Prologue

Struck By Lightning

Growing up, a lot of children really do believe that their parents are invincible. These tall, monstrous people that brought you to life, that created you, gave you a name and a home, they had to be immortal right? They were practically gods with the way they command you throughout your life, providing you with food and guidance.

Those thoughts ended for Sunny the moment her parents were taken away from her in a car accident the day of her graduation. She was mad at herself for not realizing how fragile life had been earlier. She felt foolish and altogether cheated.

Her parents had been late, extremely late for her ceremony. It was disheartening at first, not seeing her parents’ faces when she went up to grab that diploma. But now, oh how she wished that they were only late.

She never realized how much it was raining until she stepped outside and saw her older sister, sobbing underneath her umbrella. Sunny wanted to about the make up running down her face, about how ugly it made her look along with the crying. She figured that maybe she was emotional about her graduation, since the girl had a tendency of being emotional about everything in general (at least when no one was looking). But then she remembered that she didn’t see her face in the crowd either.

“Unnie, what’s wrong?” she asked, pulling her sister towards her and hugging her tightly. The older girl was shivering uncontrollably and her shirt was soaked despite the protection of her umbrella.

“Soonkyu-ah, they’re…”

“Shhh, calm down a bit, it’s okay just tell me what happened,” Sunny cooed, running her fingers through her older sister, Taeyeon’s hair. Although they didn’t share ages, they shared height which made it easier for Sunny to engulf her sister in a warm embrace.

“No you don’t understand…they’re…”

It wasn’t until Taeyeon broke the news when Sunny noticed the ambulance in the background and the police cars and the people gathered around. Had that always been there? She wondered. But even the loud sirens, the chattering people and the hard pouring rain couldn’t drown out her cries.

The funeral happened two days later.

It was a time like this where Sunny was thankful for her large family. She needed them most right now. Even though she always hated the sloppy kisses and memorizing everyone’s name, their touches and hugs helped the day pass by less painfully.

She couldn’t remember if she ever let go of Taeyeon’s hand that day. She knew that she might have been harming her circulation, but she couldn’t seem to settle down her grip. Sunny looked at her sister, torn and slightly blank as she gazed at the fresh grave stones of their father and mother.

On her other side was her cousin, Hyoyeon holding her other hand almost as tightly. Sunny could honestly say that she’s only ever seen the girl cry twice in their life. The first time, when she won first place at a dancing competition when she was 12, and the second time when her dog died just a few years ago. The older girl was always so happy, always joking around with her and Taeyeon when she was over. But now she was quiet, broken and confused.

“I’m so sorry,” Taeyeon mumbled, breaking the powerful silence between the three. “If I didn’t ask them to make that extra stop, they wouldn’t have…” The tears couldn’t even come out any more at this point, soft gasping and coughing being the only sounds forming.

They were the only ones left at the site, the friends and other family having left about an hour ago. All three girls stayed strong for their aunts, uncles, neighbours, smaller cousins and their parents’ coworkers, even though it was killing them on the inside. It wasn’t until the coast was clear when they truly let out their emotions.

“Stop saying that,” Sunny mumbled, kissing her sister’s shoulder in an attempt to comfort her. “These things…they happen.” Life happened and it was always full of surprises. Some filled with joy and some, not so much.

They stayed there for another hour before going out to get dinner together. Hyoyeon was the oldest out of the three and demanded that she paid the bill.

The girl actually had flown in from America just a week or so ago, finishing her final year of college through abroad studies. They had communicated through skype occasionally and even exchanged letters.

She was living with her roommate since her freshman year, her best friend and partner in crime that even followed her to the other side of the world. When she got back, she wanted to see the girls as soon as she could. It was unfortunate that this had to be their first meeting after a year.

But as usual, the girl made jokes as often as she could, trying to cheer the girls’ up. It had worked to a certain extent, and the girls were finally able to hold proper conversation without the urge to start crying.

It wasn’t until the end of the night, when the girls were sharing a whole cake in a café nearby when things took another turn.

“Are you Lee Soonkyu?” a man asked as he came up to her. A woman who they assumed to be his wife stood next to him, smiling at the group of girls. They looked to be in their 40s, maybe 50s and had a very calm and sophisticated air to them. They stood out profusely in the casual atmosphere of the café, where mostly students hung out.

“May I ask who’s asking?” Sunny politely asked back, smiling sweetly to the sudden strangers.

“Oh, yes I’m sorry for not introducing myself at first,” he coughed into his fist before clearing his throat. “My name is Im Ilhoon, and this is my wife Moon. You probably don’t remember us very well since you were very young the last time you saw us. If I remember correctly, you were only four and Taeyeon was 5.”

Taeyeon and Sunny exchanged looks before turning to Hyoyeon. The girl was a few years older than Taeyeon and they hoped that maybe she could enlighten them. But with no luck, the girl just shrugged. It didn’t help that she was never the best with names or faces. In their childhood, she had this habit of calling the two Sunyeon instead of their individual names.

“We were at the funeral earlier actually,” Ilhoon said with a firm nod, “We said our condolences earlier but I guess you don’t remember us.”

Moon nodded as well, “There were so many people there and I bet you three were too overwhelmed to think too much about it so we’re not surprised.”

Sunny could only nod in response, her mind trying to find the faces of the two standing before her. She thinks she remembers them, and if her memory served her right they had a daughter about her age as well.

“We and your parents go way back actually. We were going to drop by and say hi to them since we’ve been in and out of Japan for the last 12 years, but alas, this misfortune just had to pass.”

The three girls continued to stare at the older couple, not really sure where this was going next. They were speechless and a little uncomfortable.

“Actually, we are uncertain if this has been told to you yet, but your parents actually owe us little something. We are sure that you would like some time to recover from this loss, but it is an urgent matter. This is our address and we’d like you to come see us when you’re ready.”

Sunny was starting to get a little confused, disoriented. Everything sounded too business like and she didn’t like it one bit. But she nodded and kept quiet as she accepted the little card.

“Once again, we’re sorry for your loss,” the woman spoke before bowing, “And we hope to see you again soon.”

The three watched as the couple left the café quietly, unsure of what to make of the situation.

“That guy had a really weird mustache,” Hyoyeon commented, breaking the silence and causing Taeyeon to nearly choke on her tea. “It was like curled on the edges and trimmed in a really specific way.” She tilted her head and contemplated on the staches she’s seen throughout her life. “I guess it’s an old man thing? I don’t know.”

Taeyeon raised her brow, “Really? That’s all you have to say about this situation?”

Hyoyeon shrugged, “They seemed nice, although a little stuffy. I only know as much as you do so I guess we can’t really react until Sun Bun goes to see them.”

Sunny grimaced at the childhood nickname, “Really Hyo?”

Hyoyeon just chuckled before taking a whole slice of cake in at once, “Anyway girls, I’ll text you and you should come over soon. I promised Min I’d be back before midnight. She misses you guys so you should see her too. Also, our neighbours oh man, that’s a story for next time.”

She engulfed her cousins in a breath taking hug, almost breaking their bones with her grip. It was moments like this where Sunny remembers that Hyoyeon frequented the gym. She chuckled before tenderly kissing them both on the forehead.

“I love you guys, take care of each other okay?” she gave them her signature wink and salute before disappearing for the night.

When Hyoyeon left, Sunny and Taeyeon had to take responsibility for the last half of the cake.

“You’re not going there alone, okay? I’m going with you,” Taeyeon declared, food still in . Crumbs were flying as the girl rudely spoke with full and Sunny could only giggle as she wiped her older sister’s mouth.

“Don’t worry Taeyeonnie,” she cooed, removing the rest of the chocolate from her face. “I can handle this myself okay? I was thinking of going this weekend since I didn’t really have any plans. And Saturday is your big date, right?”

Taeyeon’s face fell as she pouted cutely at her little sister, “But Sunny, I can cancel okay I’ll go with you.”

“I’m not a baby anymore unnie,” Sunny groaned, shaking her head and grabbing her sister’s hand. “I’m an adult now and…now that mom and dad are gone I really need to act like one. This can’t be all that bad, and if anything happens I’ll call you okay?”

“You promise?” Taeyeon tilted her head, squeezing her little sister’s hand tightly.

“I promise.”