Breaking Down Walls

Struck By Lightning

A/N: I am so sorry for the long wait! Looks like life and school are going to be crazy busy this year. However, I will still try to update whenever I can. Thank you so much for your comments and patience!!! I hope to update once more before the end of the month.

Sunny biked over to Jessica’s house, making sure she was just on time. She was in a good mood that morning so it was easy to wake up, but she knew that Jessica would hate her if she came to her house any earlier than she was supposed to. The last time she did, she got quite a mouthful. And maybe a slap on her arm.

Jessica didn’t live too far considering Sunny’s speed on her bicycle and the clear morning road. All that could be seen were elderly couples or the occasional jogging person with their dog. So with a smile on her face and her music on full blast, Sunny made it to Jessica’s house just in time for 8 o’clock.

She knocked rather aggressively on her door. Jessica was the only one who could answer the door since her parents had work and her little sister was impossible to wake up. It made Sunny laugh thinking about the younger Jung. It seemed impossible before to find anyone harder to wake up than Jessica. Strangely enough she didn’t sleep nearly as much as Jessica did, she was just difficult to rouse.

Hopefully the girl was already awake however, since they didn’t have too much time to spare.

“Hurry up, Sica!” Sunny called out, her knocks getting louder and louder. She hoped she wasn’t making too much noise, for she didn’t want to disturb Jessica’s neighbours too much.

The door finally opened, slowly yet surely. On the other side stood Jessica, make-up on and fully dressed, but her eyes were closed. It was a trick of hers, apparently. It was supposed to give her a few extra seconds of sleep every time she allowed herself to close her eyes for long periods of time. Sunny thought it was ridiculous, but Jessica ignored her commentary anyway. Sooyoung actually does the same thing, taking Jessica’s advice to heart. Sunny thought the tall girl would grow out of it, the habit starting when they were younger. Years later however, things really didn't change.

Sometimes Sunny can’t believe that she’s friends with these people.

“You there?” Sunny asked, waving her hand in front of Jessica’s slightly droopy face. She giggled and waved it back and forth, watching as Jessica’s hair moved due to the slight breeze she created.

“Yes,” Jessica answered, fumbling her hands forward to look for Sunny. “You’re biking there right? I’m gonna sleep on your back, okay.”

It wasn’t even a question and no matter how often Sunny told her that it was dangerous, she’d still insist on doing it. It was strange though, Jessica’s grip was still insanely tight in her sleep. Sunny had a spare belt in her bag however for occasions like this, just in case.

“The diner is only a ten minute bike ride away,” Sunny laughed as she led the sleepy girl to her bike. She followed diligently, slightly dragging her feet with a small smile.

“Sleep is sleep,” Jessica answered simply, her eyes still not showing any signs of opening. She held a tight grip on Sunny’s hand, trusting her to lead the way without a problem.

It took a moment before Sunny took off. She kept looking back to see if the belt was on securely and she kept touching Jessica’s hands, urging her to hold on just a little tighter. She couldn't have her best friend flying off now, could she?

“We’ve been doing this for years now Soonkyu, let’s just go,” Jessica growled, growing impatient with Sunny’s slow start.

The smaller girl sighed and placed her feet on the pedals, ready to go. And as usual, a few minutes into the bike ride she could hear the soft snores of her sleepy best friend. She truly was a mystery.

When Sunny stopped in front of the diner, she shrugged her shoulders in an attempt to wake up the sleeping girl. With every minute that passed, Jessica’s snores only got louder and louder.

“We’re here sleeping beauty,” Sunny smiled as she jabbed Jessica, causing her face to scrunch up in annoyance. “Come on, let’s get some coffee in you.”

The diner was moderately busy, as per usual on a Sunday morning at 8:15AM. The two girls had frequented the place often since the beginning of their high school days so they were familiar with the waitresses.

From what they knew, the morning and afternoon waitresses were both already in university. The morning waitress, Yuri, had even gone to the same school as they did while the afternoon waitress came from the States after she graduated. She was newer, but she was super friendly and often enjoyed talking to the girls in English. Jessica was fluent, having lived in the States when she was younger, while Sunny understood a little bit.

Both girls were almost obnoxiously cheerful, almost. They worked hard and were a little clumsy, but they always made sure everyone had a smile on their face. Sometimes they’d work at the same time. Those rare moments were everyone’s favourites because the two were so into each other yet at the same time so oblivious that their relationship practically worked as a drama.

“Mornin’ you two! Enjoying your summer break so far?” Yuri chirped as she handed the two their menus.

“I’ve just been working,” Jessica groaned as she flipped through the menu. “Just get me the usual, Yul unnie.”

“Morning to you too, Yuri unnie,” Sunny greeted as she didn’t even bother to open the menu. “Mine has been alright, nothing too exciting. How about you?”

Yuri leaned against their booth as she began to scratch her chin shyly, “Well actually, due to recent events it has gotten a lot better.”

“Fany?” Sunny teased, knowing that cheesy smile on Yuri’s face very well. “Are you two finally going on a date?”

Yuri’s face immediately turned red, “How is it that everyone seems to be guessing this right?” she said with a slight chuckle, “Are we that obvious?”

Sunny, Jessica and the surrounding tables answered positively in unison. Even the chef and other servers joined in on the beautifully resounded “Yes!”

“Just get me the usual and go fan yourself, you look like you’re going to explode,” Sunny laughed before sticking her tongue out at the retreating Yuri.

“Looks like everyone’s hooking up,” Sunny continued to chuckle as she turned to Jessica. The other girl however didn’t look as tickled.

“I guess so,” Jessica mumbled as she slumped in the chair.

“I knew something was up,” Sunny declared, leaning in and taking in Jessica’s grumpy features. The older girl looked like a cat that was just doused in water or was refused a treat. “I told you I had something important to talk about and we’re not going to avoid the topic, okay?”

Jessica sighed, somehow knowing exactly what Sunny was going to talk about. She always cursed the shorter girl for her pesky observational skills. She had to blame herself too though, she was never the best at hiding her emotions.

“It’s about Taeyeon,” Jessica went straight to the point and Sunny had to cover to prevent herself from gasping out loud.

“You’re not saying…” Sunny started as formed a frown. She had anticipated this, thinking it was either Taeyeon or Sooyoung.

“I’m sorry for never telling you about it but…it’s embarrassing.” Jessica buried her face in her hands, hiding her blush and troubled face from Sunny. “I’ve liked her since we met and I guess there was never a time where I felt it was absolutely necessary to tell you so I kept it hidden.”

Sunny narrowed her eyes as she rubbed her chin thoughtfully, “How did I miss the signs?” She prided herself on being able to find out when someone liked someone else. She especially prided herself in being able to read Jessica like a book. Guess she’s losing her touch.

“Well, Taeyeon and I have always been close, so it must be harder to see,” Jessica responded with a shrug. She pouted and Sunny resisted the urge to pinch the other girl’s cheeks. “I guess it never really crossed your mind, neither did it cross Sooyoung’s.” She shook her head and imagined the possibilities.

“God, I’m surprised she didn’t put two and two together the second I started acting jealous when she made the first move,” she sighed, “Why am I friends with such observational people?”

“Is that why you haven’t really spoken to her since she started going out with Sooyoung? And why you’ve been acting different around Sooyoung too?” Sunny asked with a frown. This was bad, really bad. Unlike Jessica though, she was thankful for her observational skills.

“Yeah,” Jessica answered, her back slumping a little, “It because I want to pretend like nothing’s happened. But everything’s changed you know?”

Sunny nodded slowly, “You can see it too, right?”

“How can I not see it? Sooyoung sends me endless texts about the stuff she does thinking that I’m just in a sour mood about everything and that I’ll start replying to her normally again. I want to be there for her and support her for this, but it’s hard.” Their relationship was practically flaunting itself in her face every day. She sighed again, there was at least one consolation, “Taeyeon’s given me space at least. She always knows how to act when my mood sours.”

Sunny could only nod, wanting Jessica to open up as much as possible. She wasn’t entirely sure what to say, what she was supposed to say, but she knew that even just listening was somewhat helpful.

Yuri came by with their orders, quickly putting them down and going away. She could tell that the atmosphere was a little tense and when Sunny gave her a subtle look, she knew she shouldn’t say a thing. Must be some drama, she thought to herself.

“I’m not mad at Sooyoung or anything, but I am a little spiteful towards her for being braver than me,” Jessica continued, fiddling with her eggs. “I’m sure my anger towards her will go away with time and I’m thankful that she’s usually goofier with me when she knows I’m angry so she won’t think I hate her or anything. But what do you think, Sunny? Should I tell her?”

Sunny bit her bottom lip as she tapped her fork against her plate in thought, “I don’t know Sica, do you think it’ll change anything?”

“I think she’d back down,” Jessica replied in a low voice, almost whispering it. “But I can’t let that happen, she’s become so much happier.”

Sunny took a sip of her water before taking a bite of her pancakes, “You’re right about that. Sooyoung is incredibly selfless sometimes, especially when it comes to our happiness. But I don’t think that would make either of you feel better.”

Jessica nodded, “That’s what I thought about and told myself over and over again. So I kind of just hoped this would blow over after a week or so.”

The smaller girl slumped in her seat, wishing she could do something, anything to help Jessica out. But it was a difficult situation.

“Maybe you should tell Taeyeon how you feel?” Sunny offered with a shrug of her shoulders, “Her and Sooyoung are still fresh in their relationship and she’s not entirely sure how she feels about her. Maybe you still have a chance?”

Jessica shook her head, “No, that would just confuse Taeyeon and then Sooyoung would get mad for me not going to her first.” She sighed for the millionth time before stuffing some fruits in . "I think I just need to accept that I was too late.”

She didn’t want to, but it seemed like the only choice now.