Where we spent most of our time doing nothing

Winter Wonderland

 

 

Arriving at a huge shopping mall, Nara entered it, excited to get out of the cold. “If I knew I’d be coming here today, I would have brought some money…”

Nara walked down the mall and passed a few stores. They were all decorated with fake snowflakes and snow covered in bright, colorful lights. She loved the way the mall looked during this time of year. Everyone seemed happier than usual, spending time shopping with family and friends.

“And we spent every Christmas Eve here looking at the lights and families while drinking hot cocoa,” Nara commented as she walked into a small shop. Sitting at a table, she looked out of the window and began people watching with a smile on her face.

 

“Noona. Hey, noona! Are you daydreaming again?’

 

The little girl snaps back to reality and looks at the little boy beside her.

“Mianhae. I was just looking at all of the happy people shopping,” she smiles at him.

He smiles back and nods. “We’re happy, too, right?” he questions the girl.

She nods with a grin on her face.

“Well, you know what would make me even happier?”  he asks with a sly smile on his face.

The girl narrows her eyes and looks at him. “Hot cocoa?”

The small boy nods happily at her. She chuckles at the overly excited boy and orders two hot chocolates before the two of them leave the shop.

“Noona, do you think we’ll ever get to decorate our house like all of these stores?”

The girl sighs. She knew they would never be able to afford all of these beautiful decorations and lights that surrounded them now. But as she looked at the small boy and saw the hopeful look on his face, she couldn’t bring herself to tell him the truth.

“Of course! One day our house is going to be decorated just as pretty as this and better!” the girl exclaims throwing her hands up high in the air.

The boy’s eyes widen and he smiles brightly. “I can’t wait!”

“Yeah! Me neither!”

The two kids make their way around the mall and admire all of the beautiful lights that surround them, every now and then going into a few stores. All of the shop owners knew the two kids and usually kept a little bag of candy for them. All day long, the two kids walk around the mall, drinking hot chocolate and eating candy.

“Noona, can we go make a wish at the fountain?”

“Sure. Are you ready to go back home, then?”

The boy nods at the girl and the pair make their way toward the fountain in the middle of the mall. The wishing fountain was usually their last stop before going home. It was an enormous fountain right in the middle that sprayed water to almost reach the roof and was filled with coins from other children making wishes. Jongup grinned as he turned his back toward the fountain and closed his eyes.

“I wish….” he whispered before throwing the coin over his shoulder.

Nara smiles and follows his lead. “What did you wish for?”

“If I told you, it wouldn’t come true,” Jongup states with a serious face.

The girl laughs at how serious he is, but quickly stops when she sees him pouting. “Mianhae,” she mutters as she pulls him in for a hug.

“Do you really think our wishes will come true?” Jongup questions the girl.

She hesitates for a moment but nods at him, “Of course they will! We just have to believe!”

 

Nara chuckled as she walked down the hall and past a few shops.

“My wish already came true. A family and friends that would never leave me,” she whispered to herself before taking a sip of her hot chocolate. Walking further and further, Nara eventually made it to the middle of the mall. “Still as amazing as it once was.”

Looking at the fountain, Nara walked up to it and turned her back. Closing her eyes, she threw a coin over her shoulder and grinned brightly. “No wish. Just for old times sake.”

Turning around, Nara looked at the fountain and saw all of the coins in it. She smiled at the sight. Walking around it to the other side, Nara found the next bunny.

“Hmm...I like this one best!” she exclaimed as she picked up the small, black and red bunny.

“It looks kind of mean though,” Nara thought out loud as she looked it up and down.

Grabbing the bunny, she made her way to a small shop. She bought a small backpack and stuffed all of the bunnies into it besides the red one.

“Too many bunnies,” Nara complained as she searched the red one for the next clue.

“You’re almost done! Last clue. The place where I promised.”

“Gukkie...”