the breadwinner

Years Later [oneshots]
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

It was a rather chilly Thursday in January. Hongki was shivering even though the dressing room was quite well-heated. Perhaps it's just the flu that's just started to get the better of him. It was just him and Jaeshin, his coordi nuna for the day, preparing him for his next schedule: another appearance in a variety show. Since they arrived quite early, they still have half an hour left before the filming started. But Hongki, instead of going around visiting the set and other casts like he usually do, prefer to stay inside to keep himself warm.

 

"Keep this inside your pocket ," Jaeshin-nuna offered him two packs of hot pack. "I'll go for a bit and grab some coffee, do you want some?"

 

"Oh, that'd be nice, nuna. But please don't put any sugar in it."

 

"Got it," Jaeshin said, closing the door behind her.

 

Now that he's alone, he doesn't really have anything to do. He scrolled down over his twitter timeline, cracking up everytime he read an amusing tweet from a primadonna. Snots started to drip from his runny nose and he scrambled around looking for tissue. Just as he finally able to spot one, the door cracked open, exposing the superstar vocalist looking not-quite-his-best while wiping down his snots.

 

"Aigoo, Hongki, why are you wiping your make up off?"

 

He looked up and found his coordi nuna stood up with a cup of coffee on each hand, looking exasperated. Of course you would if you see that your work has been ruined. "I'm sorry nuna, it's just my runny nose... Aigoo, is there any way to block it? How am I supposed to film the show with tissues stuck up in my nostrill? "

 

"Aw, is it that bad? Should I called Yunho to cancel this schedule now?" asked Jaeshin, handing him the coffee.

 

"Thank you, but no thanks. I'm alright. Beside, we're already here anyway." Hongki slurped the coffee and stuck out his tounge, "Puah, it's hot!"

 

"Of course it's hot, you pabo. Here, let me touch up your make up."

 

Hongki put down his coffee and faced the mirror. He was silent the whole time Jaeshin did his make up, occasionally forced himself to inhale back his snots. It was quite torturing because the powder keep tickled up his nose and he felt like sneezing but he know he shouldn't.  But you know, nobody could ever hold out a sneeze. "Nuna, I'm sorry but I don't think I could last any longer" he said and then sneezed gloriously.

 

Jaeshin could only sighed with her arms akimbo. "That's it, I'm calling your manager right now, " and took out her cellphone.

 

As much as he didn't want anyone getting troubles because of his sickness, Hongki knows that he couldn't really do anything about it either. Tomorrow's schedules would be just as packed if not more than today, and if the flu hadn't been subsided by then, things could get even worse. He more than anyone knew that he needed a rest, desperately.

 

"Don't pull such a long face. It's not your fault that you get sick. Anyway, Yunho said he'd inform the production staff that you won't be able to make it today. Come on, you have to go back to the dorm straight away and get some rest. You have to be in London at this exact time tomorrow right?" Jaeshin started to pack her things up.

 

"Yeah," said Hongki. "I just hope the flu wouldn't mess up with my voice. Nuna, I'm sorry for messing up everything today."

 

Jaeshin put a reassuring smile and said, "Don't worry. If anything, we should be the one who said sorry for putting you through all these hardships. Let's go."

 

***

 

"Looks like there's an accident down there. The driver in front of us said that it'll hold us for at least an hour." said Jaeshin, closing back the door quickly before any cold wind could get through in. "It's okay with me if you want to sleep now. You should get rest as much as you could."

 

"I really want to nuna," said Hongki in a nasally voice, "but my clogged nose keeps me awake."

 

Jaeshin rummaged through her handbag. "Here, it should help you little." she said,  handing him an inhaler.

 

Hongki could only felt grateful that he had such a resourceful coordi-nuna at this kind of time. He mouthed a thank you and inhaled it deeply. The sudden relieving sensation that followed felt like heaven and his eyes started to get droppy. But it didn't last long and seconds later, his nose was already clogged up again.

 

At that time of desperation, he heard his phone rang. It's Jonghun calling. "Yeah," he sniffed through the phone.

 

"Aw, it's getting that bad huh, the flu?" said Jon

Please log in to read the full chapter