Our secret hiding spot

Winter Wonderland

 

Grinning, Nara skipped through the woods and climbed over a few trees that had fallen over the years. She sighed and smiled from ear to ear.

“I don’t remember it being this hard to make it there!” she whined as she climbed over a few more trees. Climbing up a small hill, Nara slowly walked down the other side and admired the view of the secret hiding spot.

“It still looks the same as it did so many years ago,” Nara whispered as she sat down on a log. Before her was a small waterfall, now frozen into icicles that glistened beautifully, and a small river that could only be crossed by jumping from one flat rock to another. “How did we find this place again?”

 

“Look, Youngjae! It’s a cute little bunny! If I catch it do you think umma will let me keep it?” the small girl yells back toward her friend as she runs off after the small critter.

“Nara! Do you really think it’s such a good idea to run off this far from home?” the boy asked, afraid of what might be lurking in the woods.

“We’ll be fine! I promise!”  she assures him, never taking her gaze off of the small bunny.

“It’s so cute! Come on, Youngjae!”  she yells again.

The boy hurries after the older girl, trying to make sure he won’t get left behind. The pair stop in their tracks as the bunny suddenly hops onto a big, flat rock. The girl tilts her head at the bunny and grins. Youngjae’s eyes widen as he realizes what the girl is planning.

“Don’t do it! You might fall!” he warns her, grabbing her arm.

Smiling, she removes his hand. “I won’t. I know what I’m doing, don’t worry.” As soon as she finishes the sentence, she takes off after the bunny. She hops from one rock to another, following it all the way to the other side. Kneeling down, she holds out her hand and calls the little bunny.

“Are you okay over there?” Youngjae yells.

No answer. Just as he is about to start hopping the rocks, the girl reappears with the bunny in her arm, smiling from ear to ear. The boy lets out a sigh of relief and walks up to the riverbank.

“I caught it! It’s really nice and friendly!”

“Good! Please come back now!”

The girl nods at the younger boy and starts hopping the rocks back to the other side with the bunny in her arms.

“See it?” she asks him as she sits down on a log.

“You should pet it!” she adds. The young boy hesitates but eventually pets the small creature smiling.

“It’s fluffy,” he comments with a huge smile on his face. The girl hums in response. “You know umma won’t let you keep it, right? She doesn’t like pets.”

The girl hums once more as she hugs the bunny tight. “Do you think...If I let it go it’ll come back?”

Youngjae shrugs at her. “I don’t know. What if it has a family, too?”

Nara looks at the bunny and her concerned look turns into a sad smile. Slowly, she sets the bunny down onto the grass and watches as it hops off. “Go home and take good care of your family little bunny,” she whispers.

“Hey, maybe if we come back, it will be here to see us!” Youngjae exclaims, trying to make her feel better.

Nara nods at the small boy and looks around. “This place is actually really pretty. We should make this our secret hiding spot!”

 

Nara smiled as she walked over toward the river bank. Looking at the frozen river, she slowly walked over the ice to the other side.

“I knew it,” she whispered as she looked behind the tree, finding another bunny. This one was black and pink.

“Pink?” she chuckled as she sat the other two bunnies down beside her. Taking the tag off of the new one’s neck, Nara began to read the clue.

“Where we always played together”