Chapter 4- Loving You is My Pain

All My Love is for You

SOOYOUNG POV:

I slept restlessly that night, awaking many times from bloody nightmares to stare at my sister beside me. Where had these nightmares suddenly come from? I know where, I think bitterly. But I shake away the evil thoughts crowding my mind and slip back under the blanket, burying into my sleeping sister.

It had shocked me when she suddenly announced to me that she had had a crush on Minho. It shouldn't have been that surprising, considering his charms and popularity among girls. But it was so unpredictable that Evangeline, my sweet and innocent little sister, would have an interest in my guy.

Because that's what I had always thought of him as, right from the moment he starte high school. I just didn't want to give him up to my sister, despite how much I loved her. We had always gotten along so well; we'd lived a poor life from the start, so we always depended on each other for survival. It seemed so silly to have to compete with her for the guy I liked. Should I have to? Would I have to?

I eventually slipped into a sound sleep, and was shook awoke by Evangeline early in the morning. We dressed in the early morning chill, hugged our sleeping mother then headed to school. But somehow it felt different, odd, like our mutual feelings for Minho had changed something in our relationship. And maybe it had, because when we parted ways at the school gate that morning, I didn't reply to her when she called goodbye. She looked at me curiously, then walked off to class. 

I stomped off, my footsteps ringing loudly on the concrete. I was angry, both at myself for dismissing her so coldly, and at the impossibility that we could ever be together. Because there was one huge reason why, and I was one of the only people to know about it. And it hurt me so much to think that... I scolded myself and stomped onwards through the snow. 

After school, I usually meet my sister to walk home together, but today I walked alone, without her by my side. I faltered a few times, but managed to make it home alone. Usually, when we arrived home Evangeline would bang around in the kitchen and cook for us both. Now, I just went to sleep empty-bellied. 

I couldn't sleep for a while, and when Evangeline arrived home an hour later, she came to my side and gently asked me what was wrong. She clutched a bowl of porridge in her hands, looking concerned. She reached out a hand to smooth my hair like I so often did for her. I turned to face the wall so that she wouldn't see the angry tears running down my face.