Chapter 10- Maybe It Was Our Fate

All My Love is for You

MINHO POV:

Bar of golden sunlight filtered through the blinds, falling onto my face. I slowly open my eyes, blinking to adjust to the sudden brightness. I sat and and stretched, arms soaring above my head. Today was a new day and, hopefully, a fresh start. I would forget all about my sudden feelings for Sooyoung, passionate as I may have been about her. I try to cleanse my my mind of lingering thoughts of her, and pad down to breakfast. 

Mother was seated at her usual place at the long dining table, picking at the remains of her toast. She seemed pleased to see me and greeted me with her newfound motherly warmness, but it somehow seemed like a mask. And under the mask there seemed to lie a touch of... guilt. I could sense it in the way she awkwardly hugged me and averted my gaze. But what could she have done to feel guilty for?

We somehow manage to finish breakfast peacefully, with Mum occasionally prodding me with useless questions like, "Are you happy with school?", and, "Do you miss your father?." Each time, I shook off her question impatiently. She had never needed to know about this stuff before. Why now?

As I slipped out the door, she grabbed my elbow between her fingers, stopping me. "I've fired your tutor. You'll be taught by another one from now on." 

I stared at her, speechlesss. For a moment, I was furious, and felt like lashing out at her and scream out. But after several seconds of shocked silence, I beamed at her and shrugged nonchalantly. "Great. I was just going to ask you to anyway. See ya Mum." And I casually climbed into the waiting limousine. As we roared out of the driveway, I peered out of the window to see my mother's reaction. As expected, she looked completely dismayed that I had dismissed her news so easily. And I smiled at myself, knowing that I had finally scored a point against her. I wanted to prove to her, but more importantly myself, that I could forget about Sooyoung. 

But that proved to be a hell of a difficult task as the day proceeded. I kept catching glimpses of Sooyoung as she drifted through the hallways, waited outside a classroom or laughed along with her friends. Every time I saw her, she looked even more perfect than usual, and I almost called out her name before the pang in my chest reminded me of our distance. I could only stare longingly from afar, chest tightening. 

During assembly, there was an announent for the dance-off tryouts. The dance-off was held every year at our school, and included all types of dance; hip hop, ballet, waltz, group dances. Every year I would slump in my seat as the details were read out, but today I listened attentively as the school captain boomed out the details. It would be a great opportunity to take my mind off things, plus... I knew I could dance fairly well. So at the end of assembly, I was one of the eager two dozen students hustling and shoving to place their name on the sheet of paper. I managed to squeeze in my name at one of the bottom places, but I stopped still, staring at the name at the very top of the page. Choi Sooyoung? I cursed. What was doing here? Since when did she DANCE?? 

I paused, raising my pen to scribble out my ne, but a tough-looking senior wrenched the pen out of my hand and pushed me out of the way. Defeated, I staggered away, rubbing a bruise on my arm tenderly. Maybe it was our fate. And anyway, I couldn't deny it- I was ecstatic. I couldn't wait to see her... dancing!! 

Later, I found myself in my room dancing along to a simple dance tutorial that I had discovered on YouTube. It was so ridiclous that I was choking with laughter halfway through. Here I was, the famous Choi Minho, being instructed by a blonde, athletic American -accented woman in leggings and a polo shirt and not having a clue what I was doing. Eventually, though, (after two hours and several times rewinding the video), I perfected the dance. I was proud of myself, felt as if I had achieved something. Thanks Glenda, I thought, grinning at the woman on the screen. 

SOOYOUNG POV:

Why I had put down my name for the dance-off, I may never know. Maybe it was to prove to myself that I was capable of achieving something other than acing a test for once. Mostly, though, I knew it was to take my mind off Minho. Because I had been thinking about him a lot, way too much to be healthy. His soft brown lips, his deep laugh, his sturdy arms that had been wrapped around me so warmly, and those eyes... Those confused, accusing eyes, pleading me to stay. Whenever I remembered them, I always wanted to break down and run back into his arms. 

I was clueless about what I should do for my dance routine. The only thought in my mind when I did sit down to brainstorm was that I wanted to do a partner dance with Minho. Psch. Like he wants to even dance, let alone with YOU, my inner devil laughed. But you can dream, can't you? I smiled gratefully as my inner angel protested. 

I COULD dream, couldn't I? Dream big.