Dodgeball; K and M

Opening Up To Others

The ten boys shuffled forward and took a closer look at their two group names scribbled on the board by their leaders.

“EXO-K, EXO-M?”

“What?”

The two leaders stood there and looked at the rest quizzingly, “Why?” Suho asked, “It sounds good to me.”

“I agree.” Kris nodded.

“Who’s under which?” Baekhyun asked as he stepped back from the board to let the other groups take a look at the board.

“Kris’s group is M while ours is K.”

“What does M and K stand for anyways?” Kai raised an eyebrow, “It doesn’t make any sense.”

“M for Man and K for Kids!” Chen laughed while the others chuckled.

“More like K for King and M for Monkey!” Chanyeol retorted as the group sat down, waiting for Mr. Yo to return with the equipment.

The two subgroups began to bicker what M and K stand for, adding to the already loud noise in the gymnasium. Kris and Suho sighed. They sure fight over small matters huh? Suho shook his head and sighed once more. Childish kids, Kris facepalmed. The blonde’s jaw dropped as he saw his quiet roommate Tao started to join in the fun, I don’t want to live on this planet anymore.

“M for Majestic!” Tao added in. Xiumin laughed and clapped Tao’s back.

“K for kool!” Sehun retorted back.

“Cool starts with the letter C, Sehunnie,” Luhan giggled, “And M for Mystic!”

Sehun frowned and pointed at Luhan, “You win.”

“Okay enough guys,” Kris interrupted the twelve boys, “Geez, you guys are just like puppies. K stands for Kris and M for Money, got it?”

“Fail!” Chen shouted, “M is our group, Kris! Not K!”

“Fine, let’s switch letters then!” Kris fumed, shouting back and glaring at the boy.

“Chill Kris,” Suho said softly as he pulled the two boys apart, “The reason why we chose those two letters are because.. well, it just popped into our minds.”

“Just like that? You mean, M and K just randomly,” Chanyeol paused, doing a gesture with his hands, “Poof, just like that?”

Kris and Suho nodded their heads.

“It sounds cool though, I like EXO-M and EXO-K.”

“Yeah, K sounds nice. K for Kill!”

“M for Massacre!” 

Lay’s eyes widened, “That sounds really violent..” The boy wasn’t much of a fan of violence, he dislikes getting into fights.

“You’re such a scaredy-cat, Unicorn,” Kai teased.

“Well you’re a coward!” Xiumin stepped in in defense of his teammate, “You were scared of a confetti popper!”

“You were scared of a confetti popper,” Sehun mimicked Xiumin in an irritating voice.

The twelve boys started to fight once more.

“Why is it so noisy in here?” Mr. Yo asked as he placed a basket full of soft balls down. The noise died down and the teacher nodded, taking out his mobile phone, “I’ve keyed in your group names here,” he held up the device and showed the screen, “Now I’ll let fate decide the two teams for the first match.” With that, he pressed the button on the screen. The boys held their breaths as the two team names were flashed; they all were excited to play against each other.

“Mysticfire and EXO-K!” Mr. Yo announced.

Chanyeol grinned and got up to his feet, running to the P.E teacher and grabbing the ball passed to him.

“Watch the pros play,” Kai smirked and walked towards the court.

“And lose,” Chen continued.

“That’ll happen to you, not us,” Baekhyun replied.

The twelve boys stood on each side of the court, facing each other with six balls in the middle.

“Who do you think will win?” Tao asked as he watched the students dash towards the balls when the whistle was blown.

“Definitely EXO,” came the reply.

“Why?”

Kris raised an eyebrow and looked at the boy, “Either you’re really naïve or acting dumb.”

Tao tilted his head and Kris sighed, “Just look at the other team.” The blonde pointed out, “Most of them are short and look skinny as sticks. There’s no way they could win K.” He chuckled as a member of Mysticfire got hit by a ball thrown by Kai, “Told you.”

Tao pursed his lips as he leaned back against the wall, they sure are good at dodgeball, he thought.


The match was over in five minutes, EXO-K emerging as the winner of the first round. The six boys smirked as they returned to where the remaining are, bragging about their win against Mysticfire.

“Congrats,” Luhan smiled as Sehun sat down beside him

“Thanks,” Sehun returned the smile.

“Stop acting so cocky,” Xiumin scoffed, “It’s just the first match, plus they weren’t that good.”

“But we still won.”

It was the second match and two other groups went up, the twelve boys sat outside of the court observing how the other groups play.

“Aren’t you taking this a little too seriously?” Tao asked suddenly, eleven pairs of eyes turned to face him, “I mean.. This isn’t a world tournament..”

“Uh-uh no gurl,” Chanyeol snapped his fingers in front of Tao’s face, “This is serious matter to us!”

“Yeah!” Baekhyun agreed, “The winner gets to choose next lesson’s game!”

“Oh my God Bacon, you agreed with me!” Chanyeol gasped and went to hug the boy, but got pushed off instead.

“Don’t touch me Yoda!”

Tao scratched his head in confusion; the students at his old school weren’t as competitive compared to those in XO High. The raven looked at his roommate for an answer.

Kris shrugged, “It just goes this way.”

The whistle was blown, indicating the end of the second match. Mr. Yo strike out the losing team on the board and went to his ‘randomizer’, “Third match, EXO-M vs BananaMonkeys!”

Chen burst out into laughers.

“It’s them,” Kris chuckled as they walked into the court.

“Who?” Tao turned and saw familiar faces walking to the court as well, “Oh.”

“You’re going down!” Xiumin gave a thumb down sign to the opponents, who were from the same class as them.

“You wish!” a tall boy shouted back. Mr. Yo blew the whistle and the match started. A muscular looking boy dashed forward and caught the ball, hurling it towards Tao. Tao eyes widened but regained his composure, dodging the attack by a hair’s breadth and sighed in relief- his quick reflexes saving him; I don’t want to be the first to get eliminated.

Seizing the opportunity, Chen grabbed the ball that was thrown and flung it towards a boy from the opposing team. The boy was busy running around in circles when the ball hit him.

“Yeah!!!!!” Surprisingly, the opposing team cheered along with EXO-M’s members.

“Ji Sukjin, out! Race start!” Chen laughed and hi fived Xiumin.

“Yah!” the boy pouted as he walked off the court, “I wasn’t aware!”

“Just go!”

Sukjin was pushed out of the court by a strong shove and sulked.

“Come here!” Kris shouted as he aimed for a tall boy.

“No!” he shouted back as he dodged the balls thrown at him desperately.

“Yah Kwangsoo! Don’t block me!”

“Just get eliminated already!”

“No I’m no-” Kwangsoo’s sentence was cut short when a ball hit him square in the face.

“HAHAHAHA!” Chen clapped and rolled on the floor.

Tao gasped as he ran forward, “Ah I’m so sorry..” He said as he helped the tall boy up, “Are you hurt?”

“Aish,” the boy sighed as he stood up, “I’ll get my revenge, Zitao.” He glared at Tao playfully, wiping sweat off his brow. Tao chuckled and jogged back to the court, where the game was resumed.

“Ah!” Xiumin exclaimed when a ball hit his leg.

Lay snapped out of his daze and saw a ball rolling towards him, touching his foot.

“Wha?” Lay asked blankly.

“Lay out!” the class’s second comedian, Jaesuk, laughed as he dodged a ball.

Suho sat up straight upon hearing the boy’s name, “Lay out? Ohmigosh. Lay ah! Are you okay?” He shouted at the brunette.

“Yeah I’m okay,” the boy smiled as he returned to the sidelines.

“I told you dodgeball was too dangerous for you!” Suho nagged, “You shouldn’t have played! They play rough you know? Especially that kid Jongkook, just look at his muscles! Fifteen and with rock hard muscles?! That’s madness!”

“It’s fine Suho, I’m not hurt,” Lay patted the boy’s shoulders but the latter shook his head.

“You might have gotten hurt! I’m not taking any chances, if we manage to get into the finals, I’ll eliminate you first to prevent any disas- no, I’ll let you eliminate me, then I’ll tell D.O to softly and carefully eliminate you.” The guardian of EXO continued nagging while the Unicorn sat there quietly, nodding his head with each sentence.


The match between EXO-M and BananaMonkeys lasted for a long ten minutes before the winner was finally announced.

“You’ve improved,” Jongkook patted Kris’s back.

“Thank you,” the leader smiled.

“Gary~”

“Yeah?” The boy turned around and saw a certain ranging leader.

“How dare you eliminate Lay,” Suho grabbed hold of the boy’s collar and stared threateningly into his eyes.

“Wha- I didn’t!” Gary defended himself and inched backwards.

“I’m just kidding,” Suho laughed and released the boy, whom thanked the Gods for being spared from the leader’s nagging.

“You play well for a new student.”

“Thank you Jaesuk,” Tao smiled shyly, pleased by the compliment of the class’s faster runner.

“Your reflexes are really good!” Jaesuk said in amusement, “And agility as well! Why?”

“I learn Wushu since I was young,” Tao said humbly.

“Ah, this fellow knows Wushu,” Jaesuk ran his fingers through his hair, “I must be more aware of you from now on, hmm?”

“Don’t,” Tao shook his head, “I won’t use my skills to harm people, I won’t hurt you.” Tao hated people who use their martial arts skills for fighting and harming people, he once saw a bully doing that and he vowed never to follow that road.

“You’re actually kind despite that scary face,” Kwangsoo entered the conversation.

“Giraffe~!” Chanyeol pointed out and jumped onto his back.

“Eggyeol~!” the two laughed.

"Has everyone forgotten about me?" A short boy stood in the middle with his arms crossed.

"Of course not Pororo!"

"Yeayyyy!" And the eighteen boys started goofing around.


Matches after matches, the final two teams were finally drawn out- EXO-K and EXO-M.

“Heh, you’re going down,” Kai smirked as he cracked his knuckles, facing the other half of the group from afar.

“We’ll see,” came the reply.

The gymnasium was filled with cheers as students betted which team will win, it was a hard choice because all of them were good dodgeball players. After an intense staredown, the whistle was blown and the long awaited match finally begun.


[Author's Notes]

I love playing dodgeball in school :D Though my teacher call it a 'forbidden' sport/game; because it was played to cause shame(?)

I know M stands for Mandarin and K for Korean for the two EXO subgroups, but I decided not to use that explaination in this fanfiction because I think it is boring.. And I ended up not knowing what reasons to give lol OTL

And yehet! Running Man members starr in this chapter! Jihyo isn't here cause she's a girl and XO High is an all boys school.. so yeah. If you want to know the reason why I chose to write RM members instead of other Kpop stars in because I'm kinda new to Kpop (I didn't like Kpop before but EXO got me in) and I don't really know much about the other groups haha..

Thanks for the 69 subscribers, 8 upvotes, 20 comments and 950 views~!
P.S. I love reading your comments and feelings about the story <3