Birth day

Winter Ends

 


_______________________________________________________________
                                                                                             

 

Do Kyungsoo was born on January 14 while Kim Jongin was born on January 12. They both don’t know what year they were born for they were both abandoned by their parents at a young age. It being the day between both their birthdays, they have agreed that they will celebrate their birthday on the same day. Their new birth date is January 13.

 

 

 

 

 

Today is January 13.

 

 

 

 

It is cold outside. The warmth of the heater inside the building gave color to Kyungsoo’s pale face as he makes way to the specific room he intends to spend the night to. He had a hard time excusing himself from his bosses for the special event that day and even if there is a blizzard starting outside as the snow falls heavier, he walked his way there. Because that day is special. For him. For Jongin.

 

Stopping in front of the door, Kyungsoo tries to fix his coat, his hair, the birthday hat he is wearing with one hand and blew his cheeks with his eyes closed. The sadness in his eyes completely disappears as he opens them, at the same time sliding open the door. A wide heart-shaped smile forms in his lips as he sticks his head first inside the room.

 

“Jongin’a?”, His eyes scans the room.

 

 

 

 

No one answers.

 

 

 

 

Kyungsoo lets out a shaky breathe as he steps in completely into the room, the smile in his face never fading. He stood at the middle of the room and began singing the birthday song.

 

생일 축하합니다

 

생일 축하합니다

 

사랑하는 종인는

 

생일 축하합니다~

 

“Happy birthday to us!!!”, he greeted in a high-pitched voice. It hurt his ears.

 

 

 

 

But there was no answer.

 

 

 

 

“Jongin’a, guess what I have for our birthday this year?”, He asked in an excited voice. He looks at the man. His smile fades.

 

 

 

 

Still, there was no answer.

 

 

 

 

Kyungsoo lets out a shaky breath again. His heart-shaped smile appears again.

 

“TADAAAAAA!”, He skipped beside the bed where the man is as he shows him the chocolate cake he bought from the ahjumma store near their apartment. “A CAKE! A CAKE A CAKE!”, He smiles even more as he places the cake unto the bedside table. They’ve been wanting to have a cake on their birthday but they cannot afford to spend money for it. Both their salaries add together is not even enough for their everyday meals and house expenses. Having a cake is already a luxury that they cannot afford.

 

“The ahjumma in the cake shop gave it to us because she found out it is our birthday today! For free, Jongin, for free!”, he glances at the man.

 

 

 

 

There was still no answer. Silence fills the room.

 

 

 

 

He stifles a whimper as he looks at the unchanging facial expression of Jongin. It was painful; too painful for him to bear the sight of seeing Jongin lying on that bed like a dead person.

 

I’m not going to cry tonight. It’s our birthday. I’m not going to cry.

 

He knows Jongin can hear him. The last thing he would want is for Jongin to see him crying on their birthday. He needs to be strong in front of Jongin. So that Jongin would also fight alongside him, and get better soon.

 

“I also made us a Kimchi Spaghetti.. It’s your favorite..”, the last part came as a whisper.

 

 

 

 

Only the beeping of the machine can be heard.

 

 

 

 

It hurts.

 

Kyungsoo looks up to the ceiling as he blinks  away the tears threatening to flow down his cheeks. He misses walking on an frozen lake with Jongin. He misses throwing snow balls with Jongin. He misses building a snowman with Jongin. He misses eating the small amount of Kimchi spaghetti that they can afford on their birthday. Above all, he misses his touches, his warmth, and his voice that sounds like a melody to him.

 

I miss you.

 

Jongin was there. He has always been there. But it felt like he isn’t.

 

Kyungsoo looks at Jongin, sniffling  and wiping his tears as quickly as he can. He shouldn’t be crying on their birthday.

 

“Jongin’a.. I made us a Kimchi Spaghetti.. and we have the cake we’ve always wanted to try.. so please.. please wake up now? Please?”, his voice cracked as tears trickle down his cheeks.

 

Please.

 

Please.

 

 

 

 

There was no answer.

 

 

 

Kyungsoo leans down and kisses Jongin on the forehead.

 

 

 

“I still love you, Jongin.”

 

 

 

A tear drops onto Jongin's cheek.

 

 

 

"Please come back."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

_______________________________________________________________

(A/N). I used a  new layout because it's so cute *u*

credits to: ( h a r l e q u i n. )