Miracle

Winter Ends
 
 


_______________________________________________________________
                                                                                                     "A Miracle during the winter.."

 

 

Kyungsoo is panting, his heart is racing, and he is almost stumbling on his way but he continues to run as he can. Only one thing is registered in his head.

 

Jongin woke up. Jongin woke up. Jongin woke up. He’s fine now.

 

The nurse called their work telephone, telling him that Jongin moved and that’s all it took before Kyungsoo finds himself dashing out of the building even without hearing the rest of what the nurse had to say.

 

Kyungsoo keeps on running, not minding the cars that could possibly hit him. The only thing running in his head now is the thought of seeing Jongin. He wants to be the first person Jongin sees when he wakes up.

 

He has to be the first person.

 


 

Kyungsoo gulps the lump in his throat as he tries to register what the person in white lab coat is telling him. He stares at the man, his eyes stinging as he tries to register what the man is telling him but he hears nothing. It’s as if the world went on mute and everything is in slow motion. All he can hear is the ringing in his head. Only one thing registers in his head.

 

Comatose.

 

Kyungsoo was not able to go to school; he and Jongin have always been tight on their budget. Going to school was never part of their life plan. He does not understand what other things the doctor is telling him, all he understood is that Jongin is under comatose.

 

Kyungsoo shakes his head as if to bring himself to reality. His mouth is a bit ajar as he looks around with wide eyes, looking for that certain man he knew should be standing somewhere and smiling at him.

 

“No… no.. No! You’re lying! Jongin is not hurt! Why are you lying?! Don’t you know it’s bad to speak ill of others! You’re lying! You’re lying!”

 

Kyungsoo shoves past the doctor and desperately looks for Jongin everywhere.

 

“Jongin! Jongin’a! Jongin!”, he desperately calls for Jongin as he opens every room, slides past every curtains in search of his beloved. Two male nurses came to stop him, grabbing him as he tries to get away from them.

 

“I’m sorry, Mr. Kyungsoo. It was a strong collision.”, the doctor says as he tries to calm down the man that is out of control.

 

Kyungsoo felt like his heart is being pricked by a needle.

 

“No! You’re all lying! Jongin is not hurt! He promised to come back home early today!” Kyungsoo keeps on screaming as he punches and kicks just to get himself out of the nurses’ grip but he’s losing is energy now. “You’re lying! You’re lying…”, Kyungsoo sobs as he weakens, the substance they injected him with slowly having its effect on him.

 

“He promised me.. he promised..”, Kyungsoo sobs as darkness envelopes his vision.

 

_________

 

There was a dry trail of tears on Kyungsoo’s cheeks. He wakes up to the pain his whole body, most specifically his heart. His brow knits as he looks around him. He’s in a white room and there’s a curtain on both his sides. Suddenly remembering what happened, Kyungsoo sits up hastily, not minding the pain in his back.

 

“Jongin.”, He yanks the curtain on his right to the side and the sight that welcomes him breaks his heart into pieces.

 

Jongin was lying on a bed, tubes attached to his body to help him breathe and to provide him with the blood he lost. Kyungsoo looked to the side and sees the machine indicating Jongin’s heart beat. It was slow, so slow that it makes Kyungsoo break down in tears.

 

Kyungsoo spent the next two hours crying on the floor as he tries to silence himself. He tried to stop but he could not. All he could mutter in tears is Jongin’s name.

 

“Jongin.. Jongin..Jongin..”

 

_________

 

Jongin and Kyungsoo dreamt of a happy life together. Kyungsoo was contented with the simple they are living in. But Jongin was not contented. He wanted to provide Kyungsoo everything. He wanted to provide Kyungsoo with a huge house that can bring warmth to Kyungsoo during winter, a car where he can drive Kyungsoo where he wants to go, a business restaurant where Kyungsoo can apply his majestic cooking skills. He does not want Kyungsoo getting tired every day. With this in mind, Jongin worked twice or even a hundred times more than he did. He took 4 jobs without Kyungsoo’s knowing.

 

That day, Jongin were to receive his first paycheck from the five-star hotel he is working at as a valet. Kyungsoo did not know that Jongin knows how to drive but he does not question this. Instead he gives Jongin a loving kiss as the latter bids him goodbye, promising him to come home early for their little celebration.

 

Jongin did not come home that night.

 

_________

 

 

“It was a strong vehicle collision at the parking lot area, although the space was not too wide but his car flipped once and Mr. Jongin received the most damage. It severely damaged his brain, causing him to be in a vegetative state. ”, the doctor explains to a Kyungsoo that is staring at nowhere, eyes distant as if he does not hear or see anything.

 

It took them a few hours to coax the man to stop crying. He has not even eaten a meal since last night. The doctor felt strange, the patient and his guardian refuse to tell them their family names but he does not question it and he sits beside Kyungsoo, patting him twice on the shoulder in attempt to comfort him.

 

“I know this is hard for you, but you need to stay strong; at least for Mr. Jongin. He needs you to be the strong for him. Do not give up. There’s still possibility that he will wake up soon.”

 

‘He will wake up soon..’

 

Kyungsoo looks at the doctor, trying to think if he should trust the doctor’s words. But aren’t those words what he wants to hear? That Jongin could still wake up? That Jongin can still come back to him?

 

Face empty with emotions, Kyungsoo stands up and slowly, with his trembling legs, walks over towards Jongin. Tears immediately started to trickle down his cheeks as he felt his chest being filled with sharp little splinters of ice.

 

He was not ready for this. He was not ready to wake up every day in their cold empty bed. He was not ready to wake without Jongin’s warmth, and hug, and kisses. He was not ready to live his life alone.

 

“Please don’t leave me..”, he pleaded.

 

But there was no one to respond to him. He fell down on his knees, sobbing and placing his fisted hand over his chest as the pain engulfs his heart again, breaking his heart once more into pieces, his world getting surrounded by darkness and he feared there is no way out.


 

 

His heart was pounding against his chest as he bursts into the room. He tries to collect himself as he makes his way towards Jongin’s bed. He could not afford to get Jongin his room and so all he could get him is a room, sharing it with two other patients. He bows his apologies to the other patients sharing the room with Jongin as he passes them.

 

He stops on his track when he sees Jongin, still lying on his bed.

 

“What happened?”, he asks the nurse who is writing on his record book. The nurse looks up at Kyungsoo for a moment before going back to what she is writing.

 

“Congratulations Mr. Kyungsoo, the patient has shown signs of movement. We still have to do a few more scans and examine him well before we can conclude but there is a slightly bigger possibility that he will recover soon.”

 

Kyungsoo does not answer as he stares at Jongin who is lying on the bed. Different emotions are churning deep inside him and the only thing he could muster up is Jongin’s name.

 

Tears trickle down his cheeks as he walks next to Jongin, grasping his hand and kissing its back as he whispers thousands of ‘thank you’.

 

That night, as he goes back to his work, he thanks God for the miracle that has happened.

 

Jongin is coming back to me.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

_______________________________________________________________

credits to: ( h a r l e q u i n. )