What we loved to do

Winter Wonderland

*Ding Dong*

 

The door to the small shop made a sound as Nara walked into it, letting the man at the register know about a new customer.

“Hello and welcome to my little video game shop. If you can't find it here -”

“You can’t find it anywhere,” Nara finished the man’s sentence, walking up to the register.

The man smiled brightly when he saw the familiar face. “Nara! It’s been a while! How is everyone?”

“Oh, they’re fine. You know them,” she joked. She started to walk around the store, looking at all of the video games.

 

“Hey, noona. Which game are we getting this time?” the little boy asks the older girl as he searches through a stack of them next to a display case.

The girl shrugs as she looks at the ones displayed on the wall. “I don’t know, but if we use our heads, Yong Guk oppa gave me enough money from umma to buy two!” she exclaims happily, making the boy’s eyes widen.

“Two games? Really?” he asks shocked.

The girl looks at the younger boy and nods, giving him a small smile. “We have to think and count the money right, though,” she points out and the boy nods in agreement. After searching the store for a few minutes, both of them find a game they want.

“Noona, count it. Do we have enough?” the boy asks, concerned, as he hands his game over to the older girl.

After doing the math, her eyes turn from happy to sad. She shakes her head just enough for Daehyun to see it. “No...we’re missing a little bit. It’s not enough,” she sighs, handing the game back to him.

“But…” he starts as he looks down at the game.

Nara could see the disappointment in Daehyun’s eyes. Smiling, she throws her arm over his shoulder and puts her own game back on the shelf.

“Come on. Let’s go buy your game.”

Wide eyed, Daehyun looks up at the older girl and opens his mouth to speak.

“Consider it an early Christmas present,” Nara interrupts before grabbing the game and walking off to the front of the store.

Daehyun stays behind and furiously rummages through the video games, searching for the one the girl just placed back on the shelf. “Aha!”

“Sir! Is there any way we could get this game instead of that one?” Daehyun asks the man behind the register as he tries to catch his breath.

“Did you run over here?” Nara asks Daehyun and he nods in response.

“I think we should get this one,” he says in between breaths.

The man behind the counter grabs the second game and looks at it before smiling.

“No, we don’t. We want this one,” Nara suddenly bursts out as she shoved the first game further onto the counter.

“No, we don’t! That one!” Daehyun exclaims, pointing at the game in the man’s hand. The kids went on like that for a few minutes before the man felt the need to interrupt them.

“Why not get both?”

“We don’t have enough money for both. We’re a little short, and noona wants to get me that game, but she really wants this one. So can we please have noona’s game?” the boy asks softly.

Nara looks at the younger boy and could feel tears form in her eyes. Hugging him close, she smiles at him.

“Thank you, Daehyun. But I don’t need a game, and I know you really want that one.”

“But, noona…”

“Here you go. Two games for two kids,” the man behind the register announces with a smile on his face as he hands them a bag.

Confused, Nara lets go of the younger boy and slowly grabs the bag. “But..”

“You two come here almost every week. You’re my main customers! Don’t worry about it. It’s not like you were far off, anyway. Just take them both,” he insists as he winked at the kids.

“Thank you so much, sir!” Daehyun yells out of excitement.

The man shakes his head at the little boy. “Just let me know if they’re any good!”

 

“Nara, someone left this here for you,” the man finally interrupted her daydreams.

Nara turned around and started to walk toward the counter. “Let me guess. Another bunny?”

The man chuckled and nodded. “Are you collecting them? You already have quite a lot,” he joked, nodding to the three bunnies in her arms.

Nara shook her head, a smile on her face. “No. The boys sent me on a scavenger hunt. I have to find all the clues, and at the end there will be a big reward. I’m guessing it’s my Christmas present.” She whispered the last part.

“Have fun then, Nara. I hope you get something awesome!” the man handed the bunny over to Nara.

She waved goodbye to him as she made her way out of the front door and back into the cold.

“These guys have me running around in the cold on Christmas Eve. If I get sick, they better take care of me,” she muttered to herself, searching for the tag.

“A cute little black and green bunny with a tag around it’s neck. Just like all the others. Only ones left are Jongup and Yong Guk.” Nara grinned as she read the tag, “Definitely Jongup.”

“Where we spent most of our time doing absolutely nothing”