Unexpected Meetings

Do Kyungsoo's High School Adventures

 

 

Kyungsoo's eyes flutter open and his nose wiggles from the delicious scent invading his room. A small smile finds its way on his face but is soon twisted into a frown of confusion. His room isn't white. It's blue. Why are there so many boxes around? Since when did the sun hit his eyes when he rolls over onto his other side? Oh, that's right, he moved yesterday. Today me and Hyunsik were supposed to wash Mrs. Lee's dog together then go and buy that new flavor of bubble tea down at the shop.

 

With a soft sigh he sits up in his bed and makes his way out from under the warm covers. He shivers as his small feet touch the cold ground and scrunches his nose up for the second time this morning, though this one wasn't as welcoming. Kyungsoo dances his way around the jungle of cardboard and makes his way downstairs to the kitchen.

 

"Morning Sunshine," His mom gives a heartwarming smile and motions with her spatula for him to sit at the table then flips the pancake in the pan. "Did you sleep well? You look like you're glowing." She teases a bit while cooking and Kyungsoo grins.

 

"That's because of the sliding door, Umma. Buuuuut," He drags out the last word and his eyes sparkle in happiness, "I did get a good night's sleep! Are you okay? Do you think Appa's going to like this place? Isn't he supposed to be back next month? Are we going out this time? Oh, but he'd want to see the new house. Did you talk to him recently? Did he ask about me? About Hyunsik? You know Hyunsik's been thinking about joining the drama club back in school. Ah, I mean, at his school that is. And..." Kyungsoo's small rambling dies down when he sees his mom step away from the stove and slips off the baby blue apron that he got her for Christmas a couple of years ago. He furrows his eyebrows in confusion and looks to her curiously as she makes her way over to the table and crouches down in front of him.

 

"Kyungsoo," Her voice is soft and he notices the sadness she's trying to mask by having a strong hold on his hand. "I talked to your Appa last night and he said he can't come home until after Christmas, I'm sorry. But, we can send him presents and he said he'd send some things for us too so it'll be like he's here!" She cups his cheeks and tries to comfort him by running her thumbs along his skin but her touch burns and Kyungsoo doesn't know if he's strong enough not to show something besides sorrow and hurt because what's Christmas without your family? Nevertheless, he sits tall and squares his narrow shoulders then gives a small smile to his mom.

 

"At least you'll be here, right? So that's all we need. I'm not really hungry, can I go out and look around?" He speaks in a hushed voice then bounces up onto his feet. "I'm going to go get dressed, be back before dinner!" His short legs run up the stairs and he flies to the box labelled 'Clothes' with a small 'e' squeezed in between the 'h' and 's'- he was in a bit of a hurry when writing.

 

Underwear, underwear, underwear- Ah! Here we go, okay. Pants? Shorts? Eh, jeans. Halfway there. There's my green shirt I was looking for last week! Ah, and a cozy sweater, it looked windy today I don't want to get a cold when I have school in a few days... Wait! Where's-

 

"Socks are with your shoes Kyungsoo you said it'd be easier if they were together, remember?" His mom calls from the doorway and chuckles as he dives for the box with 'For My Feetsies' in black sharpie. Her son was so cute and he didn't even know it- an accidental heartbreaker! Mrs. Do laughed to herself and she goes into her room, wanting to get their things unpacked quickly.

 

Kyungsoo finishes picking out his clothes along with his personal hygiene supplies, making sure to call out a thank you to his mom, and walks to his bathroom with a hop in his step, happy to experience that new bathroom smell. He undresses, showers away yesterday's trophy of hardwork, gets dressed in his outfit for the day and runs out the house. It's sunny but he made a good choice to bring a sweater since the wind seems to have taken interest in his hair. The invisible fingers become greedy with its touches, each wave a bit more needy than the last but the small boy doesn't seem bothered. He steps out from his yard and walks down the street, making his way towards the general direction of his school. It's somewhere over here, I think..

 

 

●●●

 

 

Lost. So very, very lost. Didn't he pass by that same house twice already? And that vegetable garden looks awfully familiar. Getting lost is really tiring, especially since all he wanted to do was see the school he'll be going to. Now, Kyungsoo just wants something to drink and his stomach agrees with him. I should've eaten breakfast...

 

While rubbing his crying tummy, the doe-eyed boy shuffles inside of the next convenience store that he sees- even if it's the same one he's passed by over four times. The bell above his head rings and not wanting to get any curious stares, scurries into the aisles. He looks around at the small snacks, mouth creating its own waterfall at imagining the savory artificial cheese flavor of Doritos or maybe Cheetohs. Not wanting to spend a lot of money, Umma always says don't go shopping when you're hungry, he grabs a bottle of Iced Tea and maneuvers his way through the people in the snack filled rows to get to the register.

 

The short legs of the equally as short boy stumble up to the cashier, nerves whispering to his eyes to look down at the counter. This’ll be the first new person he’ll meet and the other boy was far beyond handsome. Kyungsoo nibbles on his top lip and shyly glances up once he fishes out his duck shaped wallet from his jeans pocket then gives the boy behind the counter a smile.

 

 

Oh, Wow. The cashier hasn’t gotten a new customer in a while and never one this cute. He stares at Kyungsoo’s big doll eyes then soon finds his way to the smaller’s lips. Since when could something be so plush and red? He’s seen beautiful artworks and scenes in movies that pull at his heartstrings but never has he laid his eyes on something so true, so perfect. His voice must be the same melody that Apollo played when Asclepius was born for it must be able to heal souls.

 

“Ah, h-hello? Excuse me.. I just want something to drink.. Are you okay?” Oh the tale reigns true! No one but an angel could have such a euphonious voice. Did he die of boredom like he predicted he would? Is this is reward for constantly listening to his friend Luhan’s ing, er, bickering- he doesn’t want the God's to take away such a gift.

 

“What?” Baekhyun calls out lamely. Oh god, not attractive at all! He splutters in embarrassment in his mind, flailing his imaginary limbs around his thoughts. He really has to stop reading all those Greek Mythology stories on the internet but damn, if he didn’t want something so delicious. Wasn’t Christmas coming soon? Perhaps this cutie could be an early birthday present. Strapped to his bed in nothing but-

 

“J-Just this is fine.” Kyungsoo goes back to chewing on his lips while gently pushing the bottle of tea a bit closer to the boy behind the counter. Why was he staring? Do I have something on my face?

 

Noticing the clueless look of the other, Baekhyun chuckles and his true self is unleashed.

 

“Just this? Don’t you want to try me?” He smirks and his lips while eating up the sight of the flustered boy.

 

"T-Try w-what!?" Kyungsoo squeaks out a hurried reply of forgetting his house at his money, when he notices the other boys hand about to reach out towards him, and runs out of there.

 

His poor heart can’t take such a handsome guy looking at him like that. Kyungsoo wanting him? More like him wanting Kyungsoo! Oh how strange. Strange, strange, strange. Let's not go there again.

 

Meanwhile, Baekhyun blinks in surprise that his words chased the little kitten away. He was just getting started, how unfair. He didn’t even get to play with his prize. Having the strange feeling that he’ll see him again, by fate or by his own doing, he pulls out a small booklet with a red and gold emblem on the front. Baekhyun was switching out of Art for the new year and looking for a different class. The reason? If he had to hear Kris telling him that he needs to make his lines more prominent or shade like this and “it’s all in the wrist” one more time- he’d shoot himself. And by himself, he means Kris.

 

“Wait. Was his wallet a duck?” The lined up eyes of the flirty devil squints as he laughs to himself, while looking like a maniac to everyone there. “Such a cutie. Can’t wait for him to be mine.” He sighs as he recalls the short meeting and gives the stink eye to the new customer trying to get his attention. “Don’t you see I’m busy?” He puts up the ‘Register is Closed’ sign and sits back on the stool next to the machine while taking out a Vogue magazine, flipping through the pages casually as his mind roams to red lips and big eyes.

 

 

●●●

 

 

A small body shuffles past people along the sidewalk, excuse me’s and pardon me’s being met by deaf ears. Finally getting his feathers ruffled enough, he wiggles his way past two bodies and pushes through to freedom. Kyungsoo squeals as he hits what seems like a brick wall and falls backwards, silently praying for forgiveness with his eyes squeezed shut. All he wanted was to get to the bus stop before the thing left and now, he’ll be lucky to make it to the next crosswalk without being trampled over.

 

Falling sure does take a long time and in a state of blind curiosity, he opens up his eyes to look at- He has to call Hyunsik, their dream of being in the Lord of the Rings was coming true.

 

“Are you okay?” The tall elvish man calls out amused by the awestruck look in the doe’s eyes. Kyungsoo gives a shaky sigh and gingerly places his fingertips upon the creatures cheek. He never imagined them to be so warm. Wah! And they have a lot of teeth!

 

“A-Are you from Mirkwood..” Kyungsoo calls out in a dazed state. This brings out a booming laugh from the taller and Kyungsoo quickly escapes the dream he was in, cheeks burning red.

 

“Mirkwood? Why; want to go to Rivendell with me, Bambi?” He grins and tightens his hold around the red boy’s waist, the feeling of warmth taking over his body. Chanyeol laughs once more as the boy in his embrace splutters out apologies and flails his tiny arms in embarrassment. He thinks about how much the boy looks like a doll. Maybe he is one? Chanyeol thinks as he reaches his hand dangerously low and cups a perky cheek in his giant palm. Oh. Nope. Definitely human, and absolutely mouthwatering.

 

Kyungsoo hits his small hands against the elf’s chest once he feels a hand grip onto his backside. That’s not for touching! He screams in his head. His neck, along with his ears, follow the patterns of his face and bloom into a scarlet red. This place is dangerous!

 

“My name’s Chanyeol. I’ll see you again soon, Bambi.” He winks and lets go of the tomato faced Kyungsoo then moves past him after sending him another one of those smiles. Kyungsoo looks at him speechless because even if it was a bit creepy, it made his heart flutter just a bit.

 

Bambi, as Chanyeol likes to call him, remembers about the bus leaving soon and makes a dash for the stop. Looks like he’ll be returning home a lot earlier than he said he would. Wonder why.

 

 

●●●

 

 

Chanyeol ruffles his hair as he makes his way to the familiar convenience store his friend works at. A boyish grin stays on his face even when he throws open the door and calls out his friends name. The eye lined boy behind the counter doesn’t look amused by the turn up of his friend even if he asked Chanyeol to drop off his summer history notes- he had an academic reputation to uphold, thank you very much.

 

“I think, I met an angel.” The giant sighs dreamily and Baekhyun furrows his eyebrows, clearly confused. His eyes scan Chanyeol before narrowing.

 

“Oh no you don't Park Chanyeol!” He screams and uses the counter to launch himself at his best friend, successfully tackling the younger- Only by six months would be Chanyeol’s retort- to the ground.

 

From outside the small store you can hear high pitched screaming and a deep howling of pain. The people walking around would be scared if they didn’t hear it every day.

 

 

●●●

 

 

“Umma, I’m home!” The sweet voice calls out into the now occupied house.

 

“Kyungsoo just in time! One of the neighbors sons here for a visit; come say hi!” Mrs. Do calls from the kitchen and when Kyungsoo steps inside of the living room with his pororo socks, he stops in his tracks. His eyes land on another beautiful creature- Is this place full of them?

 

“Hi," A mischevious flicker happens in the neighbor's eyes before he puts on a face of false innocence- unbeknownst to the clueless Kyungsoo. "My name’s Luhan.”

 


Hello Middle Earth!

Quick notes: Apollo is the god of music and his son is Asclepius the god of medicine so the text had some clues but this is just to solidify that idea. Yeah... and there were Lord of the Ring references because Chanyeol looks like an elf. Come on, I know everyone out there knows what I'm talking about! Also, I got the question if Kyungsoo is the maknae in this story, and he's not. Well truthfully, never thought of that idea. I like when he's called Hyung though so he's still younger than most and older than the three youngest. Cool? Alright, thanks for reading!