Makeshift Sky

Leisure Professor
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I was lying on the couch, listening to my pulse just so I could tune everything—thoughts about Mino leaving, six months without him and how I’d possibly be able to put up, and then some more about him leaving—out when all the lights put out.

I blinked, and sat up, panic somehow took over my veins. My eyes took a little while to adjust to the darkness, and I could finally trace the silhouettes and shadows the furniture made.

Mino was in the kitchen then, probably helping himself to a glass of water, and he called out to me the same time I called to him.

“Byul?” There was an edge in his tone.

I breathed a sigh of relief.

I heard his hurried footsteps then, and listened as they obviously weren’t leading to me. I lifted my head up, and watched as Mino opened the door to my little balcony and went out.

He stayed there for a second before he stuck his head in and motioned me towards him.

I willingly stood up, and made my way over.

I immediately saw it, the darkness that crept its way all over this part of the city. The buildings and houses around us also had their share of power cut.

But Mino didn’t have me come over because of that.

“Look,” he pulled me close to him, put a hand on my nape, and he made me look up.

Stars were my thing, and even though I tried to make a habit of looking up to the skies and looking for those little lights, it hadn’t always been possible, mainly because it was too bright down here.

I could see them clearly now, and the sky had never felt so infinite—if ‘so’ ever belonged before ‘infinite’.

One thing, however, made my eyes turn away from the stars: Mino.

He looked amazed that he thought of it as soon as he did. A smile tugged at his lips, and he appeared as tranquil, and genuinely happy, and other adjectives I wasn’t and could never be.

I could envy him for that, but I didn’t. I was contented watching, as Mino’s brightness gleamed just beside me. Our worlds were too close that his brightness was enough to light mine.

And I stood there, realizing probably one of the most important things in life.

We need to be in the d

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter