Chapter 12- Apologies and Acceptance

All My Love is for You

SOOYOUNG POV:

I enter the house, shivering from the icy wind. I stopped short, seeing Evangeline sitting on the edge of our mattress, eating cold ramen from a lid. She looks sad and pitiful hunched over in the gloom, and once again guilt weighs down my heart. 

Over the last couple of days, Evangeline had been so nice to me that it broke my heart. Despite my coldness towards her, she had been looking out for me. When she saw that I was cold, she placed a jacket over my shoulders. When I was too depressed to eat, she grew concerned and spoon fed me as I lay down. She always waited at the door to walk to school with me, and yesterday when I had left her, she had run out into the cold in her pajamas to give me my lunch. She had been so loving, yet I had only brushed off her kindness. 

And at nights, I lay awake as I felt her body shaking uncontrollably next to me. She never gave anything away, but I felt her wet pillow in the morning and knew she had been crying. And now she looked up at me, smiling as if she was genuinely glad to see me. 

I crossed the room in three long strides and reached down, pulling my sister into an embrace. She tensed for a moment, then relaxed and returned the hug. The tears started, and they just couldn't stop. I pulled her closer and sobbed into her shoulder, even though by now it was soaking wet. "I'm so sorry, so sorry." I murmured shakily into her shirt. I felt her pat my back reassuringly, whispering soothing words into my ear. 

MINHO POV:

I'm still at school, wandering aimlessly through the hallways. Occasionally, I pull my iPhone out of my pocket and flick through the contacts list, thinking. Sooyoung had given me her number earlier today, and I could practically feel its weight in my pocket. I was nervous. My first call to Sooyoung. I take a deep breath, and punch the call button. 

Three minutes later, we (well, mostly me) had arranged to meet at the nearby park. I could feel the nerves as I ran to the park. I wanted to get there before she did. But I was dissapointed to see she had beaten me, although not for long. She sat with her back to me on a swing, gently rocking back and forth. Her hair was being lifted in the breeze, and she sat in a way that suggested she was cold. As quietly as possible, I crept up behind her and catch her in a sudden back hug. Surprised, she jerks in my arms and I'm almost knocked off my feet. She turns around, eyes wide, and starts apologising. I laugh and wrap one arm around her shoulder. "You're cold," I explain as she shoots me a look insecurely. 

Silence. "Sooyoung," I begin, staring into the distance thoughtfully. She looks at me. 

"I like you. A lot. Do you like me?" I can tell she's completely stunned as she catches her breath and stares at me, thinking. Was that too rushed? I wait patiently for her answer, playing with a strand of her hair. 

Finally, she looks into my eyes. Her own beautiful eyes are round and frightened, but she answers me strongly. "I think I do. I really do but-" and here her voice catches, and she looks away. " You know we can't. It's our ancestory. We're-" 

I hold a finger to her trembling lips, silencing her. "It doesn't matter to me what we are. I love you, Choi Sooyoung." With the arm draped across her shoulders I swing her into my chest. She cries out, but buries into my chest anyway. I tenderly hold her, panting slightly, breaths blowing out in ragged gusts. My hands clasp protectively across her back and I can feel her heart beating quickly against me, even through the layers of clothing between us. I have the sudden urge to kiss her, but restrain myself. Don't rush things, I warn myself. 

We somehow manage to peel apart after what seems like ages, and I look lovingly into her eyes. She looks away awkwardly, and I smile, amused. "You're still awkward?" I ruffle her hair and she protests, slapping off my hands. "Minhooo. " she laughs. My heart siezes and I can't help but wrinkle my nose at her cuteness. "Come here. " I lean my shoulder towards her invitingly and she places her head onto it, giggling. Her head fits perfectly under my ear, and it  and everything feels so  perfectly right.