Let's Be Friends?

Butterfly

Now that I have my phone back, it's time to call my mother from the States. She must be dying to know what going on with my life now that I'm in Seoul now. I walked through the streets of Gangnam and passed by gadget stores. It was like an aisle full of televisions, camera, tablets and phones from different well known acclaimed companies. 

"Mom? I'm here in Seoul now" 

"Really? How was the flight? Is it cold there? Did you put on the sweater I bought for you? I told you to take that sweater with you, did you pack it in your bag? Is you're aunt there with you......................."

Geez, I just got to Seoul and her billion questions at once shot me me like a gun. "I'm fine mom. Don't worry too much, you raised me well" we both laugh. The conversation went on for another 3 minutes as I walked around the area. Who knows, I might find something that I may find. On one corner in a store that sells television. A music video was shown which made my jaw dropped on the ground. My mom was still talking on the phone but I am speechless at what I am watching. It can't be. It just looks like him.

"Good afternoon maam, looking for a television?" a person in uniform appraoched me with the widest smile and the weirdest of bangs. I shook my head and lowered my phone. "Who are they?" i asked casually as I pointed my finger towards the music video. The seller looked at me as if I was weird or something. However her weird smile didn't leave her face. "They're SHINee. They're the hottest band of 2010 under the famous agency SM Entertainment." my jaw dropped even more. Still hesitant with myself, I asked her again "I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with them but if you may, can you tell me there names?" Again, she shot me this weird look. I don't live in a rock, I'm not just familiar with them. 

"Weird. People your age would know who they are. But anyways.... that one is Onew, the one with the black hair is Jonghyun. The guy with the edgy haircut is Key and that tall member is Minho" she pointed at them one by one. "and the pretty face is Taemin" if my jaw could drop on the ground, I think it would.

No wonder he passed by an empty corridor, attacked by a bunch of crazy girls, rode a van with tinted windows, and was devastated knowing that I wasn't a fan.............. he's a celebrity!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not just any celebrity. But a celebrity that is currently one of the most popular here in this country. I thanked the seller and hung up my phone call. I kept walking and walking. I did search SHINee on the web. My eyes cannot believe what I am reading right now. 

Wait! Why am I tensed? It's not like I did something wrong, right? It's not like I sold his phone on Daum and had every fan of his bid up on it. No. We both had our phones exchange and that's it. Besides, celebrities like him don't really have time for her kind of people. Just walk it off, Krystal. 

And that's exactly what I did. I went home, took a bath and cooked myself a nice dinner. It wasn't the perfect meal but I'm prefectly fine with it. The apartment was big for two people so I'll just have to make myself at home. I the TV while I ate my dinner. 

1 message received!

I opened to read it, and it was an unknown number. Not that my contacts knew this person.

"Sorry but I looked through your phone today TT"

"Who are you?"

"Wow! You owe me for bringing your phone back and that's how you show me? This is Taemin!"

"ahhhhh..... YOU owe me for bringing your phone back too =P"

"Look, i feel bad for what happened and for accusing you of stealing it. I wanna make it up to you."

"How?"

"Are you free tomorrow? We can meet up at the same place tomorrow ^^"

"sure~"

I don't know why but there was something about him that is entirely different from the Taemin i saw in that music video. Yeah he is a bit rough on the edges in real life but then again, I'm also rough on the edges as well. 

As morning rose, I put on my trench coat and went out to go to that abandoned park. However, I came too early for him to arrive. Smirk. Why did I get too excited to go out in the morning? I did buy two coffees on my way here. Since he's making up for something he overreacted upon, i think i should too. It's mature that way.

"Sorry for being late" he smiled.

"Don't" i handed him the coffee that I bought. For awhile, he stare at the coffee cup on my hand.

"I-- I" he stuttered. 

"it's just coffee. If you don't want it, it's okay. It's my peace offering anyway" I glared back at him. How insensitive?! Doesn't he know that he's suppose to take it whether or not he likes it. Or at least a gentleman would.

He then slowly reached out for it and took it from me. "I'm not used to girls handing me coffee. Well at least not my fans" he chuckled. And right there, I couldn't help but smile as well. It was the first time that I have seen him smile or chuckle for that matter. Yesterday on the airport he looked sleepy, and then when we met here he looked scared. Right now, he looked calm and casual.

So I had to pretend that I still don't know him even though I already did. For me, it was best to make him feel at ease. Celebrities tend to be indifferent to people when they know they're being watched. And I didn't want that. I just want him to act like himself. No pretenses. Just the real him.

"Here." he gave me a small gift wrapped box. When I opened it, it was a small butterfly phone accessory. "Don't get me wrong but it's the only thing I could buy because I can't really go out.... out" he explained "I'm busy plus I'm not allowed to go out that much" he let out a big sigh.

Looking at him I know that he doesn't have that much freedom. He hides himself from people most of them time. "Is that why this is where you go to?" I titled my head to look at him. He nodded back.

"This is the only place where my thoughts are sane with my actions." he uttered as he stretched his limbs "I get to be free here even for just an hour" 

His face was smiling but the tone of his voice was sad. 

"I love my job too much but everything about it is .................." he paused for awhile. He was cautious of his words"............. suffocating" we sat down near the oak tree. "Suffocating?" I asked.

"Schedules... security... time... practice..." he slowly named them. I get it. I get that he can't handle the pressure. 

"I think people our age just needs some time off"

"It doesn't work that way in my world"

I looked at him and agreed. "What do I know right?" i smiled.

"it's a good thing my members are like my family." he explained.

"Then there's no reason for you to be sad then"

"I'm not sad" he smiled again. "I just want to be alone sometimes. It makes me think correctly if I can just sit here and let my thoughts flow" 

"Well they say 'misery loves company'" i laughed.

"You have me mistaken for. I'm not miserable nor sad nor indiffirent. I'm just...." he took another deep sigh "... lonely"

I looked at him. I became speechless. Something about that word and the way he said it made me feel his pain. I know what it's like to be lonely too. I know how it feels like to have all the support from the people you love but is always never enough. "You don't have to be now." i told him.

"Can we be friends then?" his eyes stared back at mine.

"Yes..."

We may be on different worlds but I can relate to him. I also felt the sadness and the loneliness when my father left my mother and abandoned my sister and I. I was 5 yrs old back then, I didn't know what life was like but i understood the pain that my father left behind. I grew up to be the girl that is fearless and stoned but deep down inside, I was as shattered as everybody else. I didn't want anyone to see me cry, I grew up that way. 

And for Taemin to take a big bold step to ask something like that to someone like me, I shall motivate him more. I'm not going to expect much but I hope the two of us can become close friends.