Chapter 7- Tell Me a Story

All My Love is for You

MINHO POV:

I hurried away from the person as fast as I could, hands clenched by my side. How I hated obsessive fangirls! I could still hear her deranged sobbing echoing inside my head, and each step I took on the tiles reminded me of the crack as her head rebounded off the wall. I closed my eyes, sickened. What had I done to that girl? 

When I arrived at my usual seat in the cafeteria, Sooyoung wasn't there. I sat down slowly, dreading the moment that she'd come. How could I calmly eat with the sister of the girl who I'd just hurt? 

But she never did come. I sat alone for a long time, playing with my plate of rice and lamb. The cutlery that I had set out so carefully in front of me sat still on the folded napkin. Slowly, the cafeteria emptied out until I was the last one seated. Waiting, waiting, hoping that maybe she would miraculously turn up like she did the last time. The food turned cold, and the cleaners whisked it away, glaring dissaprovingly at me. 

At last I gave up and, sighing heavily, stood up. I crossed the cafeteria and went off to search for Sooyoung. 

I found her in the courtyard; sitting on a bench under a snow covered tree. She was staring stonily into space and at that moment she seemed so perfect, like she was posing for a magazine photoshoot. I faltered, and was almost tempted to pull out my phone and take a picture of her and capture that still, perfect moment. 

But she turned her head to look at me, and the moment was broken. She looked lost, and not for the first time I felt like holding her to me. 

I went over to her and sat down close to her, feeling the warmth radiating off her body. She sat still for a minute, staring across the courtyard as if in deep thought. Her face bore the expression of someone about to make a big decision. 

Finally, she turned to me and took a deep breath. "Minho. " The way she said my name made my heart ache for her, and I sat higher. 

"I want to tell you a story. It's about a rich man and a poor woman. And how this man did something really terrible to her. So listen carefully." She spoke in a levelled voice, looking into my eyes like she wanted to look into my soul. 

I laughed. "Why? You're like a puzzle. I just can't figure you out sometimes." 

She smiled, a ghost of a smile that played on her lips for half a second, then disappeared as if it were never there. "A puzzle?" She murmured, "I like that. Now listen." 

And so she told me a story, a heart-wrenching story of a woman escaping from a cruel and rich man, a man who had abused her and only loved her for her looks. 

Again, I was puzzled. "So... what was the point of you telling me this story? It was great, but why?" 

She looked almost amused, yet there was something so creepy about her smile. Like she knew something I didn't, knew something behind the story. "Sooyoung?" I pressed. 

"It's a true story, Minho. That man, he was your grandfather. And that woman? Was my grandmother."