History

Struck By Lightning

A/N: Hey guys! Sobs I'm sorry but I'm going to have to change my updates to once every other week instead of every week due to my insanity and desire to work on other fic and other life responsibilities. I'm sure you guys don't mind though, right? Thank you! Also, I seriously appreciate all the comments~ <3 Please enjoy this chapter!

The week after Suzy had showed up at her door with a binder in her hand and a wide smile on her face. No one else was home because Taeyeon had work so Sunny was only in shorts and a tank top. She nearly screamed upon seeing Suzy and blushed at her oh so comfortable appearance. She was glad that Yoona wasn’t there too.

“Hey Sunny unnie!” Suzy greeted before knocking again even though the door was open, “Could I come in?”

“Yeah sure,” Sunny said, opening the door a little wider to let Suzy in too. “What brings you here? And wait, unnie? Am I really older than you?”

Suzy decided to set down the binder first before taking a seat and looking back at Sunny, “Yeahup! You just graduated high school and I’m going into my final year. Yoona’s the same age as you as well but she’s going into her final year too because she missed a year because of an accident a year or so ago. I’m sure she’ll talk about it with you some day.”

She opened the book and Sunny sees a wide variety of apartment interiors.

“I came over to ask you which apartment you’d like to move into. Yoona chose her top three and since she’s busy today with fencing lessons I came to ask you for your opinion.”

“Fencing?” Sunny asked, tilting her head in curiousity, “Just how many extra lessons is this girl taking?”

“This girl is your future wife Sunny unnie!” Suzy responded, narrowing her eyes at Sunny. The smaller girl apologized quickly before laughing at Suzy’s dramatic defense for Yoona.

“Anyway, I think the extensive list would have to be fencing, piano, violin, ballet, contemporary, hip hop, jujutsu and kendo. She actually wanted to take a painting class and vocals but her parents said she had enough.”

Suzy had listed them with no breaths in between so Sunny was a little slow in picking that all up. She was impressed and a little terrified of the overwhelming number of things.

It showed in her face and Suzy couldn’t help but laugh.

“It’s really not that much,” Suzy said although her tone wasn’t very convincing. “Okay, maybe it’s a lot but Yoona unnie really enjoys everything, especially since it makes her parents happy.”

Sunny nodded and she could suddenly feel herself beginning to feel intimidated by Yoona and maybe a little inadequate in her shadow.

“Are your parents sure that she should marry me?” Sunny asked with a nervous laugh. “I’m just a normal girl who’s going to university after summer. The only classes I ever took was piano when I was a kid for like two years and then going to guitar and vocal classes with my sister. That didn’t last long either because we both got too busy with school and quit after 4 or so years.”

It wasn’t until she was finished her little spiel that she noticed that Suzy was actually writing down everything she was saying. Suzy looked up from her little spiral notebook and smiled when her eyes met Sunny’s.

“I wanted to remember what you said so I could tell Yoong later!”

Sunny sighed, “So you can tell her how much of a loser I am?”

Suzy shook her head, “Oh come on Sunny unnie. All I did was take singing lessons when I was a kid and that’s it and Yoona unnie loves me all the same.” She places a comforting hand on Sunny’s shoulder before roughly pulling her close for a hug, surprising the smaller but older girl.

“Anyway, take a look okay and tell me your top three. The ones marked with hearts are Yoona’s favourites and the ones with smiley faces are my favourites since she wanted my opinion too,”  she giggled as she flipped through the pages quickly. “Uncle and auntie are really detailed with these kinds of things since they want you two to live comfortably.”

She finally handed the book over to Sunny and it wasn’t until it was firmly in her lap when she realized how heavy it was.

“How many samples are in here?” she asked opening the binder to the first page. “Oh these are all really cute.”

“I think Yoong said it was about 200 pages worth?” she stopped what she was about to say when she saw Sunny’s jaw almost drop to the floor. It didn’t take much for Suzy to burst into laughter. “Unnie your mouth is almost as big as Yoong unnie’s!”

Suzy kept laughing and Sunny closed , wondering if there was anything wrong with the other girl or if she actually really looked that strange. But she found that she liked her anyway and just shook her head before looking down at the samples.

She flipped through the pages quickly as Suzy pulled out her 3DS to play a game while Sunny took her time to look through the book. She told the older girl that she didn’t have much to do that day so she could take as much time as she wanted.

Five pages in, Sunny spoke up again.

“Suzy, is it just me or did you put a smiley face on almost all of these?” Sunny asked with a light laugh. Somehow, she’s not too surprised.

“It’s really hard to choose just three,” Suzy pouted, looking back at Sunny and putting away her game system. “I mean look at how cute they all are! I get one of them too actually so I had to choose ones I liked and ones I liked for Yoona unnie and well…”

Sunny just shook her head before patting Suzy on the head affectionately, “Well, I appreciate your input and if you need help narrowing down your own options just ask me.”

Suzy’s face lit up and she grabbed Sunny into a tight hug once more, “Thank you so much unnie! I’m so glad that Yoong’s fiancé turned out to be as nice as you.”

Sunny was glad to have Suzy’s approval and patted the girl’s face this time as she continued to smile at her so brightly.

“So Suzy, are your parents as wealthy as Yoona?” Sunny asked after a bout of silence. She had spent about half an hour scouring through the book carefully, making sure she read all the details and looked at the photos properly.

Suzy shook her head, placing her device on her stomach this time. Her head had found its way onto Sunny’s lap as she continued to play Pokemon. Sunny didn’t seem to mind and in fact enjoyed how friendly Suzy was despite this being their second meeting. She felt like some sort of younger sister that she never had.

“Naw,” Suzy answered, shaking her head so much that Sunny had to stop looking at the binder to seize the younger girl’s head. “I actually used to live out in the countryside but then my parents died a year ago so I had to move in with auntie and uncle.”

Sunny watched Suzy’s expression turn a little sombre for a moment as she talked about her parents. She explained that her father became sick and only lasted another couple of months before passing away at the hospital. Her mother, who loved him so much passed away a few months later.

The younger girl was tearing a little despite the smile on her face as she told Sunny not to worry too much. But Sunny didn’t buy it and wiped away her tears before receiving a thank you.

“It’s been over a year and I still cry when I talk about it,” she laughed to herself, sniffling and now wiping away her tears with Sunny’s hands. “I wanted to tell you that you’ll get stronger after this experience but, I guess it’s not as convincing with me slobbering all over your hands.”

Sunny smiled at the younger girl on her lap and tucked the stray strands of hair sticking onto her tear stained face away.

“No, I believe you Suzy,” Sunny responded quietly, “So hey, if you want to cry just let it out.”

The younger girl shook her head, “No, it’s okay now. Thank you unnie.”

The two spent the next few hours looking over the binder and exchanging stories. They talked about the various games and manga series they both owned and Suzy told Sunny about a bunch of dramas she should catch. Suzy also shared more stories about her living in the country side with her parents and her last few days with them while Sunny shared how she’s been dealing with the recent death of her parents.

“You know, Yoona unnie is a really good listener,” Suzy said as the two ate a quick dinner that Sunny prepared for the both of them. “It was our first time meeting when I came over to live at their house but we managed to become friends in no time and she was always there for me when I felt lonely because of my parents.”

Sunny could believe Suzy’s word on that.

The two continued to chat as they discussed Sunny’s top five picks. She had picked three of Suzy’s favourites and two of the three Yoona had picked. After staring at all of her options, she figured that Yoona would be happy if she chose something she liked.

She would be her future wife after all, and Sunny was supposed to do her best to make her happy, right?

“Yoona has pretty mature taste,” Sunny commented nodding at the final pages before her. She had taken them out of the binder to get a better look at them. It surprised her considering how young they were.

“Yoona unnie can be both really mature and really immature,” Suzy laughed, not leaning back on her seat. She ate Sunny’s meal very well, to the older girl’s satisfaction. She was rather hungry and Sunny’s food was more delicious than she expected.

And then the door unlocked, Taeyeon’s loud voice booming throughout the house as she announced her return. She twirled as she took off her shoes and put down her bag, feeling extremely chipper. If Sunny saw her sister’s obnoxiously happy behaviour, she’d start laughing before punching the girl on the arm in an attempt to tell her to quit it.

“Soonkyu where are you?!” she called out before happily skipping to the kitchen. “I’m sorry I’m late but Sooyoungie surprised me after work.” She giggled afterwards, smiling at the memory of a flushed Sooyoung giving her flowers and offering to buy her an after work coffee. Not only was Taeyeon pleasantly surprised by the visit, but she revelled in Sooyoung’s embarrassed face. She wondered if she’d ever get used to it.

It was funnier considering she had seen the girl only hours before when she started her shift and Sooyoung left her own.

When she turned to the kitchen, she spotted Sunny sitting with a bunch of papers in front of her and a stranger sitting next to her. Except this stranger looked a little familiar.

“Oh, Taeyeonnie welcome home,” Sunny greeted nervously, not even realizing how much time had passed since Suzy had come. She was hoping that she would’ve left before Taeyeon came back to prevent any awkwardness.

“Hi! You’re Sunny unnie’s older sister right?” Suzy chirped, immediately getting up and giving Taeyeon a respectful bow. “My name is Suzy and I’m Sunny unnie’s friend and the cousin of her future wife, nice to meet you.”

Sunny got out the extra serving of food for Taeyeon she tucked away in case the two finished everything which was a good idea considering how much Suzy ate. She kept looking back at the pair sitting at the table as she heated up the food, curious as to how they were fairing. However, her fear for the awkwardness quickly went away when Suzy took the initiative and asked Taeyeon about herself.

“So how do you feel about your younger sister being engaged?” Suzy asked, clasping her hands together excitedly. “I know it’s probably weird but believe me, it becomes an exciting idea after a while. At first, I didn’t even believe it but hey! It’s like a fairy tale kind of story and I think that’s really cool.”

Taeyeon chuckled before finishing the little bit of water left in her glass, “I’m still in disbelief that it’s a thing that’s happening to be honest. I mean, my little sister? Engaged? You know she hasn’t dated since middle school.”

“Really?!” Suzy gasped in disbelief.

“I was hoping that wouldn’t ever come up,” Sunny groaned, glaring playfully at her older sister.

“Yeah, she’s really picky about the people she likes,” Taeyeon noted, wagging her finger. “Being my beautiful baby sister-“

“I’m only a year younger!”

“She was pretty popular, but she never really liked anyone enough to date them after her last boyfriend,” Taeyeon continued, ignoring Sunny’s glare into the back of her head for exposing her past.

“What happened?” Suzy asked, her eyes twinkling at the gossip. “I mean, if unnie doesn’t mind.”

Sunny sighed before waving her hand dismissively at the two before sitting down next to Suzy again.

“Well, this boy, Sungmin was his name I think. Sunny and him dated for three years! Can you believe that? I didn’t think she was serious back when she told me she had a boyfriend but they lasted pretty long. Unfortunately, the kid had to go to the States because of family matters. Sunny and him kept in contact, sending letters and occasionally calling each other over the internet, but they realized that it wasn’t the same and broke it off.”

Suzy kept nodding throughout the story and glanced over to Sunny who was fiddling with the sheets of paper in front of her. She noticed she looked a little down and placed a hand on her shoulder before squeezing it.

“Sungmin was special,” Sunny continued with a shrug, “I loved him a lot so I guess whoever was next had a lot to live up to. And well, I never found anyone like him again.”

Suzy nodded again before pulling Sunny in for a friendly hug, “I hope Yoona unnie could be that someone!”

Sunny looked over to Taeyeon who just smiled at her. Maybe.

The two explained their current situation to Taeyeon and the other girl just shrugged when asked her opinion about which place Sunny should call her home within the next week. Sunny growled at her useless sister before going back to her big decision.

Suzy had returned to her gaming console until Taeyeon decided that she really liked the younger girl and wanted to learn a bit more about her.

“So how about you, Suzy?” she asked before slurping the last bit of her stew. “What’s your love life like?”

Suzy closed her game and rested her chin on her hand before frowning.

“Non-existent right now,” she said sadly, looking over at Sunny. “I was in a similar situation to Sunny actually. It’s a long story.”

“We’re all ears if you’re willing to share,” Sunny said as she smiled at the suddenly down cast Suzy. It felt weird not seeing her grin so brightly.

“Well, it started the summer of my high school freshman year. She was an exchange student for the summer from China and we were her host family,” Suzy started, twiddling her thumbs at the memory. “It was a…an unforgettable five weeks we spent together before she had to go back to China.”

Taeyeon and Sunny nodded in sync, thinking that they know where this was going.

“We lasted pretty long actually. We sent each other gifts and letters and skyped when we both had the time. She got busier with college but that never stopped us from communicating. I loved her, a lot.”

“But what happened?” Taeyeon asked, watching Suzy carefully and suddenly incredibly intrigued by the ending of the story.

“I had a lot of family issues and I told this to Sunny but, my parents got sick and they both died. It was a mess and I was so focused on taking care of my mom after my dad passed away, but then I had to take care of myself when my mom passed away until I moved in with Yoona unnie and her family. Amidst all that chaos, I stopped responding to Jia and she never got my new address. It’s dumb, no wait, I’m dumb for not sending her a letter right away when things settled down with me. I waited too long and after that first letter, I never got one back. And when I tried skype she was never there either, so I figured she got mad at me and deleted my account or something.”

It started in the middle of her story, but Suzy was crying now. Sunny had tucked the papers away and held Suzy close as she cried into her shoulder and finished her story.

“Yoona unnie helped me get over everything and now, I just regret taking so long. I don’t know where she went and she probably thinks I disappeared too. This was only a year ago so I never really wanted to move on or anything…A part of me thinks that we’ll meet again and maybe things can go back to normal, you know? I thought about moving to where she lived after finishing university and I even started learning mandarin more seriously, in preparation.”

“You really loved her, huh?” Sunny said as she Suzy’s hair gently in an attempt to soothe her. “It sounds like you’ve gone through a lot.”

“I’m sure you guys will come into contact again,” Taeyeon added, walking over to the younger girls and joining in on the hug. “I just know it!”