bad day

Years Later [oneshots]
Please log in to read the full chapter

Today wasn't the best day ever.

I woke up at 8.30 a.m., when I should've been ready in my office at 8.00 a.m. And then I got lost in the building, which added thirty minutes more to my arrival. To make it even worse, my boss seemed like she's on her period or something, and that makes my sincere apology looks like an effort to make fun of his authority. Well, I guess you don't need rocket science to figure out what would happen next.

 

Yes, I got suspended. On my first day at work. Sigh.

 

So here I am, drenched in the rain, in the middle of a busy street, frantically running to find a shelter because I forgot to bring my umbrella. And then I saw a café, right at the corner of the street. I've never been around here before so I didn't know what to expect. But what choice did I have? At least it didn't look like a place for gangsters or something.

 

As soon as I opened the door, a sweet smell of pancakes and honey welcomed me. The place wasn't really extravagant, but it's big enough that it even provide a live band. It's almost full; there's only one table left, right in front of the stage. I detached my dripping coat and handed it over to the waiter. He asked me what I'd like to order. I glanced at the menu written on the wall and then hastily ordered a cup of latte and pancakes with fruits and yoghurt. Diet be damned.

 

I sat glumly at my table while waiting for my order. The temperature inside here wasn't that low, but my clothes were still damp from the rain. I shivered a little and looked around. Huh, why is the guy on my back starring at me? And that lady on my right. And that girl on the left. Actually, everyone's eyes were directed at me... But why? Was there something wrong with me? Well, apart from looking all wet and totally having a bad day…

 

Only then I realized that their eyes wasn't actually looking at me. Well, you could blame me for sitting right before the stage. That's why I misunderstood the look of admirations which was actually directed to the band that's currently performing, right in front of me. But why so fixated anyway, was it that good?

 

Their face looked foreign to me, as foreign as the language they're singing. Something like Asian… Chinese? Japanese? Korean? I couldn't really distinguish. But the more I listened to their song, I had to admit that I enjoyed it. It's an acoustic performance, and the song was very calm and relaxing. The singer's voice was so soft yet a little bit husky at the same time, but it matched well with the tone of the song. Everyone was quite good looking but the piano player stood up the most in my eyes. He looked so angelic… Not to mention he played very well, harmoniously mixed with the sound of acoustic guitar, bass, and the drum..

 

I'm not really sure, but there's something familiar about their music. The warmth, the tingle in my heart, something that brings the smell of freshly cut grass from the backyard of my granny's house…

 

But then at some point in the middle of the refrain, I locked my eyes with the vocalist and… did he just WINKED at me?

 

What the heck.

 

Does he think I look like some girly chick to wink at? Do I look like I'm in the state to take a wink and let it pass? I mean, HOW DARE HIM? I could've just strangle him right there and then; I'm pretty much as dangerous as a serial killer who's ready to spot her next target. And yet he winked at me!

 

Just when my anger was almost got the best of me, the waiter arrived at my table to deliver my order. The smell of latte and pancake immediately calmed me down. Damn, I was just starting to enjoy the performance when that dimwit vocalist decided to do something stupid. I sipped the latte and stabbed the pancake almost inhumanly, making sure that the he saw what I did. Did you get my answer, huh? You could've ended up just like this pancake.

 

But unfortunately, he didn't saw it. He seemed distracted because they have to start another song, which apparently causing some rearrangement on the stage. The handsome piano player moved closer to the other four,  strumming an acoustic guitar. And the plump drummer move forward--wait, was he actually hitting his chair? Was that some kind of a percussion or just a random attempt at creating an emergency instrument?*) Anyway, by now the five of them sat together side by side, each one got a microphone which was no longer pointed at their instruments, but to their face instead.

 

The vocalist started to sing and the instruments followed. It's pretty good actually, still with the same relaxing effect, but a little bit upbeat. I sipped my latte and then almost got choked. Woah, the handsome piano-now-guitar-player was singing too! And then the other guitarist, and the drummer too! And the bassist as well! What is this--everyone of them can sing?

 

The song was pretty good. It's very easy listening and somehow, it had some weird uplifting spirit. The more I enjoyed the song, the better my mood became. Perhaps it had something to do with their attitude… There's a part where all of them singing together and it's just so… I don't know… beautiful, maybe? The aura was very different from the previous song, which was a little bit too mellow for my taste. Anyway, they just looked so happy all of a sudden, like, totally enjoying their performance. The

Please log in to read the full chapter