Sherlock and Watson

Partners?

“Hyung, you know what?”

 

“What?” he retorted with irritation at Gwang soo who was unfortunately alone with him in jail. Jong kook was ousted too early because he was distracted. He couldn’t deny that the finger incident had affected him in an inappropriate way. Add up the other things that happened recently and one could say he’s in trouble. Well not really trouble but it is for him.

 

Thoughts and memories were all swimming inside his head causing a big confusing complication making him act differently.

 

The story behind those buns was quite simple. He made himself sound as if he’s stalking around Ilsan but actually, it’s the result of the team carpools. Sometimes they do it not only for missions but also because of bets and simply for the fun of it. It’s a joke – because it’s hilarious to drive miles away to fetch each other, have impromptu road trips. Laugh at the person who woke up earliest just to drive to the other side of Seoul for the silliest of reasons. Often he has to wait around for her especially when it’s early so he uses that time to explore the neighborhood. Besides, sometimes they all hang out in her place.

 

About that sleeping together issue. There was a time when Ji hyo asked him a favor to attend an event in her place. After the program, she invited him for dinner at her place since they didn’t want to be spotted eating out without the others. It was standard precaution and they didn’t think of anything malicious about it. They camped out together in her room watching movies and eating snacks (only juice for him and nuts) waiting for the sudden rain to stop. Even if they were alone with each other, it wasn’t awkward nor did it occur to them to do that thing. The storm got worst and it was late so Jihyo told him to stay the night. And that’s it about them sleeping together – it was just a sleepover worded out wrongly in his drunken state – nothing else.

 

He drank coffee for her last night knowing it’s not anymore because of their friendship. He also wanted to know, curious if there was something there between them beyond friendship. He wasn’t getting enough sleep for weeks. He’s not eating too well and he’s spending too much time on the gym. His dongsaengs even kept on joking he’s on menopausal stage with his mood swings. He was just confused, even scared, because he wasn’t sure when or why things have changed… it’s even scarier that he knows already what changed.

 

One awkward question and it all tumbled down. They were suddenly conscious of their actions before and their interactions now had a different color on them. They’re so lost not knowing if they want forward or backward... if there's really something before or if it's just now. He wanted to be with her but he also knows you don't just start dating in the field just because of attraction, especially if they are your friend. She wasn't the first woman whom he had to pass even if he feels something for them. If he thinks he could live with it, he'd rather not act on his feelings.

 

“Hyung… you know, there was this drama.” Gwang soo inched closer and lowered his voice even though their VJs had already stopped filming them. “The lead said, if you think it happened yesterday look at the day before yesterday… if not the day before the day yesterday…” Gwang soo repeated day and yesterday a few more times, got lost somewhere and went into nowhere. Jong kook fired him a look that made the girin wince. “Hyung, I’m just saying… before that d-day, if you consider the days before that, you might find something interesting.”

 

“What d-day are you talking about?” The young man sighed, hesitated once and twice and threw Jong kook a meaningful glance. The hyung looked away after realizing his dongsaeng was talking about that fateful day.

 

“Just try hyung. Before the day when you realized everything suddenly changed, think about the days before that… maybe that’s where the answers are.”

 

“Gwang soo are you sure a drama like that even existed?”

 

“I’m in the middle of reading its script, so yes hyung. It does.”

 

>/////<

 

Ji hyo stared at the scene before her, watching one of her favorite moments in Running Man. She was tracing back where they had started. Recently some thoughts were bothering her. She wanted to know when or why her best friend suddenly became something else in her life.

 

She only wanted to make sure it’s not because of that weird drunk talk or because her manager and told her to date him. She just needed to know what she really feels and right now, she’s too confused. Ji hyo just couldn't trust herself in this even if she had always been proud of knowing what she wanted.

 

She likes him but she's not yet sure how much or how far she wants to go with him. All she knows is it's serious because she can't see the end yet. Jong kook had that kind of effect on her that is not entirely bad. She hated corny stuff and she couldn't believe she'd say this, but Jong kook swept her off her feet with that sudden coffee visit last night. He was a storm she would willingly be stranded on, a risk worth trying. 

 

Another girl will tell her if he couldn't say his feelings in her face, run away from him. But she wouldn’t because she knows him well. Ji hyo knows he's taking this slowly and weighing their odds not wanting to make a mistake. Ji hyo knows he cares and he wouldn't want to hurt her or to lose what they had, because she's doing the same.

 

She paused the video, replayed and stared at Jong kook who was saying she’s pretty. Somehow, it feels familiar, as if it’s not a rare-one-time-moment.

 

The first time he said that, she wasn’t sure if it was because he needed her on his team or he meant it in another, more personal, way. She wasn’t even sure she wanted the latter but thinking about it, strangely made her hope.

 

She wants something, maybe his acknowledgement or confirmation and she equated that to how it is between siblings. He was her older brother and she wanted him proud of her. Maybe to have his attention. They were just friends but also, in some cases, competitors. Her competitive streak hungers for a match that she found in him. That's basically their relationship and he saying she’s pretty is shaking up their foundation.

 

It was their secret, personal game. A dynamics that others will not easily accept or understand since they’re supposed to be a family, it’s just variety… but that was part of the thrill. It’s one of the things that made them closer. They both enjoy this. Still, those words… despite the cameras, despite everything… it’s so not how they are but it’s not entirely unpleasant and the possibilities of those words were somehow thrilling too in their own way.

 

She giggled and wished she could restrain her smile.

 

Tell me again oppa.

 

Pretty Ji hyo, I need only you today… I don’t need anyone else but you pretty one…

 

How she wished it’s true or maybe not.

 

How she wished he really meant it, even just a little bit but she’s not really sure.

 

But then after a while the hype faded away. They never mentioned it after that and no one really commented about it. She buried it, tucked away in some chest inside her subconscious that she pulls out to look at when she gets sad.

 

 

 

The next time that he heard those words was unexpected. Chang Joo called her to the studio and she wondered if JYJ was releasing another album. She never really wanders down the music branch of the agency, unless she’s supporting the boys.

 

She went there and ended up supporting, not her dongsaengs, but a man she knew well.

 

He was in a booth, wearing a tight fitted long sleeved black shirt. His eyes were closed, a big headphone was on his head that would have looked rather silly to an average man but it’s Jong kook. There’s nothing average in the man. After the visual attack to her senses, she realized what was happening or rather, what she’s hearing.

 

You were so pretty and your eyes were very beautiful then,

You stole my heart the moment that I met you

You are so gorgeous.

You’re lovely when smiling

You stole my heart the moment that I met you



He opened his eyes and their gazes locked for a while before Chang Joo coughed a little bit louder than was necessary. Was it her imagination or did he really look like he was singing… singing for her?

 

No, right?

 

But that gaze… she wanted to hope and that gleam in his eyes says... it's okay.

 

 

 

 

…But she’s actually very pretty and different from other women I had met. We’re good colleagues…

…But she has a boy friend…

 

What is she even hearing?

 

Why would he say that in television and chose another woman anyway… not that she wanted him to choose her in that ideal world cup. That will be very scandalous, but still… why did he have to say those things and make her hope again?

 

It’s not as if he will hurt her if he didn’t justify his choice. Well maybe a little disappointed. But they are friends.

 

Partners… right? 

 

>/////<

 

“What are you doing?” Gap Jin said peering at Jong kook’s face. The muscled man was on his back in the sofa, his hands clasped and resting on his stomach. He was staring at the ceiling his gaze intense enough you'd think he's trying to burn a hole on the concrete.

 

“Hey Jong kook?”

 

“Shh, I’m time travelling Gap Jin-ah.”

 

The manager nudged his charge who curled up to give him some space. Gap Jin sat at the very edge, checked Jong kook’s temperature and after finding it normal, the manager got even more worried.

 

“Cut it out Gap Jin.”

 

“Do you need medicine or are you feeling hurt somewhere… maybe I should get you proper dinner and force you to eat.”

 

Jong kook made a clucking noise and shook his head. He was physically fine but his mind is bursting with chaos… and maybe his heart too has some problems since it wouldn’t let him sleep. “I realized some things… going back in time. Swimming in my memories. I’m such a fool.

“I had this illusion that I’m the Sherlock of the team and that I’d see things right away. I thought I can be a decent detective but I never realized my Watson and Moriarty is in just one person… then, I realized, I am not even Sherlock. I am Watson Gap Jin and she’s Sherlock, drawing me in with her brilliance but she's also my Moriarty – it’s a relationship that can’t just happen. She's screaming danger and thrills, my perfect combination -- the person and his alter ego active at the same time.”

 

This time the manager was openly scratching his head and contemplating hard if he needs to call an ambulance. “Do you want me to cook anything or buy more chicken? Drive you to gym maybe?”

 

“No. I’m not sick. I’m feeling lazy.”

 

“Now that’s even more terrifying.”

 

“I’m fine… lemme just think.” The manager finally conceded and left hesitantly. Gap Jin ended up calling some people for help.

 

 

More than ten, more than 20 or more than a hundred or a million.

 

She looks so pretty, she’s too pretty. Those thoughts had been in his head for so many times he couldn’t count it anymore. She even looks prettier everytime he sees her, how is that even possible or fair?

 

He’d gotten so used to it to even realize what those words can mean. He couldn’t even pinpoint when her being beautiful changed from a fact into something more. Her aesthetical quality is not just because she is… it also includes her being the Ace. It also includes the way she goes bad Ji hyo, her manners, her habits, her story, the real Seung Im -- he’s got it really bad.

 

She’s not just appealing because she’s pretty physically… it’s more than that. It’s too complex and maybe trying to understand and contain it is impossible. It was like having a small dose of poison slowly spreading in his veins. He wasn’t aware of it until it’s too late. And even if letting the poison stay in his system will kill him, he didn’t want the antidote.

 

He didn’t want to cure himself of her.

 

 


The two Ace detectives of Running Man trying to find out where things got messy between them. I personally loved this chapter because of my Sherlock feels so thanks for reading and sorry for the Sherlock references.