Yura? It this you?” Hyojin asked as if she had called the wrong number. “No, it's not,” Yura answered sarcastically. 

“Wow, it's a miracle that you're awake at this hour.”

“I don't even want to talk about that right now. My alarm is just so messed up, it hurts.”

Hyojin laughed from the other side, and somehow that made Yura smile. She loves talking to her best friend, Hyojin knows so much about her, a look can tell a million words. “Are you coming over today?” Hyojin asked. “My parents both went to work, and I feel lonely!”

“Why don't you come over?” Yura suggested and revived a loud whining from Hyojin. “Okay, okay. I'll go. I'll be over in about twenty minutes, because there's is no way I'm going to cook for that idiot again. He's so picky,” Yura complained and walked over to her closet, pulling out a white t-shirt and shorts, then she stuffed a clean gym strip into her gym bag, because why not go to the gym after?

“Then don't cook for him, tell him to eat it or leave it.” “Maybe next time,” Yura laughed. “I'm gonna hung up now, see you later!” Hyojin said her goodbyes and hung up. Yura changed into her simple outfit and rushed down the stairs, she stick a sticky note on the kitchen counter for her brother and headed out the door. 

 

Junhong woke up half an hour later, he walked down the stairs with his eyes still closed and went into the kitchen to find some food, but instead of finding any cooked food, he saw the sticky note Yura had left him before she left the house. 

To my idiotic oppa,

I went to Hyojin's house and won't be home till probably eight, because I'm going to the gym after. And, I know you can’t cook, so, I found the phone number of the pizza delivery or you can just go out and eat those unhealthy fast food if you want. 

                                Yura

 

Junhong pouted and collapsed onto the floor. “Hun...gry...” he whispered. 

 


 Yura rang the doorbell but she didn't wait for more than two second for Hyojin to open the door, it was as if she was sitting beside the door waiting for her to come. Yura crashed into the couch in the living room and hugged tightly onto the pillow, she sniffed the clean scent of pillow and hugged it even tighter. Yura buried her head into the pillow and enjoyed her peaceful moment, but it was soon destroyed when Hyojin jumped onto the empty space beside her. “You're not here sleep, you're here to make cookies with me!” Hyojin clapped her hands together and smiled cheerfully at her best friend. Yura looked up from the pillow as dropped open. “Who bakes cookies in the morning?”

“Who doesn't?” 

“Nobody does!”

“Come on, I feel like baking today.”

“What do I get for helping you then?”

Hyojin paused and thought for a few seconds. “I don't know, what do you want?”

“To not bake.” Hyojin growled and stole the pillow from Yura. “Fine, I was thinking we could go watch a movie after, but since you're not going to help me—” Hyojin shrugged,“—no movie then.” Yura's eyes flashed open when she heard the word movie, she has been craving to watch a movie, any movie, ever since the day she got back from the vacation. “Can we eat half of the cookie dough and bake the other half?” Yura asked and jumped up from the couch. Hyojin nodded in agreement and headed towards the kitchen. 

 

Yura sat on the stool ordering Hyojin around the kitchen, Yura was like a walking recipe, she, somehow, was able to memorize all the steps and small details of every single recipe she had read before. “Aren't we suppose to add eggs?” Hyojin glanced at the eggs on the counter. “We're doing it the other way where you don't add the eggs, because, remember, we're eating half of the cookie dough, and we don't want to get salmonella.” Hyojin nodded and continued mixing the ingredients. 

Yura yawned and pulled Hyojin's laptop towards her, she scrolled through the website Hyojin was on, it was a boring and useless website with people posting random pictures and boring statuses. Yura clicked onto the blue words, “friend suggestions”, to see who are the people the stupid site would recommend to befriends with. She rolled her eyes and scrolled through a bunch of people that went to the same school as them, she had no idea who all these people were, they just had their education listed the same as Hyojin's. She sighed and moved the cursor to the word, “home”, but stopped when a familiar face caught her attention. She looked back down at the profile picture and stared at it for awhile, and without her mind telling her anything, she clicked his name. So, L.Joe is his nam—whoa, what are you doing, Choi Yura? Her eyes rounded when she realize what she had done. Why are you so curious about him? 

Even though she had already asked herself to stop, she still read through his profile and looked at the statuses he posts, they were almost all about basketball, the scores of basketball games, which team won which game, and more, but Yura didn't mind since she already knew all of the information he was posting. Her phone rang loudly from the back pocket of her shorts, she jumped up and answered the call right away. “Yura!” Her brother screamed into the phone. “Yes!” She screamed back.

“Can you come home and cook? Just for lunch, please!” Junhong begged over the phone. “No,” Yura said immediately. 

“But—”

“Choi Junhong! I thought you said you had food!” Yura chuckled when she heard Daehyun screaming in the background. She walked out of the kitchen and went back to the comfortable couch. “Hyungs are over,” Junhong mumbled. “We're working on a new mix tape.”

“Did you lure them with food to come to our house so you don't have to leave?” Yura was sure he did do that, because he never leaves the house on the weekends. “Just order pizza or whatever you guys want to eat, because I am not going back to just cook for six people and then leave again.”

“But—” 

“No matter how badly you want me to go back, I'm still not going, so bye,” she hung up before her brother could say another “but”. She walked back to the kitchen, Hyojin was already done with everything and was sitting in front of her laptop, staring at the screen and eating half of the cookie dough she made. “You know L.Joe?” She asked. Yura shook her head and took another spoon out of the drawer.

“Why are you on his profile then?” Hyojin looked up at her, her eyes widen as a thought popped into her head. “Are you stalking him?” She whispered as if there were people around them.

“No, I don’t even know him!” Yura pulled the cookie dough away from Hyojin and digged in. “I accidentally clicked his name, that’s all.” Yura lied. Hyojin gave her a suspicious look and stole the bowl of cookie dough back. “Didn’t we see him at the shoe store last time?” Yura nodded and looked down at her spoon avoiding eye contacts. Yura knew she didn’t like him, she knew he wasn’t her style, but for some reason her heart does not want to follow what her brain is telling it to do.

“Speaking of L.Joe, I overheard this conversation the girls in my art class was talking about, they said he was expelled once last year, one of them said it was because he got into a fight and the other one said he was talking back to teachers and giving them attitudes. I was just sitting there rolling my eyes the whole time,” Hyojin rolled her eyes as the thought annoyance of the gossipy girls came back into her head.

Yura scooped up another spoon of cookie dough and glanced at the laptop screen, she was wondering why he got expelled as well, he didn’t look like the type of guy that would get in trouble at all, he seemed nice. She mentally smacked herself in the head, frustrated. Why are you even wondering? She asked herself and shoved another spoon of cookie dough into .

 

Hyojin and Yura cleaned up the kitchen before leaving the house to go watch a movie, Yura looked at all the hatred message her brother sent her for not cooking for him and the other five boys. She stuck out her tongue her phone and put it into her gym bag, she laid down on the couch and waited for Hyojin to get changed, her mind wondered back to L.Joe, this time she didn’t force herself to stop thinking about him, she just let the thoughts float around in her head, because there was no point of forcing it out when it will always come back right away. She sighed and shook her head, she was confused by herself, she never actually had a crush on anyone, it was always the “oh, he’s good looking” type of feeling, and now she doesn’t know whether this is a crush type of feeling or not. As soon as Hyojin was done, they headed out the door and to the bus stop down the street.

 


After the movie Hyojin headed back to her house, and Yura took the bus to the gym she always goes to. She tied her hair back as she walked out of the bus and into the gym, she went into the change room and changed into her gym strip. When she got out of the change room, her heart started beating faster and faster, the sound of basketball bouncing off the shiny gym floor made her excited. She felt a rush of energy going through her body when she picked up a basketball, she felt good being in the gym again, even though the other players weren’t the people she used to practice with before, she still felt good.

 

The sky became darker outside, and Yura grew hungry. She decided to call it a day, she hurried and changed out of her sweaty clothing and walked out the change room. She chugged down the rest of the water that was left in her water bottle, she stared at the food in the vending machine, a quite sigh escaped , she had already spent all her money she brought at the movie theater, all she could do now is go home. Yura turned away from the vending machine before she start drooling over the food behind the glass.

“Oh, Yura?” A voice called from behind. Yura turned around wondering who it was, she was surprised to hear her name being called at the gym, since she didn’t know who else that knew her would come to the gym. She smiled weakly at Ricky as her stomach cried for food. “Hey,” he greeted and walked towards her. Yura gave him a nod and gripped tightly onto her bag straps as her stomach growled again. “Someone’s hungry,” Ricky smirked. Yura gave him a death glare and kicked his leg playfully. “I was here for a long time, and I didn’t even get to have a proper lunch.”

“Aw, poor thing, why don’t you go buy some food from the vending machine.” Yura sighed and looked down at her shoes as she felt her stomach ready to let out another loud growl. “I would if I had money, but I don’t!” She clenched her teeth and waited. A pair of brand new red Converse stopped beside Ricky’s dirty basketball shoes, Yura looked up from the shoes. L.Joe? She blinked at him wondering why he was here with Ricky. It was all quiet when Yura’s stomach decided to growl the loudest, she puffed out her cheek and looked down at her stomach, she could feel her face already turning bright red in embarrassment.

Ricky let out a loud laugh. “That was so loud!” He screamed as if she didn’t know that. She glanced over at L.Joe who was trying really hard to hide his smile, but his smile was too big to hide.

“I’ll buy you something to eat as a payback,” Ricky said and walked over to the vending machine. Payback? Yura thought, then she remembered last time when she let him have some of her chips. Yura looked around awkwardly while L.Joe stood in front of her, awkwardly as well. She was still embarrassed and wanted to run away, but instead she smiled awkwardly at him and slowly walk towards Ricky.

L.Joe stared at her back as she walk away from him, leaving him standing alone in the middle. Is she close with Ricky? Are they friends? He thought as he watched her choose a snack from the vending machine, she was laughing and smiling, she looked happy. They're just friends, right? He asked himself, scratching the back his head.