The Advice and the Clumsy

Partners?

Chapter 9: The Advice and the Clumsy

 

“Ji hyo, will you stop moving?” the stylist said for the umpteenth time, snapping her finger to wake up the actress from her reverie. “Sorry unnie, can you make it more --”

 

“I know, gosh. Are you sure you’re going to film or you’re going on a date?” as expected the stylist didn’t get an answer but that smile on Ji hyo’s face was more than enough to confirm some things. “Wait, Ji hyo… who is it?” The actress shrugs.

 

The older woman frowned and continued to attack Ji hyo’s hair, taming the strands with her mighty comb. She wasn’t exactly sure how the team – her, an assistant and the manager – ended up so busy preparing for Running Man filming since dawn. The last time they had to do that kind of extensive preparation was during Mandate of Heaven and it was because traditional clothes and hair takes hours, but now it makes sense.

 

The people around Ji hyo had this feeling that they can’t voice out, nor did they dare to do so. Usually during filming day, Ji hyo doesn’t even take an hour before she’s ready to go. They were itching to get a name but the actress gave off this aura telling them not to.

 

“Anyway, I will go to the set by myself. You guys can take the van.” she announced after the team was done with her. Ji hyo didn’t offer any more explanation, hiding once again behind her blank expression. The staff around her sighed but didn’t ask. It was rare that Ji hyo would let them doll her up and they had always teased that she wouldn’t let them do their job so now they couldn’t really complain.

 

If they can’t ask, why not tease? “How are you going to the set then? I don’t remember the Pds saying anything about transportation… so who, I mean how are you --” the manager let the question hang in the air, trying not to laugh as they caught the actress’ little plan. Ji hyo pushes the team out of her unit with a knowing smile and no answers again. “Don’t worry about it.”

 

“Who –”

 

All they got was a grin and the door closing in on them.

 

“Do you know who the guy is?” the stylist asked the manager.

 

“I got no idea but he’s definitely a Runner.” They eyed the assistant who only shrugged.

 

“I’m just the assistant… what could I know?”

 

>/////<

 

Ji hyo checked her reflection one more time beaming at herself. She looked nice. Ji hyo wondered how he’d react seeing her. She knows everyone is used to her appearing with her messed up hair, puffy eyes, shirt and jeans –

 

She lets out a groan, feeling the urge to go erase the paint in her face and throw on a baggy coat, her usual jeans and running shoes plus more layers of clothes. It’s freezing outside and she looks like she’s going out for… for… a … d.a.t.e. She’s wearing too many colors in her face and too few clothes sending her running back to her room.

 

now I’m late…

 

As if on cue, the doorbell rang.

 

Ji hyo almost stumbled on the floor as she wrestled with clothes. She found a shirt, threw on a cardigan, then a vest. It’s warm enough but too mismatched. She was struggling with the shoelace when the door to her room opened and she looked at her visitor with a horrified expression.

 

“Umm, what are you doing Ji hyo?”

 

It was her manager and she sighed in relief. Of course, it was impossible for Jong kook to actually go up. “Yah! You scared the hell out of me!”

 

“We forgot something and why are you tangled up in the floor?”

 

“Why did you ring the doorbell?”

 

“Nothing… who were you expecting?” the manager gave Ji hyo the look and she knew she’d have to spill it.

 

Now the manager’s gaping and speechless after hearing that name. “Don’t tell me you two are dating? I knew it! God, I knew it wasn’t normal. Oh god, you two – seriously!”

 

That wasn’t the reaction Ji hyo expected, but it did make her curious. “Hey aren’t you exaggerating too much?” she says when her manager continued her litany of I-knew-its.

 

“Me? I’m exaggerating? Ji hyo did you see how that man looks at you?” the other woman let out a laugh, shaking her head and flailing her arms as she speak, “I didn’t say a thing because I didn’t know you’re interested, but really… even the blind knows he has a thing for you!”

 

How? When it took her a long time to notice it? Were they that obvious?

 

“Yes for god’s sake, you two were wa-ay too obvious. Anyway, it’s a good thing I came back. Now let us make you look decent without overdoing it…” they spent the next minute in silence. Ji hyo let herself be dressed up. Soon the manager was humming Christmas carols and Ji hyo was daydreaming.

 

 “You know Ji hyo, if you weren’t yet…” did her manager actually winked and smirked.

 

“…Date him…”

 

>/////<

 

At exactly nine, her car came into view. She jumped to her feet and tried not to smile so widely but failed miserably. She tucked a wayward strand of hair behind her ear and clenched her bag tightly. Ji hyo hurried out of the lobby, thankful that she changed clothes when she finally felt the cool outside air.

 

“Anyeohaseyo –” she almost frowned seeing Gap Jin instead of the commander. Where was Jong kook? The manager chuckled then a hand rested on her shoulders. She turned around abruptly to see her oppa smiling at her, cradling a big paper bag in his arms like a baby.

 

“I brought breakfast… I really like the steamed buns they sell in front of the church.” He opened the door and let her hop in before following suit. Ji hyo held out her hand and he placed a small package from the bag in her palms. He handed Gap Jin a piece too and put the rest away.

 

“You buying me stuff, I could get used to this.” she inhaled the delicious aroma realizing she was actually hungry and she haven’t had breakfast yet. “I think I can also use an extra of this.”

 

“Don’t worry I’m prepared… and you are welcome to get used to this. I don’t plan on stopping soon.” Ji hyo almost choked but pretended to be so absorbed in eating. Since when has Jong kook learned to speak like that? “How did you know about these buns? I’ve lived here for years and I had never seen it.” she joked, remembering how he last night of wandering around.

 

“Hmm, let’s just say… it’s not my first time in the area.”

 

“What are you doing roaming around Ilsan oppa? Are you a stalker?”

 

“I’m not a sasaeng… a fan – maybe.” Jong kook smiled and Ji hyo was hit with a realization. She took a bite too big and faced another choking matter that she was able to mask away again, thankfully.

 

When Ji hyo noticed she was the only one eating, she tore a portion and offered it to Jong kook, cursing herself for her ability to make everything even more awkward and for acting like a teen.

 

…Date him…

 

 How she cursed her evil manager for putting the idea in her head. And how she hated the fact that she was willing to do the little advice. Now she can’t take it back – her hand of course (and her thoughts.)

 

“It’s okay Ji hyo-yah… I ate already.” But she can’t take it back anymore.

 

…Date him…

 

Damn it!

 

Jong kook sighed and obliged, he leaned to her side. He lowered his mouth to the piece of food and -- Gap Jin suddenly chose the moment to step on the break, hard.

 

Jong kook momentarily lost his balance and found his mouth on her finger, blinking rapidly. He couldn’t open his mouth and pull away because the food will drop so he had no choice but to slide his lips along her finger to pull off, accidentally having a very intimate contact with her digit. He grew bright red and quickly withdrew, staring out of the window while his manager snickered on front.

 

Ji hyo swallowed. She looked down on her bun, avoiding the sight of her finger. She could still feel it. His lips, his warm, wet mouth… great. They had slept together and now he had his mouth on her. Completely innocent but easily misunderstood. She felt a warm fuzzy feeling at the pit of her stomach but tried to ignore it as curses flooded her brain and that damned advice.

 

…Date him…

 

The ride to the filming location had gone awfully quiet. She finished her bun. The burning feeling was still there. Despite the thoughtfully prepared tea, still felt parched. And suddenly she was wearing too many layers of fabric. And the stupid idea wouldn’t go away.

 

…Date him…

 

Ji hyo swear she could already hear some evil laughter in her head, but it wouldn’t mask the other phrase. Ji hyo had never felt such strong desire to kill someone in her whole life until that moment.

 

…Date him…

 

…Date him…

 

 


thanks for reading :)